Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
JWST Update 08:34 - Jan 25 with 703 viewsSamuelowen88

Now arrived, and successfully inserted into it's orbit around L2.

This is huge, another critical step ticked off. ~5 months of commissioning before the first real images come back

It's going to be insane.

Poll: England v Wales Score

JWST Update on 08:40 - Jan 25 with 674 viewsSonOfSpock

This is brilliant - one of the reasons I'd try and encourage any youngsters to try and get into STEM jobs. Imagine being in the first group of people to see pictures start coming in!

Space exploration and tech is going to be massive the next 10 years, bring it on.
JWST Update on 08:46 - Jan 25 with 654 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What actually is L2? It's just an area of space is it?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

JWST Update on 08:52 - Jan 25 with 643 viewsGuthrum

JWST Update on 08:46 - Jan 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

Lagrange Point 2, a point where the gravitational and rotational forces balance out to make it stable in relation to the two celestial bodies involved (in this case, Earth and the Sun). So it stays in the same position in relation to those two.

L2 is "in line with" Earth, but orbiting the Sun a bit further out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_point
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 8:53]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

JWST Update on 08:59 - Jan 25 with 622 viewsSamuelowen88

JWST Update on 08:46 - Jan 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

L2 is a point in space.

However JWST will actually orbit this point:

JWST Update on 09:28 - Jan 25 with 605 viewsfarkenhell

Thanks for posting this. I happened to tell my kids about it at breakfast this morning.

Does anyone know the length of the span of the mirrors (to save me looking it up)? My boy asked me how big the telescope is, to which I tried to fudge by explaining that the mirrors had to be folded to 1.5 metres before launch. He then replied "that's not what I asked."

Don't you hate it when they do that!
JWST Update on 09:31 - Jan 25 with 595 viewsSamuelowen88

JWST Update on 09:28 - Jan 25 by farkenhell

Thanks for posting this. I happened to tell my kids about it at breakfast this morning.

Does anyone know the length of the span of the mirrors (to save me looking it up)? My boy asked me how big the telescope is, to which I tried to fudge by explaining that the mirrors had to be folded to 1.5 metres before launch. He then replied "that's not what I asked."

Don't you hate it when they do that!

6.5m Mirror:

JWST Update on 09:34 - Jan 25 with 593 viewsChurchman

They need to crack on though. I mean, it only used to take a couple of weeks to get my holiday snaps back from Trueprint. What are they doing, for goodness sake?
JWST Update on 09:40 - Jan 25 with 580 viewsfarkenhell

JWST Update on 09:31 - Jan 25 by Samuelowen88

6.5m Mirror:

Thanks mate
Login to get fewer ads

JWST Update on 09:48 - Jan 25 with 571 viewsNthQldITFC

JWST Update on 08:52 - Jan 25 by Guthrum

Lagrange Point 2, a point where the gravitational and rotational forces balance out to make it stable in relation to the two celestial bodies involved (in this case, Earth and the Sun). So it stays in the same position in relation to those two.

L2 is "in line with" Earth, but orbiting the Sun a bit further out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_point
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 8:53]

I've just been staring at this for ten minutes or so. Will it make me go blind?

It looks to me like there are subtle differences in the iso-gravs or whatever they are called between the top half and the bottom. Assuming this has been produced mathematically, are those differences real, I wonder, effects of the moon's orbit?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

JWST Update on 09:56 - Jan 25 with 562 viewsSamuelowen88

JWST Update on 09:48 - Jan 25 by NthQldITFC

I've just been staring at this for ten minutes or so. Will it make me go blind?

It looks to me like there are subtle differences in the iso-gravs or whatever they are called between the top half and the bottom. Assuming this has been produced mathematically, are those differences real, I wonder, effects of the moon's orbit?

The different Lagrange points show there have different properties.

All based on their position relative to Earth and the Sun (other Solar System objects have an effect too but mainly those two)

All Lagrange points orbit the Sun, and stay in the same location relative to Earth.

L2 had to be chosen for JWST, even though the others would have had the same effect of holding it steady and needing zero (minimal) fuel to keep it there. Because on L2 has both the Sun and the Earth directly behind it, allowing the sail on JWST to keep instruments in total darkness the whole time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024