Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country 09:25 - Feb 19 with 863 viewsStokieBlue

There was a discussion on here the other day about the death rate in India and it was postulated that excess deaths are a much better way to track how the pandemic has unfolded in each country, this was due to a couple of reasons:

- Different ways of classifying C19 deaths
- Different amounts of testing
- Political willingness to be truthful

This week More Or Less had an episode where some experts compared the methodologies of classifying deaths across countries and then moved onto using excess deaths as a comparison between countries. It makes a quite large difference moving to excess deaths and puts the central South American countries at the top of the list with Peru specifically being the worst. The UK is 18th on that list, 10th in Europe and below the US. The gaps between some countries are very small though.

Obviously the government have still done poorly with the exception of the vaccine rollout (and it's debatable if they can take much credit for that) but it's interesting to see how things look when the numbers are looked at in a different way. I think a lot of people in many countries are going to be very angry about the handling of the pandemic over the next few years although it does point to the same issues occurring in multiple countries.

You can listen to it here if you're interested, it's about the first 10 minutes of the episode, if you just want the excess deaths bit it starts at 6 minutes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000s7lr

Also a bit on alcohol consumption during the pandemic which shows it isn't as bad as many expected. Overall the amount of alcohol purchased by the British public were down 10% although likely more concentrated in consumption in some older cohorts.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 09:29 - Feb 19 with 841 viewsBrianTablet

Did you listen to the one on household accidents in lockdown?
Rather than DIY accidents, knife cuts and Covid vaccines, we should all be terrified of trampolines!

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 09:38 - Feb 19 with 818 viewsSteve_M

I read something on total Indian cases and deaths and the numbers are remarkably low for such a large country, there may be some undercounting but even that wouldn't account for the disparity with the US for example. Restrictions in India are now very limited too.

If I remember where it was I'll post it here, it posed a lot of questions as to why - environment, genetic factors, levels of immunity? - which will need to be investigated.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 09:47 - Feb 19 with 790 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 09:38 - Feb 19 by Steve_M

I read something on total Indian cases and deaths and the numbers are remarkably low for such a large country, there may be some undercounting but even that wouldn't account for the disparity with the US for example. Restrictions in India are now very limited too.

If I remember where it was I'll post it here, it posed a lot of questions as to why - environment, genetic factors, levels of immunity? - which will need to be investigated.

Indeed, although I also read some quotes from Indian doctors saying the official total was x5 undercounted which puts them up near 1m deaths. This is why excess deaths are the only real way to smooth out the differences between countries.

I was quite surprised there were 9 countries in Europe worse than the UK on excess deaths per capita though.

SB

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:07 - Feb 19 with 736 viewsSteve_M

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 09:47 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

Indeed, although I also read some quotes from Indian doctors saying the official total was x5 undercounted which puts them up near 1m deaths. This is why excess deaths are the only real way to smooth out the differences between countries.

I was quite surprised there were 9 countries in Europe worse than the UK on excess deaths per capita though.

SB

The data for India might also not have included the initial months of the pandemic there when things were chaotic and, clearly, a lot of people died. The fans at the cricket last week were grouped normally, even with fewer in the ground than capacity, so will be interesting to keep an eye on it.

It's been a dreadful Winter across Europe for covid deaths, many countries with far higher figures than in the Spring even the UK tally is higher despite the bad Spring. The resonance seems to be a lot less than back on May and June (and I include myself here as it doesn't seem as shocking as it once did).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:20 - Feb 19 with 703 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks SB, very interesting and not unexpected. Have you found the study anywhere online? I picked up from the programme that it was this guy https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch?lang=en, but I can't see anything from him more recent than December. Perhaps he was referencing somebody else's report?

EDIT: answering own question... https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 14:27]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:28 - Feb 19 with 691 viewsLord_Lucan

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 09:47 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

SB

I'm not in the least bit surprised, my only surprise is that people don't realise this but then again it doesn't fit into some peoples desire for the government they hate to be a disaster.

It's a bit like BSE. The French just buried their cows and denied they had a problem.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:34 - Feb 19 with 683 viewsChurchman

Thanks for posting this. It is really interesting and something I’ve thought about for some while and speculated on in other posts. The coronavirus stats on the Worldometer league table just don’t look right or consistent across countries and the reasons you cite go a long way to explaining why.
Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:46 - Feb 19 with 665 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Did it specifically mention Indian excess deaths?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:50 - Feb 19 with 659 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SB

Only fair to point out though that someone in India verified that deaths did seem low and maybe could be doubled.

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:52 - Feb 19 with 653 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:50 - Feb 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Only fair to point out though that someone in India verified that deaths did seem low and maybe could be doubled.

Doubled is still far below what doctors there are saying.

We will probably never know the true number.

SB

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:56 - Feb 19 with 647 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:52 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

Doubled is still far below what doctors there are saying.

We will probably never know the true number.

SB

Any excess death data?

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 15:36 - Feb 19 with 627 viewsWeWereZombies

SB

I will take your five and raise it to ten:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/9/30/more-than-60-million-indians-may-have-c

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 15:36 - Feb 19 with 625 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 14:56 - Feb 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Any excess death data?

I am not sure how good the excess death data is from India. It might be superb, I honestly don't know.

SB

Interesting episode of More or Less on excess deaths by country on 11:48 - Feb 20 with 506 viewsChurchman

Ok, it’s the Daily Mail, which I trust about as far as I can volley Paul Lambert, but it is an interesting comment on the possible use of Covid in some instances to record deaths.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9279767/BEL-MOONEY-dad-died-chronic-ill
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024