Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place 22:26 - Jul 26 with 2070 viewsunstableblue

Listening to McKenna and thinking about performances in pre-season i guesstimate that JJ, Aluko, KVY, Edwards and Humphreys have pushed themselves into plans for a match day squad

Perhaps Harper, El Miz, Ndaba and Penney less so

I think starting 11 Saturday in a 3-4-2-1 (but for teams planning to park the bus we may see the 4-2-3-1 of tonight….

–––––––––-Walton
––-Donacien–- Wolf–-Edmundson
Burns–––––Evans–-Morsy––––-Leigh
–––––-Chaplin–––––Harness
–––––––––––Ladapo

Subs: Hdalky, KVY, Burgess, Humphreys, Aluko, Edwards, JJ

With Ball and Leif joining the first 11 shortly, Evans dropping out Humphreys, and Leigh pushing out KVY (that last change seems wrong!!)

How do we fit Jackson in?! Who has had a good pre-season. Perhaps Edwards.

A lot of competition and depth. A few disappointed players when match day squad announced and many when Ball and Leif come in.

I still think the first 11 and bench will surprise come Sept! With perhaps KVY, JJ, Edwards and/or Aluko being key players

Don’t think McKenna is going to accept peformances without energy, endeavour and confidence.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McKenna confirming El Miz will go out on loan when he can on 22:49 - Jul 26 with 1900 viewsunstableblue

Humphreys up the pecking order

Wonder if Harper will be kept on.

Penney surely to leave, can’t see him ever making match day squad

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 23:06 - Jul 26 with 1790 viewsFrimleyBlue

Walton

Donacien
Wolfenden
Edmundson

Burns
Morsy
Evans
Leigh

Chaplin
Aluko
Ladapo

Harness
JJ
Davis
Hladky
Burgess
Jackson
Edwards

I do wonder in future if we might see

Walton

Donacien
Wolfenden
Davis

Burns
Morsy
Ball
Leigh

John Jules
Harness
Ladapo

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 02:03 - Jul 27 with 1631 viewsWestcountryblue

Walton, Burns, Donacien, Woolfenden, Edmundson, Leigh, Evans, Morsy, Aluko, Chaplin, Lapado.

Subs: Harness, Davis, Hladky, Burgess, TJJ, Edwards, Harper

With all his experience and quality, particularly in retaining and using the ball high up the pitch, i think Aluko is a must pick for this weekend. The likes of Davis, Harness et al, will be eased into the squad.

Over the course of the season, i expect TJJ and Edwards will be the 2 who really start to break into that starting 11 on a regular basis.

What is evident this season, is that we have serious pace in the team with Jackson, Ladapo, Harness, Edwards, Burns, Leigh and KVY. With the new subs rule, that could win us a lot of points.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 2:06]
Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 07:32 - Jul 27 with 1348 viewsunstableblue

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 02:03 - Jul 27 by Westcountryblue

Walton, Burns, Donacien, Woolfenden, Edmundson, Leigh, Evans, Morsy, Aluko, Chaplin, Lapado.

Subs: Harness, Davis, Hladky, Burgess, TJJ, Edwards, Harper

With all his experience and quality, particularly in retaining and using the ball high up the pitch, i think Aluko is a must pick for this weekend. The likes of Davis, Harness et al, will be eased into the squad.

Over the course of the season, i expect TJJ and Edwards will be the 2 who really start to break into that starting 11 on a regular basis.

What is evident this season, is that we have serious pace in the team with Jackson, Ladapo, Harness, Edwards, Burns, Leigh and KVY. With the new subs rule, that could win us a lot of points.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 2:06]

Both you and Frimley put Aluko ahead of Harness to start.

The Millwall starting 11 I think was McKennas plan for Bolton, with obviously Leigh coming in for Penney, with our new left wing back already in competition for his place with our new new wing back from Leeds.

Harness once settled into the game at the Den showed attributes beyond what Chaplin and Aluko bring, more pace, more working in between the lines, quicker forward ball.

Perhaps Chaplin and Aluko are too similar? Have they ever started together?

But certainly alongside JJ, Aluko has had a very strong pre-season and looks sharp.

I still think my selection will be announced at 2pm Saturday (how exciting?!) and if Bolton are holding out or leading you’ll see at 70mins a triple substitution of Aluko, JJ, and Edwards or Jackson.

Given the bench of 7 the other big question is whether Jackson gets the nod over Edwards. I agree with you probably not.

Agree Harper may get nod over Humphreys as it’s a Ball back-up not another creative,

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 07:39 - Jul 27 with 1322 viewstractorboy1978

Think the side that finished the game last night will start, bar perhaps Penney.
So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 07:42 - Jul 27 with 1306 viewsunstableblue

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 07:39 - Jul 27 by tractorboy1978

Think the side that finished the game last night will start, bar perhaps Penney.

What was that…. Feeling too lazy to look at Phil’s report sub timings

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 07:43 - Jul 27 with 1298 viewstractorboy1978

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 07:42 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

What was that…. Feeling too lazy to look at Phil’s report sub timings

The starting 11 you put in your original post, except Penney. In essence I think your 11 is right.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 7:44]
Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 08:14 - Jul 27 with 1182 viewsDJR

Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 07:32 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

The Millwall starting 11 I think was McKennas plan for Bolton, with obviously Leigh coming in for Penney, with our new left wing back already in competition for his place with our new new wing back from Leeds.

Harness once settled into the game at the Den showed attributes beyond what Chaplin and Aluko bring, more pace, more working in between the lines, quicker forward ball.

But certainly alongside JJ, Aluko has had a very strong pre-season and looks sharp.

I still think my selection will be announced at 2pm Saturday (how exciting?!) and if Bolton are holding out or leading you’ll see at 70mins a triple substitution of Aluko, JJ, and Edwards or Jackson.

Given the bench of 7 the other big question is whether Jackson gets the nod over Edwards. I agree with you probably not.

Agree Harper may get nod over Humphreys as it’s a Ball back-up not another creative,

I think Jackson will feature in every game, if fit. He may not start often, but his pace is something worth having in reserve, especially if the game is tight. At Millwall, his pace clearly terrified a Championship level defence, and opened up space for others. I am also inclined to think that Edwards will also often find a place on the bench (if not in the starting 11), because he can open up defences and appears now to have an end product. I think this means that people like KVY and Harper are lower down the pecking order.
Login to get fewer ads

Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 08:26 - Jul 27 with 1144 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 08:14 - Jul 27 by DJR

I think Jackson will feature in every game, if fit. He may not start often, but his pace is something worth having in reserve, especially if the game is tight. At Millwall, his pace clearly terrified a Championship level defence, and opened up space for others. I am also inclined to think that Edwards will also often find a place on the bench (if not in the starting 11), because he can open up defences and appears now to have an end product. I think this means that people like KVY and Harper are lower down the pecking order.

Agree that Jackson is a likely starter. I think Jackson is best in the first part of the game when the game is more open, and can try a few balls down the channel for him to run in behind. Once you get to the last 30 mins and teams are parking the bus, that doesn't work as well.
Walton
Donacien - Wolf - Fridge
Burns - Morsy - Evans - Leigh
Aluko - Jackson
Ladapo

Subs:
Hladky
Davis
KVY
Ball
Chaplin
Harness
TJJ

Poll: would you rather

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 08:53 - Jul 27 with 1034 viewsNthQldITFC

As far as the front three go, particularly the 10s, I really haven't got a clue and that's just brilliant because it looks like we've got so many good and varied options/combinations.

Also, with five changes allowed we're now definitely into an era of 'starters' and 'finishers' a la Eddie Jones (and other superior rugby codes) rather than 'first team' and 'substitutes'. This is one change in football I actually like! I'm pretty sure our management team and recruitment team have been wise enough to recruit and manage players who understand that being in the starting eleven is not the be all and end all.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 08:58 - Jul 27 with 1007 viewsMeltonBlue

For me I can see us lining up

Walton

Fridge
Wolf
JD

Burns RWB
Davis LWB (think he will go straight in as not sure that Leigh would of played 75 last night otherwise)

Morsy
Evans

JJ
Chaplin

Ladapo
Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 09:07 - Jul 27 with 990 viewsWestcountryblue

Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 07:32 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

Aluko is consistent and plays a fundamental role in threading our play together and retaining possession. Opening games of the season tend to be nervy affairs and that's where Aluko's experience will be invaluable.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 9:08]
So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 09:33 - Jul 27 with 950 viewsDJR

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 08:53 - Jul 27 by NthQldITFC

As far as the front three go, particularly the 10s, I really haven't got a clue and that's just brilliant because it looks like we've got so many good and varied options/combinations.

Also, with five changes allowed we're now definitely into an era of 'starters' and 'finishers' a la Eddie Jones (and other superior rugby codes) rather than 'first team' and 'substitutes'. This is one change in football I actually like! I'm pretty sure our management team and recruitment team have been wise enough to recruit and manage players who understand that being in the starting eleven is not the be all and end all.

Agreed, and the prospect of being able to bring on, say, Edwards, Aluko, Jackson and John Jules is fantastic, whether or not the game is going according to plan.
So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 09:40 - Jul 27 with 928 viewsrickw

I think last night's starting XI was McKenna's 2nd XI, so if that's
Hladky, Vincent-Young, Burgess, Ndaba, Leigh, Harper, Humphreys, Edwards, Aluko, John-Jules, Jackson.
I think that means our first XI will be
––––––––Walton
––-Donacien–- Woolf–-Edmundson
Burns–––––Ball–-Morsy––––-Davis
––––-Chaplin–––––Harness
––––––––Ladapo

Obviously Ball doubtful with a knock and Davis only just through the door I think we'll see Evans and Leigh start in their places

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 09:55 - Jul 27 with 861 viewsunstableblue

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 08:53 - Jul 27 by NthQldITFC

I think you have it…

With 5.. it means a defensive and midfield back up sub places are always there in case of injury in the 90… meaning 3 attacking subs guaranteed at 70mins

So an Aluko, JJ/Jackson, Edwards… or a wing back even to up the tempo

As you say rugby like fresh energy and desire

Get the likes of harness, Chaplin and Ladapo to play very high tempo knowing they are doing it for 70mins

Bolton will be very hard to break down and beat though… so a really tough test to start

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 10:01 - Jul 27 with 837 viewsWallingford_Boy

I'd say thats spot on.

Aluko works better off the bench.

No need to fit Jackson in!

RIP Sir Bobby

Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 10:22 - Jul 27 with 798 viewsiamipswich

Perhaps Aluko at the expense of Chaplin? on 08:26 - Jul 27 by LegendofthePhoenix

Agree that Jackson is a likely starter. I think Jackson is best in the first part of the game when the game is more open, and can try a few balls down the channel for him to run in behind. Once you get to the last 30 mins and teams are parking the bus, that doesn't work as well.
Walton
Donacien - Wolf - Fridge
Burns - Morsy - Evans - Leigh
Aluko - Jackson
Ladapo

Subs:
Hladky
Davis
KVY
Ball
Chaplin
Harness
TJJ

If this is right, I'll eat my hat. No way will that be the attacking midfield combo. Chaplin has to start and I think Aluko deserves a chance after a good pre-season before Harness is given a chance. Not entirely sure where you've got Jackson being a regular starter from but I've been wrong many many times before.

Poll: Who will return first?

So starters for Bolton, 7 subs and who’s pressing for a place on 10:23 - Jul 27 with 793 viewsGuthrum

The question of "How do wi fit in ... ?" is linked to the increased number of subs this season. I think we'll see a lot of 60/30, or even 45/45, splits on the more dynamic positions, giving players licence to go flat out for most of their time on the pitch. The idea being to batter opponents with waves of attack, then bring on fresh legs for a high-tempo finish.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024