Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds 15:20 - Apr 9 with 752 viewsZx1988

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68769820

TL;DR - Newcastle have agreed an exclusivity deal allowing JD Sports sole rights (outside of the club) to sell their kits next season. Sports Direct have kicked off as "if Newcastle fans were unable to buy their kits at Sports Direct then they wouldn't buy other goods there either and "may never come back", with people "losing faith in the credibility" of the store.".

My gut reaction is that it sucks to be them, but do any of the more learned folks on here know if SD actually have any sort of claim?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 15:22 - Apr 9 with 737 viewsZx1988

As an interesting aside, it's interesting to note that Adidas charges Sports Direct £16.55 per shirt for its kits at wholesale rates.

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 15:23 - Apr 9 with 719 viewsKropotkin123

That is one ugly logo.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 17:01 - Apr 9 with 547 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 15:22 - Apr 9 by Zx1988

As an interesting aside, it's interesting to note that Adidas charges Sports Direct £16.55 per shirt for its kits at wholesale rates.

and even at that price, they’ll be making a substantial profit on material, manufacturing and distribution costs I expect. Probably only a couple of quid to make in the Asian sweat shops.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 17:43 - Apr 9 with 503 viewssoupytwist

I would imagine that there aren't too many Newcastle United fans actually spending money in Mike Ashley owned shops, even though he's no longer the massively unpopular owner of the club.

Interesting that they've not stuck with Castore, whose kits always look like stuff they've found on Wish or something similar.
Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 17:53 - Apr 9 with 484 viewsZx1988

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 17:43 - Apr 9 by soupytwist

I would imagine that there aren't too many Newcastle United fans actually spending money in Mike Ashley owned shops, even though he's no longer the massively unpopular owner of the club.

Interesting that they've not stuck with Castore, whose kits always look like stuff they've found on Wish or something similar.

That was pretty much the point made by Newcastle's barrister - that no self-respecting Newcastle fan shops in Sports Direct anyway these days, so there'd hardly be an appreciable impact upon their sales(!).

From what I've heard about Castore, the quality seemed to be very very variable. There were the Wolves shirts that all but fell apart, and the Aston Villa shirts that seemed to have absolutely zero breathability. On the other hand, an MK-supporting friend of mine has always been happy with their kits, and the England Cricket stuff seems good as well.

Given how much their brand has grown in the last few years, maybe they operate the brand under license rather than producing the kits themselves?

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 17:59 - Apr 9 with 463 viewsJ2BLUE

Surely you could make this argument for anything? Not unusual for a product or brand to be limited to one store.

Iceland have loads of agreements. Does that mean someone may never go back to Sainsburys if they can only buy Greggs products in Iceland?

Surely it's tough luck?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 19:40 - Apr 9 with 384 views_clive_baker_

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 17:59 - Apr 9 by J2BLUE

Surely you could make this argument for anything? Not unusual for a product or brand to be limited to one store.

Iceland have loads of agreements. Does that mean someone may never go back to Sainsburys if they can only buy Greggs products in Iceland?

Surely it's tough luck?

Innit. Exclusivity agreements are common in consumer goods, don’t see why this should be any different.
Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 19:42 - Apr 9 with 379 viewsZx1988

Sports Direct missing out - my heart bleeds on 19:40 - Apr 9 by _clive_baker_

Innit. Exclusivity agreements are common in consumer goods, don’t see why this should be any different.

That's what I thought, but assumed that it was more nuanced than that given that it had ended up in court.

More likely some brinksmanship by Sports Direct, with Newcastle United having called their bluff?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024