Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately 14:30 - Oct 14 with 660 viewsWeWereZombies

Or even my eye on the horizon...or above the horizon, so this news item is a welcome surprise:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58888302

Let's hope that it has less teething troubles than Hubble, the prospects for increasing knowledge are very significant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope#Comparison_with_other_t

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 14:54 - Oct 14 with 601 viewsBluefish

Tory government levels of money wastage

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 15:07 - Oct 14 with 583 viewsMr_J

I've been following this for a few years now and I get clenched buttocks thinking about something going wrong. There won't be any second chances like with Hubble, as it will be a million miles from earth so we can't do service missions. But the scientific payoff promises to be huge so fingers crossed.
I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 15:10 - Oct 14 with 573 viewsSamuelowen88

Interesting video on it here:

Really hope this works and the cannot wait for the first images.

One thing i've been wondering though, is, as it has to constantly point the shield towards the sun. Surely this limits is %of sky that it can look at.
OK, it can rotate 360% and will orbit the sun, but will there still be sections it cant look at?
Maybe it can tilt a few degrees, that with the 360% rotation and orbit might get it 100%...

Poll: England v Wales Score

I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 18:14 - Oct 14 with 485 viewsfactual_blue

The twenty or so telescopes in the Roque de los Muchachos Observatory high up on La Palma are, I'm sure high in your thoughts at the moment.

#prayforthetelescopes

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 20:43 - Oct 14 with 432 viewsstonojnr

I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 15:07 - Oct 14 by Mr_J

I've been following this for a few years now and I get clenched buttocks thinking about something going wrong. There won't be any second chances like with Hubble, as it will be a million miles from earth so we can't do service missions. But the scientific payoff promises to be huge so fingers crossed.

its the ride to space that will be the worst bit, once its up there it should be ok, and we might be able to do service missions in the future, though its not designed like Hubble was to make that so easy to replace things.
I've not had my ear to the ground regarding space telescopes lately on 21:16 - Oct 14 with 413 viewsDarth_Koont

Truly a beautiful thing.

Fingers crossed it works – but will be far down the list of an unnecessary 7 billion if it doesn’t.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024