Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 23:17 - Jul 27 with 1494 viewsStokieBlue

Not that they will care given it doesn't reach their internal audience within the great fire wall but Panorama was pretty damning on the Chinese governments early response to C19 this evening:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000k4dq/panorama-chinas-coronavirus-cover

One scientist thought they could have reduced global infections by 95% if they had told the WHO about human-to-human transmission when they first knew about it and entered lockdown at that point rather than letting everyone travel for Chinese new year.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 23:37 - Jul 27 with 1435 viewsjeera

I'd just opened this article a few minutes before you posted, but haven't seen the programme yet.

As it says, it's clear the Chinese government had no intention of allowing information to be released until it was too late and legally there should be consequences, but what and how?

China's off the rails at the moment, with this and HK and their treatment of the Uighurs, recent infringement on India, ongoing with Tibet, Taiwan, etc...

How the feck do you get something that size back into its box now?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/27/china-truth-coronavirus-pa

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 23:59 - Jul 27 with 1389 viewsStokieBlue

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 23:37 - Jul 27 by jeera

I'd just opened this article a few minutes before you posted, but haven't seen the programme yet.

As it says, it's clear the Chinese government had no intention of allowing information to be released until it was too late and legally there should be consequences, but what and how?

China's off the rails at the moment, with this and HK and their treatment of the Uighurs, recent infringement on India, ongoing with Tibet, Taiwan, etc...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/27/china-truth-coronavirus-pa

It does look like they might be overplaying what they perceive as a strong hand at the moment. They also seem to think that statements which work with their internal audience play in the same way to external parties. Their UK ambassadors statements about the Uighurs last week were ridiculous.

They are also having a bit of a barney with Australia at the moment as the Aussies are refusing to accept the Chinese claims in the South China Sea:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53536173

The Aussies are in the right here though, the UN has rejected China's claims but China has ignored that resolution.

As you've pointed out though, nothing can be done about it unless it's an effort involving many countries and the acceptance of some economic pain for those countries.

SB

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 07:08 - Jul 28 with 1238 viewsGlasgowBlue

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 23:37 - Jul 27 by jeera

We can’t use the excuse this time by GlasgowBlue 17 Jul 2020 9:56
The entire world to treat China as a pariah nation. Massive sanctions. A Magnitsky law.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:05 - Jul 28 with 1123 viewsStokieBlue

Massive fishing fleet of 260 Chinese vessels sitting just outside the exclusion zone in the Galapagos.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/27/chinese-fishing-vessels-gala

SB

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:06 - Jul 28 with 1120 viewshampstead_blue

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 07:08 - Jul 28 by GlasgowBlue

We can’t use the excuse this time by GlasgowBlue 17 Jul 2020 9:56
The entire world to treat China as a pariah nation. Massive sanctions. A Magnitsky law.

One massive collective action seems to be the only thing big enough to make them listen.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:14 - Jul 28 with 1103 viewsGeoffSentence

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:06 - Jul 28 by hampstead_blue

One massive collective action seems to be the only thing big enough to make them listen.

It needs to be done, but the cynic in me says it wont. They have too much that the world wants. Cheap goods and valuable resources.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:18 - Jul 28 with 1097 viewsgiant_stow

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:14 - Jul 28 by GeoffSentence

It needs to be done, but the cynic in me says it wont. They have too much that the world wants. Cheap goods and valuable resources.

Returning manufacturing jobs, environment concerns and security of supply, should all combine with their recent behaviour to make a strong case for correcting this. Dreaming I spose.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:24 - Jul 28 with 1086 viewsStokieBlue

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:18 - Jul 28 by giant_stow

Returning manufacturing jobs, environment concerns and security of supply, should all combine with their recent behaviour to make a strong case for correcting this. Dreaming I spose.

It's all a matter of whether people are prepared to pay a bit more for their stuff and whether they are able to pay a bit more.

Lots of people do that already by shopping locally and using local trades but it would require a huge shift by all the Western population to really make an impact.

Are 1bn people willing to pay 700 GBP instead of 350 GBP for their TV (numbers are just picked randomly)?

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:29 - Jul 28 with 1080 viewsgiant_stow

Panorama this evening on the early Chinese response to C19 on 09:24 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

It's all a matter of whether people are prepared to pay a bit more for their stuff and whether they are able to pay a bit more.

Lots of people do that already by shopping locally and using local trades but it would require a huge shift by all the Western population to really make an impact.

Are 1bn people willing to pay 700 GBP instead of 350 GBP for their TV (numbers are just picked randomly)?

SB

Yes, see the problem, but maybe a govt with a bit of imagination and leadership could persuade enough people. Seems like with falling out with China anyway, so maybe there's less to lose than a few years back.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024