Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game 19:56 - Feb 26 with 1185 viewsArnieM

It doesn’t allow any partnerships to develop IMO and playing some of the strikers in their least effect position. After half way through that first half I’d have swapped Norwood and Bonne over . Neither can hit a barn door atm but Norwoods more physical approach may have got us something . Bonne appears to be like Pigott- a spent force atm……time to
Bring Simpson off the bench ? But stick with an attacking set up .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 19:59 - Feb 26 with 1166 viewshomer_123

So...to much chopping and changing but you then go on to say...

'After half way through that first half I’d have swapped Norwood and Bonne over.'

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:00 - Feb 26 with 1161 viewsFrimleyBlue

Arnie, if they can't hit a barn door, how would switching them make a difference it would just be one of 2 not hitting a barn door. For example, I can't remember the last time Norwood scored a header, would he have scored the 2 Bonne missed?

I don't feel partnerships being an issue, the football itself is fine, the chances are there, they just aren't going in, not forgetting the keeper pulled off some cracking saves too.

I get why KM is rotating, and it's quite common at higher level, you expect those who are selected to understand and play the roles correctly, which they all are, just not scoring.

The football itself is of the highest quality and something we've not seen of this side for many a season, it's not slow, it's not going to the halfway line and coming back, we've found ways of getting the ball forward even against deep sitting sides... It's purely the finishing that is letting us down.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 20:03]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:07 - Feb 26 with 1132 viewsArnieM

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 19:59 - Feb 26 by homer_123

So...to much chopping and changing but you then go on to say...

'After half way through that first half I’d have swapped Norwood and Bonne over.'

Yes because it clearly wasn’t working was it. Both players would still be on the pitch….but I think Norwood would have been more effective centrally. And Bonne might have been more effective wider and crossing the ball ……You obviously felt it was ok ?

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:08 - Feb 26 with 1127 viewsCuffy81

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:00 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

Arnie, if they can't hit a barn door, how would switching them make a difference it would just be one of 2 not hitting a barn door. For example, I can't remember the last time Norwood scored a header, would he have scored the 2 Bonne missed?

I don't feel partnerships being an issue, the football itself is fine, the chances are there, they just aren't going in, not forgetting the keeper pulled off some cracking saves too.

I get why KM is rotating, and it's quite common at higher level, you expect those who are selected to understand and play the roles correctly, which they all are, just not scoring.

The football itself is of the highest quality and something we've not seen of this side for many a season, it's not slow, it's not going to the halfway line and coming back, we've found ways of getting the ball forward even against deep sitting sides... It's purely the finishing that is letting us down.

Rotation us fine, but swapping all 3 every game doesn't really gve a chance for any partnerships to develop.

Ultimately they all look badly out of nick, though I thought Piggott and Jackson played well as pair last week and I would have liked to have seen us persevere with that
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:11 - Feb 26 with 1115 viewsFrimleyBlue

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:08 - Feb 26 by Cuffy81

Rotation us fine, but swapping all 3 every game doesn't really gve a chance for any partnerships to develop.

Ultimately they all look badly out of nick, though I thought Piggott and Jackson played well as pair last week and I would have liked to have seen us persevere with that

I'd agree about partnerships if we weren't creating, but were are, lack of partnerships isn't the reason for lack of goals IMO.

It's also fine lines

Burns or Chaplin score on tues, and donacien scores today, that's 2 wins and partnerships wouldn't even come into question imo

Waka waka eh eh

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:23 - Feb 26 with 1089 viewsArnieM

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:00 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

Possession stats are meaningless when it comes to winning 3 points, if you can’t stick the ball in the net from 1 yard out( Bonne, twice) .our dead ball crosses into the ball were complete Shyte , impossible for anyone to get on the end of.

I just think there is far too much chopping and changing of the front three EVERY game. It’s not helping players that are out of form. Why take Jackson out when he was clearly in form playing wide? Why take Celina out , when it was clear a bit of guile was required to unlock a ten man defensive opponent?

I can just imagine the uproar on here if it had been Lambert chopping and changing the 5eam every game like he used to, or if it was Cook ?

Pretty possession football doesn’t work for all games in this League doesn’t it! They just sit back and let’s us play our nice passing game and pack their defence in front of their box.
We are play8mg in the PL, we are playing in division THREE., and we don’t have Ronaldo, or a Kane or Son playing for us. Maybe Bonne , and Norwood aren’t capable of doing what McKenna wants them to do. Norwood clearly doesn’t like playing wide , and I think it shows, every time he’s asked to play there.

We have zero killer ( clinical) finishing ability in this side from our strikers. This needs to be addressed for next season without doubt.

I wouldn’t keep a single one of our current strikers….

Sorry to have a moan, but it’s so bloody frustrating watching this tbh. I could see in the first half it was “ Cheltenham “ all over again. And if I was a betting person, I’d stick a tenner on Fleetwood rolling us over next Saturday too. We can’t finish and we struggle with the physical teams ( which I didn’t think Morecambe were today btw).

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:24 - Feb 26 with 1079 viewsArnieM

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:08 - Feb 26 by Cuffy81

Exactly what I’m trying to say. Thank you.

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:38 - Feb 26 with 1048 viewsFrimleyBlue

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:23 - Feb 26 by ArnieM

Possession stats are meaningless when it comes to winning 3 points, if you can’t stick the ball in the net from 1 yard out( Bonne, twice) .our dead ball crosses into the ball were complete Shyte , impossible for anyone to get on the end of.

I just think there is far too much chopping and changing of the front three EVERY game. It’s not helping players that are out of form. Why take Jackson out when he was clearly in form playing wide? Why take Celina out , when it was clear a bit of guile was required to unlock a ten man defensive opponent?

I can just imagine the uproar on here if it had been Lambert chopping and changing the 5eam every game like he used to, or if it was Cook ?

Pretty possession football doesn’t work for all games in this League doesn’t it! They just sit back and let’s us play our nice passing game and pack their defence in front of their box.
We are play8mg in the PL, we are playing in division THREE., and we don’t have Ronaldo, or a Kane or Son playing for us. Maybe Bonne , and Norwood aren’t capable of doing what McKenna wants them to do. Norwood clearly doesn’t like playing wide , and I think it shows, every time he’s asked to play there.

We have zero killer ( clinical) finishing ability in this side from our strikers. This needs to be addressed for next season without doubt.

Sorry to have a moan, but it’s so bloody frustrating watching this tbh. I could see in the first half it was “ Cheltenham “ all over again. And if I was a betting person, I’d stick a tenner on Fleetwood rolling us over next Saturday too. We can’t finish and we struggle with the physical teams ( which I didn’t think Morecambe were today btw).

39 shots over 2 games doesn't show that we are just sitting and playing football on the halfway line tho Arnie

The simple fact is. We are creating. More in these 2 games than the previous actual wins. We just haven't scored. I'm more pleased over these 2 games than I was with some of the previous wins as there is a clear direction of where we are going and how we are starting to unlock deep sat teams. Bonne scores his chances or donacien at the end and you wouldn't be saying we've failed to create today.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 21:02]

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:40 - Feb 26 with 1041 viewsCuffy81

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:11 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

I'd agree about partnerships if we weren't creating, but were are, lack of partnerships isn't the reason for lack of goals IMO.

It's also fine lines

Burns or Chaplin score on tues, and donacien scores today, that's 2 wins and partnerships wouldn't even come into question imo

We have 4 very capable strikers at this level and we have got into a situation where they are all out of nick, only could happen to us really.

It's fine lines as you say but we can't keep missing chance after chance, dominating games and not putting the ball in the net.

I'm sure sports science plays a part with the rotation I just feel now we are at a point where we need try and play a partnership into some sort of form
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:44 - Feb 26 with 1026 viewsFrimleyBlue

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:40 - Feb 26 by Cuffy81

We have 4 very capable strikers at this level and we have got into a situation where they are all out of nick, only could happen to us really.

It's fine lines as you say but we can't keep missing chance after chance, dominating games and not putting the ball in the net.

I'm sure sports science plays a part with the rotation I just feel now we are at a point where we need try and play a partnership into some sort of form

It's strange tho. People saying stop rotating players need games. Yet bonne went 1 on 14 before he got dropped. That's a long run.

Waka waka eh eh

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:50 - Feb 26 with 1000 viewsCuffy81

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:44 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

It's strange tho. People saying stop rotating players need games. Yet bonne went 1 on 14 before he got dropped. That's a long run.

Bonne bought himself some time with his early season form and being a town fan dropping him was never going to be a popular move with the fans, probably kept him longer than what we should have.

He looks the one most out of sorts right now, no justification for today's misses
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:22 - Feb 26 with 919 viewsArnieM

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:38 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

39 shots over 2 games doesn't show that we are just sitting and playing football on the halfway line tho Arnie

The simple fact is. We are creating. More in these 2 games than the previous actual wins. We just haven't scored. I'm more pleased over these 2 games than I was with some of the previous wins as there is a clear direction of where we are going and how we are starting to unlock deep sat teams. Bonne scores his chances or donacien at the end and you wouldn't be saying we've failed to create today.

I was only able to watch the first half today , but what strikes me is for all these “ chances” we create , I can’t really remember the goalkeeper actually having a save to make . I’m sure that was the case v Cheltenham too .

The other thing is , one striker might be off form at any one point for a perilous if time in a season. That’s common. But ALL of our strikers are off form.

Do they are either not good enough , or there’s too much chopping and changing amongst the partnerships up front.

Now compare the defence . It’s picked game in game out, same players …. And our defence by and large has been rock solid .

There’s too much “ rotation” going on . These are not PL players , and we are not a top 5 PL club … so perhaps McKenna needs to revisit his approach for the Third division a little . He’s more than capable, and it is a learning curve for him too tbf. But I think he’s making his own problems up front , I really do.

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:33 - Feb 26 with 885 viewsFrimleyBlue

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:22 - Feb 26 by ArnieM

I was only able to watch the first half today , but what strikes me is for all these “ chances” we create , I can’t really remember the goalkeeper actually having a save to make . I’m sure that was the case v Cheltenham too .

The other thing is , one striker might be off form at any one point for a perilous if time in a season. That’s common. But ALL of our strikers are off form.

Do they are either not good enough , or there’s too much chopping and changing amongst the partnerships up front.

Now compare the defence . It’s picked game in game out, same players …. And our defence by and large has been rock solid .

There’s too much “ rotation” going on . These are not PL players , and we are not a top 5 PL club … so perhaps McKenna needs to revisit his approach for the Third division a little . He’s more than capable, and it is a learning curve for him too tbf. But I think he’s making his own problems up front , I really do.

With respect Arnie. If you can't remember what saves the keeper make then that kinda ruins your overall take on today's game. He had a fantastic game saved numerous shots destined for top corners. Stopped donaciean 3 yards out in the 90th minute aswell. You've clearly missed alot not seeing 2nd half aswell.

Our attacking third is rotated due to the role required. It's heavily based on running, you can't and won't get a run of games with the same lineup due to the level on which we require a certain level of intense play. On and off the ball.

Personally there needs to be an understanding that KM is building a team and installing his required standards of what he wants going forwards. If the likes of Bonne and Norwood etc can't do the business with rotation then they will have shown they can't be taken forward next season.

This isn't just about trying to finish in the play offs, KM wasn't given that target when he joined that's obvious by our Jan window activity. It's about doing as well as we can and hope for playoffs whilst putting something in place that suits the club long term something just wasn't doing.

Waka waka eh eh

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:34 - Feb 26 with 883 viewsAlanG296

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:38 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

Yes isn't it a shame that the 3 points aren't given to the team with the most shots, or alternatively most possession. Not fair that it's decided on the number of times you get the round thing into the other team's goal.
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:37 - Feb 26 with 851 viewsFrimleyBlue

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:34 - Feb 26 by AlanG296

Yes isn't it a shame that the 3 points aren't given to the team with the most shots, or alternatively most possession. Not fair that it's decided on the number of times you get the round thing into the other team's goal.

You'd have a point if the discussion was around what you get 3 points for but it's not.

Waka waka eh eh

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:45 - Feb 26 with 830 viewsAlanG296

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:37 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

You'd have a point if the discussion was around what you get 3 points for but it's not.

Ultimately football's always only about the three points, and we weren't good enough in the last two games to get them.
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:57 - Feb 26 with 803 viewsFrimleyBlue

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:45 - Feb 26 by AlanG296

Ultimately football's always only about the three points, and we weren't good enough in the last two games to get them.

Correct. But again that's not the discussion.

Waka waka eh eh

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 22:08 - Feb 26 with 769 viewsjayessess

Partnerships allow you to develop patterns of play and combinations, which we're doing anyway. Partnerships aren't going to make an individual player finish an individual chance better.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 22:14]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 22:37 - Feb 26 with 714 viewsEireannach_gorm

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 20:23 - Feb 26 by ArnieM

The problem is created by not having a finisher in our forwards. We are scrambling around for a solution within the squad. My view is that with the resources we have currently and the division we are in that we should try a bit of chaos theory. We are a bit too easy to defend against and I think we should use more of the ' crash, bang, wallop' merchants. I think there is a strong case for playing Simpson ( sensibly & sparingly ) to soften up the opposition.

I also dont understand why we cant improve our set pieces which is a area that can be practiced ( unlike goalscoring ).
Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 07:03 - Feb 27 with 597 viewsArnieM

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 21:33 - Feb 26 by FrimleyBlue

With respect Arnie. If you can't remember what saves the keeper make then that kinda ruins your overall take on today's game. He had a fantastic game saved numerous shots destined for top corners. Stopped donaciean 3 yards out in the 90th minute aswell. You've clearly missed alot not seeing 2nd half aswell.

Our attacking third is rotated due to the role required. It's heavily based on running, you can't and won't get a run of games with the same lineup due to the level on which we require a certain level of intense play. On and off the ball.

Personally there needs to be an understanding that KM is building a team and installing his required standards of what he wants going forwards. If the likes of Bonne and Norwood etc can't do the business with rotation then they will have shown they can't be taken forward next season.

This isn't just about trying to finish in the play offs, KM wasn't given that target when he joined that's obvious by our Jan window activity. It's about doing as well as we can and hope for playoffs whilst putting something in place that suits the club long term something just wasn't doing.

Thank you FrimleyBlue for your excellent response. I take on board your points. I do see and understand there is very much the bigger picture and to that end I doubt very much that any of the current four strikers will be with us next season.

COYBs 👍

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 07:41 - Feb 27 with 555 viewstextbackup

You don’t need a working relationship to head the ball in an empty net from 2 yards, or to smash it in the net from 5 yards.

Enough chances created to win that game twice over.

They are just inconsistent- and it’s a shame that’s all fallen at the same time

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 08:46 - Feb 27 with 495 viewsArnieM

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 07:41 - Feb 27 by textbackup

You don’t need a working relationship to head the ball in an empty net from 2 yards, or to smash it in the net from 5 yards.

Enough chances created to win that game twice over.

They are just inconsistent- and it’s a shame that’s all fallen at the same time

I quite agree with you . So why was he picked to play ? He’s been missing sitters for weeks and weeks now. I thought the front three v Cheltenham looked the best we’d had for a while ( and yes they missed chances too) but did they deserve to be dropped for the next game?

It’s not easy to unravel why the attack is misfiring for sure . My overriding feeling is not many of them will be here next season because they can’t adapt to what McK is looking for. It’s just bloody frustrating watching these sitters getting missed time and again .

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 08:50 - Feb 27 with 491 viewstextbackup

Too much chopping and changing of the attackers every game on 08:46 - Feb 27 by ArnieM

I quite agree with you . So why was he picked to play ? He’s been missing sitters for weeks and weeks now. I thought the front three v Cheltenham looked the best we’d had for a while ( and yes they missed chances too) but did they deserve to be dropped for the next game?

It’s not easy to unravel why the attack is misfiring for sure . My overriding feeling is not many of them will be here next season because they can’t adapt to what McK is looking for. It’s just bloody frustrating watching these sitters getting missed time and again .

I suspect KMc sees certain attributes each player brings to each different game.
Bonne should have had a hatrick from yesterday, off top of head I don’t recall the strikers having that many chances vs Cheltenham? (I might be wrong)

I do think we’ll persuade a Morsy quality champ striker to join the party in the summer. We are a consistent striker away from being run away division winner next year IMHO

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024