Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away 10:20 - Jul 13 with 834 viewsSharkey

As things stand, are all clubs expecting to welcome away fans to league games when the season starts for real? I know away fans have been welcomed at friendlies, but are things completely back to normal ticketing-wise?
Away on 10:23 - Jul 13 with 814 viewswkj

If everything is lifted on the 19th, then there is no legal reason for the club to restrict away fan involvement.

Sadly, I suspect that every fan's involvement may be disrupted again within a few weeks of the first game

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Away on 10:26 - Jul 13 with 801 viewsSitfcB

Should do, be disappointed if not. There’s nothing stopping it now. (Well from the 19th)

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Away on 10:58 - Jul 13 with 750 viewsSharkey

Away on 10:26 - Jul 13 by SitfcB

Should do, be disappointed if not. There’s nothing stopping it now. (Well from the 19th)

Reading another thread on here, and people's (understandable) concerns about being spaced far enough apart, I'm just worried that clubs may want to use the whole available space for home fans. Town for example might think it's not 'worth' giving Morecambe a part of the ground, save a few bob on stewarding, and claim (not unreasonably) that they are doing the sensible/responsible thing.

Personally I'm a little worried that some sensible (Covid) strategies will persist if /when Covid eventually fizzles out. In the long run, I'd hate a drift towards allowing clubs to do away with away supporters.

(By the way, how many substitutions are allowed next season? )
Away on 11:14 - Jul 13 with 720 viewsN2_Blue

Away on 10:58 - Jul 13 by Sharkey

Reading another thread on here, and people's (understandable) concerns about being spaced far enough apart, I'm just worried that clubs may want to use the whole available space for home fans. Town for example might think it's not 'worth' giving Morecambe a part of the ground, save a few bob on stewarding, and claim (not unreasonably) that they are doing the sensible/responsible thing.

Personally I'm a little worried that some sensible (Covid) strategies will persist if /when Covid eventually fizzles out. In the long run, I'd hate a drift towards allowing clubs to do away with away supporters.

(By the way, how many substitutions are allowed next season? )

You think if/when Covid fizzles out that clubs may do away with away fans because they had games during COVID without them? Erm that's a seriously odd take and never going to happen.

COVID will probably never completely fizzle out we will have to live with it but if people can watch football again without restrictions then away fans will be at every ground around the country...it's part of football and an important revenue stream to every club. How sterile would football be without away fans....no chance

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Away on 11:34 - Jul 13 with 675 viewsSharkey

Away on 11:14 - Jul 13 by N2_Blue

You think if/when Covid fizzles out that clubs may do away with away fans because they had games during COVID without them? Erm that's a seriously odd take and never going to happen.

COVID will probably never completely fizzle out we will have to live with it but if people can watch football again without restrictions then away fans will be at every ground around the country...it's part of football and an important revenue stream to every club. How sterile would football be without away fans....no chance

I totally agree with your second paragraph, but I don't think my worry is so seriously odd. Away fans are not an important revenue steam to Manchester United, for example. They can fill Old Trafford with home fans, plus tourists who are happy to pay twice as much without complaint as a seasoned away fan. At the other end of the scale, I can imagine a smaller club trying to score points in the local 'community' by doing away with the heavy policing and whiff of pre-match aggro that is still attached to some fixtures. But as I say, I m totally in agreement with your last sentence.
Away on 13:13 - Jul 13 with 574 viewsN2_Blue

Away on 11:34 - Jul 13 by Sharkey

I totally agree with your second paragraph, but I don't think my worry is so seriously odd. Away fans are not an important revenue steam to Manchester United, for example. They can fill Old Trafford with home fans, plus tourists who are happy to pay twice as much without complaint as a seasoned away fan. At the other end of the scale, I can imagine a smaller club trying to score points in the local 'community' by doing away with the heavy policing and whiff of pre-match aggro that is still attached to some fixtures. But as I say, I m totally in agreement with your last sentence.

I really think you are over worrying. Comparing the 72 league clubs to Manchester United is not a good example.

And even then there would be uproar from real United fans, if there were no away fans. Do you think as many fans would want to go to United v Liverpool without away fans, it takes away the enjoyment for many.

I don't see how a smaller club would score points in the local community by doing this. In fact I'd say it would be the opposite. Smaller clubs are the ones that rely on the away revenue. Clubs will still have policing costs away fans or no away fans, and the cost of policing is much less then the revue of away fans.

How many fixtures have pre-match aggro due to having away fans....very few, mainly derbies, so it's probably less than 5% of fixtures nationally.

Football without away fans...it just won't happen, it would kill football. Its the more loyal, real hardcore fans that are the ones that go to away games, so the last subset of supporters you want to alienate from the game.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Away on 13:15 - Jul 13 with 562 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Away on 10:23 - Jul 13 by wkj

If everything is lifted on the 19th, then there is no legal reason for the club to restrict away fan involvement.

Sadly, I suspect that every fan's involvement may be disrupted again within a few weeks of the first game

R.O.A.R.

I think you're wight that some clubs severely limit away fan numbers, especially in the first few weeks. They may ever require mask wearing.

I guess we'll find out, but still a damn sight better than 6 months ago.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Away on 13:21 - Jul 13 with 531 viewsbluefunk

Away on 13:15 - Jul 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

R.O.A.R.

I think you're wight that some clubs severely limit away fan numbers, especially in the first few weeks. They may ever require mask wearing.

I guess we'll find out, but still a damn sight better than 6 months ago.

I suspect it’s more likely that clubs will require a vaccine certificate,
Login to get fewer ads

Away on 19:14 - Jul 13 with 435 viewsSharkey

Away on 13:13 - Jul 13 by N2_Blue

I really think you are over worrying. Comparing the 72 league clubs to Manchester United is not a good example.

And even then there would be uproar from real United fans, if there were no away fans. Do you think as many fans would want to go to United v Liverpool without away fans, it takes away the enjoyment for many.

I don't see how a smaller club would score points in the local community by doing this. In fact I'd say it would be the opposite. Smaller clubs are the ones that rely on the away revenue. Clubs will still have policing costs away fans or no away fans, and the cost of policing is much less then the revue of away fans.

How many fixtures have pre-match aggro due to having away fans....very few, mainly derbies, so it's probably less than 5% of fixtures nationally.

Football without away fans...it just won't happen, it would kill football. Its the more loyal, real hardcore fans that are the ones that go to away games, so the last subset of supporters you want to alienate from the game.

I hope you're right, of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024