Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boncho, goals, and cult heroes 15:52 - Oct 18 with 566 viewsIllinoisblue

Chatting to the Bulgarian lady in the office and inevitably, Boncho came up. I was hoping she’d heard of him or was perhaps distantly related. Nope. Anyway, sent her the Wikipedia link about him and I was genuinely shocked to discover he only scored 6 goals for us. And three of them were against Harry the Haddock in the FA Cup.

He actually scored more for Luton than he did for us.

If your name rhymes with a 2unlimited song you too could become a cult hero.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 15:53 - Oct 18 with 533 viewswaveneyblue

Surely it was more than 6 ... or is my memory tainted like yours?

I remember the hat-trick - only 3 others? - Blackburn "wonder-goal" was one.
Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 15:54 - Oct 18 with 527 viewsPhilTWTD

Actually scored 11 goals for us: https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=3133
Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 16:00 - Oct 18 with 484 viewsIllinoisblue

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 15:54 - Oct 18 by PhilTWTD

Actually scored 11 goals for us: https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=3133

I can never trust Wikipedia again. Sticking to Ask Jeeves from now on.

62 - 78 - 81

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 16:05 - Oct 18 with 473 viewsbluelagos

USA 94 was my honeymoon - after England never qualified I got tickets to watch the winners of Ireland/Italy group in the knockout in New Jersey.

Didn't expect to be watching Mexico (Group winners) vs Bulgaria. Boncho came on in extra time and from memory was the first goal scorer in the penalty shoot out.

Most annoying thing was the American prick who asked which baseball team Ipswich was, his having spotted my flag.

Waste of a world cup tbh. Hopefully the next one is better.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 16:06 - Oct 18 with 472 viewsGeoffSentence

I went Skiing in Borovets about 10 years ago, the instructor asked everybody in his group where we were all from. When I said Ipswich, he paused for a second before adding 'you know Bontcho Guenchev?'

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 16:29 - Oct 18 with 416 viewsIllinoisblue

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 16:06 - Oct 18 by GeoffSentence

I went Skiing in Borovets about 10 years ago, the instructor asked everybody in his group where we were all from. When I said Ipswich, he paused for a second before adding 'you know Bontcho Guenchev?'

Love it! When I was in London in 2016 was in some pizza restaurant and the Bulgarian waiter was either a friend or maybe Boncho’s brother. (Not much difference, right?) I was a few drinks in so don’t fully recall. World wide fame off the back of 11 goals. Bonkers

62 - 78 - 81

Boncho, goals, and cult heroes on 18:55 - Oct 18 with 289 viewsstonojnr

tbf if every goal you try and score is an overhead scissor kick, you do tend to be memorable :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024