Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... 14:45 - Apr 19 with 844 viewsmonytowbray

...through greed at the expense of everyone else annoys you.

Then OH BOY have I got some news to you about the economy, politics and society!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 14:53 - Apr 19 with 776 viewsMattinLondon

Can you tell me about your avatar please...it seems really interesting.
If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 15:21 - Apr 19 with 728 viewsArnoldMoorhen

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 14:53 - Apr 19 by MattinLondon

I'm not getting a lot from a Google image search, just that it is also used by Occupy London.

But the "8 times more likely" line seems to originate in the USA.

But before we get smug, and say "It's not like that here", here are the stats for 2017-18:

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/statistics/deaths

Page 4 gives a table with, by my calculation, 274 cases of death following Police contact being independently investigated. This was the first report which came up on a Google search for: 8 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist uk

2017 was a terrible year for terrorist related deaths in the UK, with 42 people dying, double the number for the TOTAL from 2010-2020 (excluding 2017). Over half of the deaths in 2017 were due to the Manchester Arena bombing. It was also the year of the London Bridge/Borough Market attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_Kingdom

In 2017-18, in the UK, 6 and a half times as many people died following Police contact as were killed by terrorists in 2017.

Between 2011 and 2020 (including 2017) 63 people died as a result of terrorism in the UK, an average of just over 6 per year, compared to 274 for the 2017-18 reporting year for deaths following Police contact. If that particular year is representative then 45 times as many people die as a result of Police contact than as a result of terrorism.

A blog by the Cato Institute in the USA says why this kind of comparison can be useful:

https://www.cato.org/blog/youre-eight-times-more-likely-be-killed-police-officer

I'd just add that, of course, many of the deaths mentioned are not the fault of the officers, and others arise because Police Officers are present in highly dangerous, volatile and pressured situations.

I'll also add that the stats in the wikipedia article on UK terrorism deaths make very sobering reading. We had peace, and increasing prosperity, in Northern Ireland. We are now seeing a return to violence there.
If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 16:52 - Apr 19 with 630 viewsmonytowbray

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 15:21 - Apr 19 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'm not getting a lot from a Google image search, just that it is also used by Occupy London.

But the "8 times more likely" line seems to originate in the USA.

But before we get smug, and say "It's not like that here", here are the stats for 2017-18:

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/statistics/deaths

Page 4 gives a table with, by my calculation, 274 cases of death following Police contact being independently investigated. This was the first report which came up on a Google search for: 8 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist uk

2017 was a terrible year for terrorist related deaths in the UK, with 42 people dying, double the number for the TOTAL from 2010-2020 (excluding 2017). Over half of the deaths in 2017 were due to the Manchester Arena bombing. It was also the year of the London Bridge/Borough Market attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_Kingdom

In 2017-18, in the UK, 6 and a half times as many people died following Police contact as were killed by terrorists in 2017.

Between 2011 and 2020 (including 2017) 63 people died as a result of terrorism in the UK, an average of just over 6 per year, compared to 274 for the 2017-18 reporting year for deaths following Police contact. If that particular year is representative then 45 times as many people die as a result of Police contact than as a result of terrorism.

A blog by the Cato Institute in the USA says why this kind of comparison can be useful:

https://www.cato.org/blog/youre-eight-times-more-likely-be-killed-police-officer

I'd just add that, of course, many of the deaths mentioned are not the fault of the officers, and others arise because Police Officers are present in highly dangerous, volatile and pressured situations.

I'll also add that the stats in the wikipedia article on UK terrorism deaths make very sobering reading. We had peace, and increasing prosperity, in Northern Ireland. We are now seeing a return to violence there.

Fair research, I can’t remember where I got it from now but it was on IG with all the data attached.

TWTD never forgets…

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 18:30 - Apr 19 with 563 viewsFixed_It

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 16:52 - Apr 19 by monytowbray

Fair research, I can’t remember where I got it from now but it was on IG with all the data attached.

Any stats on how many lives the police have saved in that time? No, thought not...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 18:34 - Apr 19 with 552 viewsWD19

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 14:53 - Apr 19 by MattinLondon

It’s a helmet.
If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 18:43 - Apr 19 with 534 viewsmonytowbray

If Europe’s biggest superclubs deciding to destroy the game... on 18:30 - Apr 19 by Fixed_It

Any stats on how many lives the police have saved in that time? No, thought not...

You’re welcome to post it.

Bootlicker.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024