Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Oxford vaccine... 20:13 - Nov 23 with 2107 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Do we think they will try 1/4 dose followed by 1/2 dose (etc) to see if that is even more effective?
Also if the WHO standard of efficacy is 70% protection for a year then we won't know for at least a year how long protection will last...or are claims on longevity of protection being made?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:22 - Nov 23 with 2045 viewsJ2BLUE

If you don't want it don't have it. This is just sad though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:25 - Nov 23 with 2033 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Strewth Stokie I wish you would stop second guessing my 'motives' .
Both genuine questions the second of which is a result of watching Ch 4 news just now which mentioned the efficacy level for W.H.O.

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:26 - Nov 23 with 2021 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:22 - Nov 23 by J2BLUE

If you don't want it don't have it. This is just sad though.

You too...they are honest questions. Surely the results would suggest that trialling lower doses would make sense!

Edit ...I also wondered if some on here with more time for background reading might know if any claims about longevity of effect have been made.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 20:30]

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:28 - Nov 23 with 2006 viewsJ2BLUE

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:26 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

You too...they are honest questions. Surely the results would suggest that trialling lower doses would make sense!

Edit ...I also wondered if some on here with more time for background reading might know if any claims about longevity of effect have been made.

90% not good enough? Do we wait another 3-4 months to see if we can get it to 95?

Truly impaired.

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:28 - Nov 23 with 2004 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:26 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Please do explain why.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:30 - Nov 23 with 1994 viewsStokieBlue

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:25 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Strewth Stokie I wish you would stop second guessing my 'motives' .
Both genuine questions the second of which is a result of watching Ch 4 news just now which mentioned the efficacy level for W.H.O.

Not just me though is it? You've already got J2 questioning you and yesterday you had multiple posters questioning you. Perhaps it's your posting style.

1). They aren't fully sure on the doses but it's unlikely a smaller dose would work. The reason to have 2 doses is that the first dose primes the immune system to recognise the virus and the second improves the immune response. If the first dose is too small it won't prime the immune system.

2). No claims on longevity are being made. At the moment it's certainly possible that you'll need a yearly booster or jab much like people do with the flu vaccine every year. It's not really an issue at the moment though, it's something to worry about at the end of 2021.

SB
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 20:31]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:31 - Nov 23 with 1983 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:28 - Nov 23 by J2BLUE

90% not good enough? Do we wait another 3-4 months to see if we can get it to 95?

90 is great but if you can get the same using less then it will go further....hopefully they can do both.

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:33 - Nov 23 with 1970 viewsJ2BLUE

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:31 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

90 is great but if you can get the same using less then it will go further....hopefully they can do both.

They've already saved 25% which is a massive boost. We just need to use what works and get on with making as much as possible.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:38 - Nov 23 with 1945 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:30 - Nov 23 by StokieBlue

Not just me though is it? You've already got J2 questioning you and yesterday you had multiple posters questioning you. Perhaps it's your posting style.

1). They aren't fully sure on the doses but it's unlikely a smaller dose would work. The reason to have 2 doses is that the first dose primes the immune system to recognise the virus and the second improves the immune response. If the first dose is too small it won't prime the immune system.

2). No claims on longevity are being made. At the moment it's certainly possible that you'll need a yearly booster or jab much like people do with the flu vaccine every year. It's not really an issue at the moment though, it's something to worry about at the end of 2021.

SB
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 20:31]

Try reading the OP again as if you have not formed an opinion of me before...

Thanks for tackling the questions...is 1 your opinion or based on what they have said?
As people have been getting Covid twice then it might be a question for sooner than that but thankyou...as I said I did not know if the researchers had inferred any degree of longevity!

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:41 - Nov 23 with 1929 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:28 - Nov 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

Please do explain why.

What do you want explaining?

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:42 - Nov 23 with 1921 viewsbluelagos

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:38 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Try reading the OP again as if you have not formed an opinion of me before...

Thanks for tackling the questions...is 1 your opinion or based on what they have said?
As people have been getting Covid twice then it might be a question for sooner than that but thankyou...as I said I did not know if the researchers had inferred any degree of longevity!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

Answers your question about longevity. Well it doesn't, it says they don't know yet.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:56 - Nov 23 with 1883 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:41 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

What do you want explaining?

You appear to have now explained that a reduced dosage would see the vaccine go further which is fair enough. What is the science behind a lower dosage giving better immunity? Or is it that you would hope for similar levels whilst saving on the vaccine?

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:05 - Nov 23 with 1852 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:42 - Nov 23 by bluelagos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

Answers your question about longevity. Well it doesn't, it says they don't know yet.

Thanks .... so that would be the answer then.

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:09 - Nov 23 with 1836 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 20:56 - Nov 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

You appear to have now explained that a reduced dosage would see the vaccine go further which is fair enough. What is the science behind a lower dosage giving better immunity? Or is it that you would hope for similar levels whilst saving on the vaccine?

On the basis that half a dose followed by a full dose is performing better than two full doses according to their research results.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 21:12]

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:14 - Nov 23 with 1819 viewsGuthrum

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:09 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

On the basis that half a dose followed by a full dose is performing better than two full doses according to their research results.

You might need a smaller amout to "prime the pump" (i.e. to get the right kind of antibodies being produced), then a bigger dose to provoke mass production to the neccessary levels.

Edit: I haven't read the paper, but that would be entirely logical. After all, people don't have any existing latent resistance to C-19 which could be boosted by a simpler jab.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 21:16]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:15 - Nov 23 with 1815 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:09 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ah, so on the basis of your knowledge of Maths than of virology.

I am no expert in virology but I suspect the experts have some idea of whether a lower dosage is likely to impact success rates significantly and know the wisdom of these sort of tests.

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:31 - Nov 23 with 1778 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:15 - Nov 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ah, so on the basis of your knowledge of Maths than of virology.

I am no expert in virology but I suspect the experts have some idea of whether a lower dosage is likely to impact success rates significantly and know the wisdom of these sort of tests.

It was a question based on knowledge of neither.
As they are expressing surprise at the results then hopefully they will be looking into it further.

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:46 - Nov 23 with 1740 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:31 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

It was a question based on knowledge of neither.
As they are expressing surprise at the results then hopefully they will be looking into it further.

They are expressing surprise at the results are they?

I am not sure, even if they are, that means they would expect a lower dosage overall to be worthwhile testing. Maybe they might consider 1/4 dosage followed by the full dose if the above results were a surprise.

I am sure virologists will have a reasonable grasp of what to expect and what to expect and why regardless of the way the mainstream media choose to present their findings.

The Oxford vaccine... on 22:55 - Nov 23 with 1674 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Oxford vaccine... on 21:46 - Nov 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

They are expressing surprise at the results are they?

I am not sure, even if they are, that means they would expect a lower dosage overall to be worthwhile testing. Maybe they might consider 1/4 dosage followed by the full dose if the above results were a surprise.

I am sure virologists will have a reasonable grasp of what to expect and what to expect and why regardless of the way the mainstream media choose to present their findings.

According to the Telegraph the half dose was down to an error!

The Oxford vaccine... on 23:52 - Nov 23 with 1634 viewsTrequartista

Although the sample sizes are quite small to prove the efficacy moves up to 90%, the good news about this vaccine that hasn't really been headlined is that not a single person who was vaccinated went to hospital with covid.

So although the efficacy tells us how good the herd immunity will be, for the individual taking the vaccine, it works (in that it stops you becoming very unwell) 100%.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 23:53]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The Oxford vaccine... on 11:31 - Nov 24 with 1492 viewsGuthrum

The Oxford vaccine... on 22:55 - Nov 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

According to the Telegraph the half dose was down to an error!

Developments do often happen by accident - c.f. the discoveries of x-rays and of radioactivity:

https://columbiasurgery.org/news/2015/09/17/history-medicine-dr-roentgen-s-accid

https://www.earthmagazine.org/article/benchmarks-henri-becquerel-discovers-radio

Not to mention the accidental rediscovery* of the American continent by Europeans in 1492-1502, based upon a geographical error.

* Previously visited, of course, by the Norse in the early 11th century and possibly the Irish before that (the Brendan Voyage).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024