Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) 14:41 - Apr 3 with 837 viewshampstead_blue

A chap at work has a member of the family in law. A Partner in a regional firm.

Lots of lawyers are already getting their 'did your employer follow the guidelines?' pitch ready for daytime TV.

The depths. I'd put them next to greedy footballers who take no pay cut and watch the real workers get furloughed.......

(what's the best smiley for 'give me strength and can I have one where I am loading a pistol please)

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:50 - Apr 3 with 770 viewsmonytowbray

If they are "No win, no fee" then power to them.

We used to have publicly funded legal assistance but your martyrs got rid of that as we can't have the plebs armed to win the rights they deserve by law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50923289

So if it bothers you that much perhaps you should write to your local Conservative MP.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:52 - Apr 3 with 764 viewssparks

Unless someone suffers very serious illness, and can demonstrate that it would not have happened but for a particular breach by an employer (which strikes me as exceptionally difficult to prove with a virus you can get from anywhere) it is difficult to see where such matters would ever succeed.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:53 - Apr 3 with 750 viewsmonytowbray

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:52 - Apr 3 by sparks

Unless someone suffers very serious illness, and can demonstrate that it would not have happened but for a particular breach by an employer (which strikes me as exceptionally difficult to prove with a virus you can get from anywhere) it is difficult to see where such matters would ever succeed.

I imagine there will be plenty of employment law cases off the back of this though, with all the dismissals going on.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:54 - Apr 3 with 751 viewshampstead_blue

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:50 - Apr 3 by monytowbray

If they are "No win, no fee" then power to them.

We used to have publicly funded legal assistance but your martyrs got rid of that as we can't have the plebs armed to win the rights they deserve by law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50923289

So if it bothers you that much perhaps you should write to your local Conservative MP.

Let me think about your reply.

If that had been posted by a forum member known for their left wing anti-capitalist views you would have dropped your pants and taken one.

However, as I am a Tory, albeit on the left of the party, you think it's ok for ambulance chasing lawyers to elicit spurious claims.
The only losers are businesses who get hammered on professional insurances. A lot of people will pile in milk it as much as they can....

There may be some rogue employers....but...

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:58 - Apr 3 with 741 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:52 - Apr 3 by sparks

I think the success would be where the employers have not followed the law.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It is an employer's responsibility to know and follow the law. If they cannot they should seek legal advice before acting. The law is there for a reason.

I do not like the ambulance-chasing desperate lawyers but there is a case for giving power to the oppressed employee who no longer gets proper union advice.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:05 - Apr 3 with 714 viewssparks

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:58 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It is an employer's responsibility to know and follow the law. If they cannot they should seek legal advice before acting. The law is there for a reason.

I do not like the ambulance-chasing desperate lawyers but there is a case for giving power to the oppressed employee who no longer gets proper union advice.

A claim would require the demonstration of damage/ loss- and causation.

How would one prove, on the balance of probabilities, that it was an employer's imperfect social distancing procedures, rather than your trip to the supermarket which caused you to become ill?

Not impossible, but very difficult.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:17 - Apr 3 with 674 viewssparks

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:05 - Apr 3 by sparks

How would one prove, on the balance of probabilities, that it was an employer's imperfect social distancing procedures, rather than your trip to the supermarket which caused you to become ill?

Probably worth noting, whilst I am here, that legal Aid for injury claims went in 2000.

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:19 - Apr 3 with 669 viewsRegencyBlue

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 14:58 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ambulance chasing lawyers only benefit one group.

Ambulance chasing lawyers!
Login to get fewer ads

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:19 - Apr 3 with 667 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:05 - Apr 3 by sparks

If they are looking for damages due for loss caused by long-term effects or death due to the virus I see your point.

I was reading it more as those employers who have not properly implemented furlough or similar. I know some employers have offered a choice between furlough and redundancy. Whether that is a correct interpretation of the law I don't know.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:20 - Apr 3 with 663 viewssparks

Is your pencil sharp? (said the lawyer starting to look at C19 claims) on 15:19 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

If they are looking for damages due for loss caused by long-term effects or death due to the virus I see your point.

I was reading it more as those employers who have not properly implemented furlough or similar. I know some employers have offered a choice between furlough and redundancy. Whether that is a correct interpretation of the law I don't know.

There might be issues with furlough stuff and unfair dismissal etc I suppose. Hardly going to be a cash cow for claimants and lawyers though.

Tribunals dont often make costs awards.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 15:23]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024