Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... 05:19 - Jan 13 with 783 viewsIPS_wich

...in your lifetime, what's the best club team you've ever seen in the English top flight (I'm thinking starting XI).

I think we can all agree that Sir Bobby's 81 team was the best in the country that year - certainly the multiple victories against Villa demonstrated that. I also think on paper that starting XI is probably the third best 'team' I have seen in my lifetime (I should caveat that I haven't watched the Premier League for over ten years, so I can't comment on how good any of these Man City/Chelsea chequebook teams have been over that period).

I would place Sir Bobby's team just behind the Arsenal Invincibles who I would put in second place, but just ahead of the Beckham, Scholes etc Man Utd team.

But for me the best team I have seen assembled was the 87/88 Liverpool team. They only lost twice in the league that year - and were unbeaten until late march when they were beaten at Goodison Park. They scored 4+ goals eleven times over the season - including a 5-0 against Forest who were in the top four at the time - which was probably the finest single performance I've ever witnessed.

If I recall correctly the main starting 11 was:

Grobbelaar
Ablett - Hansen - Lawrenson - Staunton
Houghton - Whelan - MacMahon - Barnes
Beardsley - Aldridge

They also had the likes of Steve Nicol, Jan Molby and a then close to retirement Dalgleish in their squad. They just passed their way around the opposition at will. I'm certain they would have won the European Cup that year if their idiot fans hadn't got english teams banned from europe.

Anyway - interested in your thoughts.
Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 05:26 - Jan 13 with 761 viewsWestcountryblue

Manchester United circa 97-08 ish. A team full of generational talents that enjoyed success over a sustained period of time. Probably around 5-6 players who you'd feel very comfortable making captain too. Leadership qualities are often overlooked in successful sports teams.
Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 05:52 - Jan 13 with 727 viewsnoggin

Best team I saw at Portman Rd was Brian Clough's Forest, in around 1978.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 05:54 - Jan 13 with 727 viewsjimsymBLUE

Taking it one step further would have loved to have seen the best two club sides I've seen battle it out.
Early 90's Milan, built on a rock like defence, all power and tactical nous. Everybody playing a set role, rigid but dominant.
Vs
Guardiola's Barca. Small team of interchangeable superstars, all movement and flair, attacking from all angles and dominating the ball. Messi v Prime Barasi & Maldini.
I'd just sway Barca but... We'll never know.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 08:44 - Jan 13 with 583 viewsChurchman

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 05:52 - Jan 13 by noggin

Best team I saw at Portman Rd was Brian Clough's Forest, in around 1978.

They came to Portman Road and played a night game not long before the 78 Cup Final. They’d just won the league. They won 2-0 and we never laid a glove on them. Great team.
Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 08:50 - Jan 13 with 575 viewsHerbivore

It's a toss up between Pep's City and the Arsenal invincibles for me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 09:05 - Jan 13 with 559 viewsxrayspecs

Liverpool late 70s to early 80s were the best I have seen.
Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 09:19 - Jan 13 with 539 viewssolemio

Spurs, 60/61.

Well maybe not, but they were a real pleasure to watch. Danny Blanchflower was superb, ditto John White and Dave Mackay.
Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 09:24 - Jan 13 with 528 viewsnoggin

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 08:44 - Jan 13 by Churchman

They came to Portman Road and played a night game not long before the 78 Cup Final. They’d just won the league. They won 2-0 and we never laid a glove on them. Great team.

That must be the game I remember. They looked likely to score every time they got the ball.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 09:29 - Jan 13 with 514 viewsOwainG1992

First memories properly of football for me was Owen's goal against Argentina.
So I always had a soft spot for Liverpool after that.
They didn't win anything but that 13/14 season I think it was when they threw the title away they were thrilling.
In terms of winning titles, Man U can't be faulted at all for the work Fergie did.
This current City look pretty great too as were the Silva, Aguero, Kompany and Co years.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 09:38 - Jan 13 with 500 viewsblueislander

Further to the 'how much would the 81 squad be worth thread'... on 09:29 - Jan 13 by OwainG1992

First memories properly of football for me was Owen's goal against Argentina.
So I always had a soft spot for Liverpool after that.
They didn't win anything but that 13/14 season I think it was when they threw the title away they were thrilling.
In terms of winning titles, Man U can't be faulted at all for the work Fergie did.
This current City look pretty great too as were the Silva, Aguero, Kompany and Co years.

Best team performance against Town was by Revie’s Leeds team. It was a very windy day but they scored 3 in the first half hour and then played keep ball for the remaining hour. A really nasty lot in many ways , but they were very good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024