Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert/game analysis 13:31 - Jan 17 with 1010 viewsunstableblue

Simply not good enough yesterday; great we dominate the possession. I want Lambert to leave, but getting Ipswich back into being comfortable on the ball and holding it improves on Hurst and predecessors. BUT WE AREN’T PUTTING ENOUGH ENERGY AND MOVEMENT INTO MAKING IT COUNT!! We are not hurting teams.

I have said before Lambert’s tactic in going forward is to use the 4-3-3 to overload the channel and work the ball into the box or into a cross.

In yesterday’s poor display (I think the surface was poor as one mitigation, and whilst Burton looked much much weaker than Swindon, they got bodies back) we had about 4-8 decent speaks of attacking movement - that needs to be 20-30!!! They typically involved a midfielder, a full back, a wide attacker and perhaps the lone attacker, combining, triangles out wide and overloading the CB and full back. A) it’s a joy to watch and what we crave B) it really troubles the defence - we saw a lot of this in some of the handful of decent performances this season.

But the issue is that it’s far too infrequent but it requires energy and desire and movement, and you also need 2/3 other players breaking into the box to finish.

So whilst we have the players with the ability to make this facet of our game work; they clearly do not have the desire and are not being coached/drilled technically to get the transitions to make this happen.

And that’s the manager.

Now in Downes, Bishop, Edwards/Judge and Chambo we can absolutely make this work now with no excuses.... but I have no faith in this becoming common through a game.

And now our next games we’ll be getting pegged back and so the lien striker is isolated with the wide 3 dropping out of these danger zones.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Lambert/game analysis on 16:36 - Jan 17 with 896 viewscbower

"Getting Ipswich back into being comfortable on the ball and holding iit imrproves on Hurst and predecessors"

Our improved comfort on the ball as you put it is fake. Our defenders 'look' more comfortable because many teams just let them have it as they realise it will not produce anything just passing it square across the back line slowly . Ditto most of our midfield play (aside from Bishop and the rare killer Dozzell pass). Other teams put a press on us and panic sets in. We then either cock it up and present the opposition with a goal scoring chance or resort to hoofing it. Your criticisms of a lack of movement, energy and intent are spot on and you rightly place the blame on coaching (or lack thereof). But to say Town under Lambert are "getting back into being comfortable on the ball and holding it" is simply not true. The man's a charlatan and our possession stats are irrelevant.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 16:45]

bluescouser

Lambert/game analysis on 18:31 - Jan 17 with 825 viewsunstableblue

Lambert/game analysis on 16:36 - Jan 17 by cbower

"Getting Ipswich back into being comfortable on the ball and holding iit imrproves on Hurst and predecessors"

Our improved comfort on the ball as you put it is fake. Our defenders 'look' more comfortable because many teams just let them have it as they realise it will not produce anything just passing it square across the back line slowly . Ditto most of our midfield play (aside from Bishop and the rare killer Dozzell pass). Other teams put a press on us and panic sets in. We then either cock it up and present the opposition with a goal scoring chance or resort to hoofing it. Your criticisms of a lack of movement, energy and intent are spot on and you rightly place the blame on coaching (or lack thereof). But to say Town under Lambert are "getting back into being comfortable on the ball and holding it" is simply not true. The man's a charlatan and our possession stats are irrelevant.

Don’t really disagree with any of that.

But you must not forget as Chambers said himself and indeed Hurst, the club had lost the ability to pass, dominate possession and be adventurous on the ball. The latter clearly has not been improved - apart from say 10-15 displays of great merit under Lambert. As I say there’s not enough energy, movement, attacking intent.

I agree on Saturday we’ll come across sterner opposition and anything positive about Lamberts system (I’m struggling to think of much) will unravel!!

Lambert/game analysis on 18:39 - Jan 17 with 803 viewsHerbivore

Lambert/game analysis on 18:31 - Jan 17 by unstableblue

Don’t really disagree with any of that.

But you must not forget as Chambers said himself and indeed Hurst, the club had lost the ability to pass, dominate possession and be adventurous on the ball. The latter clearly has not been improved - apart from say 10-15 displays of great merit under Lambert. As I say there’s not enough energy, movement, attacking intent.

I agree on Saturday we’ll come across sterner opposition and anything positive about Lamberts system (I’m struggling to think of much) will unravel!!

10-15 displays of great merit under Lambert? You're massively over-reaching there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert/game analysis on 20:39 - Jan 17 with 713 viewsunstableblue

Lambert/game analysis on 18:39 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

10-15 displays of great merit under Lambert? You're massively over-reaching there.

There he is!

10 to 15 games of merit out of 104 games is not the praise you are wishing to interpret.

Lambert/game analysis on 20:45 - Jan 17 with 708 viewsJ2BLUE

Lambert/game analysis on 16:36 - Jan 17 by cbower

It has amazed me in recent days how many are impressed with the possession stats in our own final third...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lambert/game analysis on 20:46 - Jan 17 with 707 viewsitfcjoe

We are very rarely comfortable with the ball in the oppositions half, we have maybe 1 5-10 minute spell each game there and if we don't score then we don't score.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert/game analysis on 20:55 - Jan 17 with 675 viewsPJH

Lambert/game analysis on 20:45 - Jan 17 by J2BLUE

It has amazed me in recent days how many are impressed with the possession stats in our own final third...

They would be even better if Nolan was playing because he would keep passing back to our central defenders.

I think in years to come it will go on the scoreboard during the game something like 'We now have 50.1% possession' and the crowd will roar and the players will all high five the coach on the side line.
Lambert/game analysis on 21:12 - Jan 17 with 639 viewsunstableblue

Lambert/game analysis on 20:46 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

We are very rarely comfortable with the ball in the oppositions half, we have maybe 1 5-10 minute spell each game there and if we don't score then we don't score.

Exactly.

Yesterday felt like 2-3 two minute spells of decent interplay in the final third in the manner I described. Beyond that we look scared with the ball and revert to going backwards.

We have the players for more. Its a training, tactics issue.

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert/game analysis on 21:44 - Jan 17 with 588 viewsHerbivore

Lambert/game analysis on 20:39 - Jan 17 by unstableblue

There he is!

10 to 15 games of merit out of 104 games is not the praise you are wishing to interpret.

You're still overestimating by several games.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert/game analysis on 21:56 - Jan 17 with 556 viewsBeckets

Lambert/game analysis on 20:55 - Jan 17 by PJH

They would be even better if Nolan was playing because he would keep passing back to our central defenders.

I think in years to come it will go on the scoreboard during the game something like 'We now have 50.1% possession' and the crowd will roar and the players will all high five the coach on the side line.

Nolan learnt that from the master of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024