Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salary Cap bollox musings 08:39 - Aug 8 with 1575 viewsKeno

Let say we had an astute owner who ran a global hospitality media type business who wanted to a sign a player, lets call him Jayden Kackson.

We know there is the cap in place so he offers him a "standard' £5k per week for a 2 yr deal with a clause with a 2 yr extension

what's to stop him offered Jayden a signing on fee of say £500,000 but with instalments paid over the of the contract with a clause offering a similar fee for renewing, that effectively gives him another £5,000 per week

Jayden pays his agent 10%, which effectively reduces what he earns to £4,500 pw and £450,000 for the fee so we include a clause that effectively means the club pays the agents fees

Jayden has to travel from some god forsaken part of the country, lets call it 'the north' but rather than do that the club allow him to stay in a property owned by the club near the Town for the term of his contract.

The owner recognised that Jayden may have the 'gift of the gab" so completely independently from any club contract offers him to change to do some PR (not Portman Road) for his lobal hospitality media type business which pays .... lets say £2,500 pw

Jayden would like a nice car and so through one of club sponsors he is given the use of a nice shiny new set of wheels with all expenses paid

Jayden likes a nice holiday and purely coincidently the owners lobal hospitality media type business has some venues he could do PR work at and combine that with some weeks in the sun

Jayden is a thoughtful young man and is thinking about his future. Being a caring and progressive employer the club has in place a scheme which funds any training and education a players wants too undertook and actually offered players grants of up to say £100,000 per year towards this.

the beloved HMRC look at some of these arrangements and you hear "P11D" being muttered. Well within any of the contracts it is agreed that the club or the lobal hospitality media type business will cover any additional HMRC liabilities arising from this arrangements

Now surely the club have stuck to the principles of the cap, haven't they???

[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 8:42]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Salary Cap bollox musings on 08:48 - Aug 8 with 1526 viewsBloomBlue

I'm sure it said signing on fees are included as part of the wages cap as was those dodgy 'name rights' type deals, but doing a second job that wasn't mentioned that might work.
One of ME's other companies pays J Kackson 4k a week to put advertising material into envelopes, that wouldn't be part of the Town wages
Salary Cap bollox musings on 08:50 - Aug 8 with 1517 viewsKeno

Salary Cap bollox musings on 08:48 - Aug 8 by BloomBlue

I'm sure it said signing on fees are included as part of the wages cap as was those dodgy 'name rights' type deals, but doing a second job that wasn't mentioned that might work.
One of ME's other companies pays J Kackson 4k a week to put advertising material into envelopes, that wouldn't be part of the Town wages

a good question

It could be a completely independent contract to do completely independent work not connected with the club

Salary Cap bollox musings on 08:51 - Aug 8 with 1518 viewsHerbivore

The cap includes wages, bonuses, expenses etc. It seems to be fairly watertight in terms of the workarounds you're suggesting. The only exemptions are cup and promotion bonuses.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Salary Cap bollox musings on 08:52 - Aug 8 with 1512 viewsWeWereZombies

Excellent depth of thought exercised there, and a well drafted argument, I won't mention the Battenberg PR debacle at all...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:07 - Aug 8 with 1465 viewsPhilTWTD

Salary Cap bollox musings on 08:50 - Aug 8 by Keno

a good question

It could be a completely independent contract to do completely independent work not connected with the club

You mean along the lines of John Cobbold officially employing Colin Viljoen as his gardener?
Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:16 - Aug 8 with 1432 viewsWeWereZombies

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:07 - Aug 8 by PhilTWTD

You mean along the lines of John Cobbold officially employing Colin Viljoen as his gardener?

I think the leopard in residence behind the hydrangeas came as a bit of a surprise though...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:31 - Aug 8 with 1395 viewsBloomBlue

I think the issue was CV's grass cutting skills were limited, but yes I don't see any rules preventing such a similar model.
Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:33 - Aug 8 with 1396 viewsPablokuqi

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7920627/Saracens-salary-cap

I think Saracens came up with a range of ways to get around the cap. Still caught in the end.
If we decided to break it other clubs would break it more and we would still lose out, it is the Evans way.
The club knew the cap was coming in. They could have bought players, they could have offered Jackson his new contract, they didn't. I don't think Evans will be that angry about this cap. Certainly gives something to hide behind.

We should spend more money on academy, analysts etc and get in a decent management team and structure. He can spend money in other areas improve training facilities, improve Portman Road and the fan experience.

A few fans have said why should well run club should be punished, but we aren't well run we make a substantial loss every thing. Sunderland massive losses year after year and Portsmouth fans have a nerve about well run and being punished with the cap after how they bought their success in recent years.
Login to get fewer ads

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:38 - Aug 8 with 1374 viewsKeno

wasn't the Cobbold estate half of Suffolk?

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:44 - Aug 8 with 1355 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:33 - Aug 8 by Pablokuqi

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7920627/Saracens-salary-cap

I think Saracens came up with a range of ways to get around the cap. Still caught in the end.
If we decided to break it other clubs would break it more and we would still lose out, it is the Evans way.
The club knew the cap was coming in. They could have bought players, they could have offered Jackson his new contract, they didn't. I don't think Evans will be that angry about this cap. Certainly gives something to hide behind.

We should spend more money on academy, analysts etc and get in a decent management team and structure. He can spend money in other areas improve training facilities, improve Portman Road and the fan experience.

A few fans have said why should well run club should be punished, but we aren't well run we make a substantial loss every thing. Sunderland massive losses year after year and Portsmouth fans have a nerve about well run and being punished with the cap after how they bought their success in recent years.

Indeed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Salary Cap bollox musings on 10:32 - Aug 8 with 1317 viewsHorsham

He also employed my late uncle as a chauffeur/butler briefly. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want me to comment further!
Salary Cap bollox musings on 10:44 - Aug 8 with 1294 viewsPhilTWTD

Salary Cap bollox musings on 10:32 - Aug 8 by Horsham

He also employed my late uncle as a chauffeur/butler briefly. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want me to comment further!

I bet he had some stories!
Salary Cap bollox musings on 10:49 - Aug 8 with 1286 viewsPhilTWTD

Salary Cap bollox musings on 09:33 - Aug 8 by Pablokuqi

I don't think there was a need for Town to bring players in in a panic to get ahead of the implementation of the rules. We're only after a handful of players this summer and there is still scope in the budget for them.

[Edit] Given the figures the club put out this afternoon, that's obviously wrong. [/Edit]

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024