Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A chat last night 08:25 - Jul 18 with 2860 viewsWakh

I'm actually in Bolton at the mo and met 3 of the Bolton lads last night all really chatty. I asked how they thought the season would go and they were quietly confident.

I said I supported town and one said, you guys should go up this year with your signings and the one you are trying to get in. I said what Hirst? He said, no I wasn't meaning him. I didn't push him as he clearly couldnt say but got the imimpression it was a mate of his, it was a loan and imminent.
A chat last night on 08:26 - Jul 18 with 2798 viewsMetal_Hacker

Bolton - near Manchester - Ronaldo innit

Poll: If it were one or the other

A chat last night on 08:43 - Jul 18 with 2610 viewscatch74

Not so far from Leeds - maybe Davis?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

A chat last night on 08:48 - Jul 18 with 2552 viewsWeWereZombies

Paul Warhurst ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A chat last night on 08:59 - Jul 18 with 2436 viewsSTYG

I don't wish to poke holes in this story, but would be interested to know how you deduced it was a loan if they simply mentioned an anonymous player we were trying to get in.

I can't see any way we'd loan anyone from Bolton. If we are remotely interested in improving our squad with a player from a team that finished around us it's going to be one of their top players and they aren't going to let them go unless it's a decent transfer fee.

Afolayan would be the only one I could see us going for and that would be a permanent and on the basis Celina deal is dead.

Perhaps one of them played with Leif Davis previously?
A chat last night on 09:07 - Jul 18 with 2327 viewsStewart27

A chat last night on 08:59 - Jul 18 by STYG

I don't wish to poke holes in this story, but would be interested to know how you deduced it was a loan if they simply mentioned an anonymous player we were trying to get in.

I can't see any way we'd loan anyone from Bolton. If we are remotely interested in improving our squad with a player from a team that finished around us it's going to be one of their top players and they aren't going to let them go unless it's a decent transfer fee.

Afolayan would be the only one I could see us going for and that would be a permanent and on the basis Celina deal is dead.

Perhaps one of them played with Leif Davis previously?

I’m thinking it’ll be a United youngster that they know.
A chat last night on 09:11 - Jul 18 with 2280 viewsIpswichRising

A chat last night on 09:07 - Jul 18 by Stewart27

Jesse Lingard
A chat last night on 09:11 - Jul 18 with 2272 viewsSTYG

Quite possibly. Can't really see us bringing too many in now though. Davis, Hirst and Celina or alternatives.

Would be very surprised if anyone else comes in, especially as any Hladky move seems less likely now with reportedly interested Scottish sides bringing in others.
A chat last night on 09:13 - Jul 18 with 2246 viewsUppaTowen78

Alvaro Fernandez? LWB.
Login to get fewer ads

A chat last night on 09:15 - Jul 18 with 2205 viewsSTYG

A chat last night on 09:13 - Jul 18 by UppaTowen78

Alvaro Fernandez? LWB.

If we took any loan from United, he seem the most likely one.

Can't see us risking promotion on a young striker and Fernandez has a similar profile to Davis and is one we've been linked with since McKenna first came in.
A chat last night on 09:22 - Jul 18 with 2111 viewsjayessess

A chat last night on 09:15 - Jul 18 by STYG

If we took any loan from United, he seem the most likely one.

Can't see us risking promotion on a young striker and Fernandez has a similar profile to Davis and is one we've been linked with since McKenna first came in.

Reasonable gap in profile, no? Fernandez is 19 and has never played a single minute of senior football, Davis is 22 and has played 31 games.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

A chat last night on 09:23 - Jul 18 with 2094 viewsclive_baker

A chat last night on 09:11 - Jul 18 by STYG

Quite possibly. Can't really see us bringing too many in now though. Davis, Hirst and Celina or alternatives.

Would be very surprised if anyone else comes in, especially as any Hladky move seems less likely now with reportedly interested Scottish sides bringing in others.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start the season with another loan or 2 on the books. It's often a case of waiting for Premier league 25 man squads to get set before their recruitment teams get to work on loaning out the younger fringe players not included. Charlie Savage for example, I would think he'll do a year somewhere, and maybe Liam Delap from City, although the Championship is perhaps a more likely destination for them.

I think there will be 2 or 3 more in, whether it be the ones we've been heavily linked with or others. 2 out maybe eg. El Miz and / or Harper, maybe Penney if we recruit a LB / LWB. Wouldn't rule out Edwards as well if there was interest.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A chat last night on 09:28 - Jul 18 with 2006 viewsSTYG

A chat last night on 09:22 - Jul 18 by jayessess

Reasonable gap in profile, no? Fernandez is 19 and has never played a single minute of senior football, Davis is 22 and has played 31 games.

Sorry. Meant playing profile. In terms of positions and skill sets. Believe both can play left sided wing back or left sided centre half in a three.
A chat last night on 09:35 - Jul 18 with 1922 viewsjayessess

A chat last night on 09:23 - Jul 18 by clive_baker

I wouldn't be surprised if we start the season with another loan or 2 on the books. It's often a case of waiting for Premier league 25 man squads to get set before their recruitment teams get to work on loaning out the younger fringe players not included. Charlie Savage for example, I would think he'll do a year somewhere, and maybe Liam Delap from City, although the Championship is perhaps a more likely destination for them.

I think there will be 2 or 3 more in, whether it be the ones we've been heavily linked with or others. 2 out maybe eg. El Miz and / or Harper, maybe Penney if we recruit a LB / LWB. Wouldn't rule out Edwards as well if there was interest.

I think it's extremely doubtful that we'll look to make this sort of move. The pursuit of Davis and Hirst shows we're looking to spend money on players that are a bit older, on whom we can turn a profit and who'll be likely first choice in their position. We've shown no real inclination to pick up 19-year-olds with no league experience on loan and I can't see why Manchester United would send us someone like Charlie Savage so he can sit in our reserves behind Ball, Morsy and Evans.

A chat last night on 09:42 - Jul 18 with 1809 viewsGarv

A chat last night on 09:35 - Jul 18 by jayessess

I think it's extremely doubtful that we'll look to make this sort of move. The pursuit of Davis and Hirst shows we're looking to spend money on players that are a bit older, on whom we can turn a profit and who'll be likely first choice in their position. We've shown no real inclination to pick up 19-year-olds with no league experience on loan and I can't see why Manchester United would send us someone like Charlie Savage so he can sit in our reserves behind Ball, Morsy and Evans.

And Humphreys.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A chat last night on 09:48 - Jul 18 with 1734 viewsclive_baker

A chat last night on 09:35 - Jul 18 by jayessess

Time will tell, but I'm not sure it's true that we've "shown no inclination to to pick up 19-year-olds with no league experience on loan", we don't know what conversations have taken place. We had Savage and Fish training with us from United, we're clearly working to leverage KM's relationships and trying to build on them. That was glorified work experience, but those links could prove really valuable when United have settled their squad, and it's not with a view to buying Rashford. It wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if we took one of their youngsters, although I don't think it will be Savage specifically as we're well stocked in midfield. The pursuit of Davis and Hirst is a bit different, I don't think we'll be in the market to permanently sign young players from United, but loan deals that supplement the squad is possible. It's going to depend to a large extent on how and if those deals develop I would think.

A chat last night on 09:53 - Jul 18 with 1673 viewsjayessess

A chat last night on 09:42 - Jul 18 by Garv

And Humphreys.

Quite, talk about blocking pathways!

Just checked and first loaning very young players for squad depth doesn't seem to be Ashton's style at all. Bristol City took very few loans 2018-21 and all of them had some EFL experience and most of them quite a lot.

A chat last night on 09:59 - Jul 18 with 1601 viewsclive_baker

A chat last night on 09:53 - Jul 18 by jayessess

Quite, talk about blocking pathways!

Just checked and first loaning very young players for squad depth doesn't seem to be Ashton's style at all. Bristol City took very few loans 2018-21 and all of them had some EFL experience and most of them quite a lot.

Yet it was under Ashton that we took Barry from Villa. He had just turned 18 and we gave him his first senior appearance. That proved not to work out for either party but it's a stretch to say there isn't a precedent.

A chat last night on 10:11 - Jul 18 with 1450 viewsjayessess

A chat last night on 09:59 - Jul 18 by clive_baker

Yet it was under Ashton that we took Barry from Villa. He had just turned 18 and we gave him his first senior appearance. That proved not to work out for either party but it's a stretch to say there isn't a precedent.

Not a great advert for the practice or for us as a potential loan destination!

Think Barry illustrates why we're an awkward destination for placing first loans. We're rich for the division we're in and can permanently recruit players who might otherwise find a space at a higher level. Most loan players who would feature regularly in our first team could almost certainly find a spot at a Championship club. If your players can't quite find a Championship loan there are League One clubs where they'll be the main man and guaranteed lots of games whilst at Ipswich they'd just be squad depth.

A chat last night on 10:18 - Jul 18 with 1379 viewsSTYG

A chat last night on 10:11 - Jul 18 by jayessess

Not a great advert for the practice or for us as a potential loan destination!

Think Barry illustrates why we're an awkward destination for placing first loans. We're rich for the division we're in and can permanently recruit players who might otherwise find a space at a higher level. Most loan players who would feature regularly in our first team could almost certainly find a spot at a Championship club. If your players can't quite find a Championship loan there are League One clubs where they'll be the main man and guaranteed lots of games whilst at Ipswich they'd just be squad depth.

It's a good point.

That's the problem with having, what looks like on paper, half of a decent Championship team.

You're more likely to loan to a higher level or a team in our division where the loan player features every week. We are the least desirable location for a loan in many respects.
A chat last night on 10:23 - Jul 18 with 1297 viewsjayessess

A chat last night on 10:18 - Jul 18 by STYG

It's a good point.

That's the problem with having, what looks like on paper, half of a decent Championship team.

You're more likely to loan to a higher level or a team in our division where the loan player features every week. We are the least desirable location for a loan in many respects.

One reason why Tyreece John-Jules is a great pick up for us. Between his successful loan at Doncaster and his unsuccessful one at Blackpool, he's a very rare thing, a young loan proven in League One who can't get a move to Championship!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 10:32]

A chat last night on 10:29 - Jul 18 with 1198 viewsclive_baker

A chat last night on 10:18 - Jul 18 by STYG

It's a good point.

I think it depends on circumstances to a large extent. Last season was a bit of a car crash in many respects, and with Barry specifically I thought there was a lot of traffic ahead of him and it didnt really seem to make sense even at the time. Pigott is a player who should be in his prime, off the back of a brilliant season at Wimbledon and even he struggled for minutes thanks to Bonne's form in the first half, so Barry really had no chance. He had ample opportunity in the U23s (such was the agreement with Villa) and KD doesn't have much positive to say of him. He was particularly raw, he only turned 18 a short while before we signed him.

Someone like Alvaro Fernandez I could see happening. If Penney moves on and Davis didn't happen. He would have a good shot at challenging Leigh for that starting role, he's that bit older than Barry and just won the United U23's POTS. Not to mention the pre existing relationship with KM. It's a signing I could see happening depending on what happens with Davis, but time will tell.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024