Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... 08:16 - Mar 9 with 673 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

...maybe add that on the card too!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/09/warning-over-photo-id-law-chang

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:20 - Mar 9 with 641 viewsHerbivore

Nice bit of voter suppression there. At least the Tories don't even pretend to care about democracy anymore, unless of course they are harping back to the referendum.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:30 - Mar 9 with 610 viewsGlasgowBlue

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:20 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

Nice bit of voter suppression there. At least the Tories don't even pretend to care about democracy anymore, unless of course they are harping back to the referendum.

Having to show photographic id in order to voteis the norm in most countries around the world. Including many of our European neighbours such as a France, Germany, Holland etc. In France you have to show photographic id and a utility bill as proof of address.

The difference is that most of these countries already have compulsory id cards, which we don’t.

I don’t have an issue with the introduction of ID cards. But we don’t have them, so you are correct that this move is nothing more than shameless voter suppression.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:31 - Mar 9 with 602 viewsPinewoodblue

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:20 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

Voter ID would be unwelcome however you do, I assume, realise it was a Labour government that made it a requirement in NI.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:35 - Mar 9 with 585 viewsHerbivore

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:31 - Mar 9 by Pinewoodblue

Voter ID would be unwelcome however you do, I assume, realise it was a Labour government that made it a requirement in NI.

Yes, I do realise that. Nice attempt at whataboutery there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:41 - Mar 9 with 578 viewsGlasgowBlue

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:31 - Mar 9 by Pinewoodblue

Were there reasons for introducing voter id in Northern Ireland that are unique to the country that aren’t applicable in the wider UK though?

As the a guardian article states, there is very little voter fraud in the UK.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 09:14 - Mar 9 with 525 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting debate though. As it stands it's clearly wrong to require photo ID if 24% of the country don't have one (an astonishing number without a passport really) and especially wrong as that is also heavily skewed towards ethnic minorities.

However I also don't really have an issue with some form of issued ID card but I do understand that is coming from a position where many of the concerns highlighted by those against don't affect me so much.

In this instance and form it's clearly totally wrong though. Did you see my thread on Georgia in the US - seems to be a thing to try and suppress voters at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 09:32 - Mar 9 with 494 viewsSwansea_Blue

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:30 - Mar 9 by GlasgowBlue

Having to show photographic id in order to voteis the norm in most countries around the world. Including many of our European neighbours such as a France, Germany, Holland etc. In France you have to show photographic id and a utility bill as proof of address.

The difference is that most of these countries already have compulsory id cards, which we don’t.

I don’t have an issue with the introduction of ID cards. But we don’t have them, so you are correct that this move is nothing more than shameless voter suppression.

I imagine the Govt are well aware of who doesn't have photo ID and will be well aware those people would have problems with this. We can only guess whether they see that as a benefit to their ballot box chances. There's a sniff of suppression about it all imo.

I don't see what's wrong with having a single ID card though - long overdue (although slightly less useful now we're not seamlessly aligned to the EU. It would have been really handy to have one previously for work and holidays, having all ID in one place).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 11:04 - Mar 9 with 420 viewsWeWereZombies

Voting without being vaccinated would likely be dangerous too.... on 08:35 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

Yes, I do realise that. Nice attempt at whataboutery there.

I guess if we are going to tip toe around in fear of whataboutery accusation we had better not mention things like constituency boundary changes, high numbers of those employed in one constituency but not being able to afford to live there or the problems of being registered to vote if you are of no fixed abode or needing to constantly move residence through job seeking and/or expense of accommodation. ID cards could be useful as an easier pathway to voting for the unemployed, low paid and minority groups.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024