Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Birmingham 0-1 Town - Half-Time
Saturday, 31st Aug 2013 15:52

Christophe Berra's first goal for Town sees Town leading Birmingham 1-0 at the break at St Andrew's but, in truth, the Blues ought to be even further ahead.

Keeper Dean Gerken made his league debut for Town with Scott Loach, who took the blame for Leeds’ second goal at Portman Road last week, dropping to the bench.

Paul Anderson, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Christophe Berra made their first Championships starts for Town in place of skipper Carlos Edwards, Elliott Hewitt and Jay Tabb, who were also amongst the subs. Frank Nouble replaced Daryl Murphy up front.

Luke Chambers wore the captain’s armband and was at right-back with Berra on the right of Tommy Smith at the heart of the defence. Anderson was on the right of midfield with Tunnicliffe on the left.

Anthony Wordsworth replaced Frederic Veseli on the bench, while Alan Lee, who signed on a non-contract basis earlier in the week, was amongst those to travel with the squad. For Birmingham, there was no place for ex-Blue Darren Ambrose in the 18.

There were few chances in the opening 10 minutes, home keeper Darren Randolph almost dallied on the ball long enough to be closed down by Nouble on the edge of his six-yard box but just managed to clear, then at the other end Luke Hyam blocked a Lee Novak cross from the right.

Birmingham skipper Paul Robinson picked up the game’s first booking for a foul on Paul Anderson in the 16th minute.

On 18 Cresswell sent in a great ball from the left which David McGoldrick headed over, however, with referee Darren Drysdale feeling the Town striker had pushed defender Dan Burn as it came across.

The Blues were getting on top and in the 23rd minute the lively Anderson sent in a dangerous cross from the left which was cleared. Soon after, the summer signing from Bristol City played in Nouble on the right but a defender’s toe just took the ball away from the Blues frontman.

Novak hit a shot on the turn through to Gerken in the 28th minute after good work from Andy Shinnie on the left, then at the other end Cresswell dug out a cross from the left which Anderson headed well over.

Just as the game reached the half hour mark, the Blues went in front. A freekick was taken quickly on the left, the ball eventually reaching Cresswell, who sent in another excellent cross, which Berra, making his first Championship start for Town, nodded home at the far post.

After Birmingham had lost Neal Eardley to injury, Scott Allan taking over, McGoldrick nodded an Anderson corner straight to Randolph with the Blues in charge and the home side looking little threat.

McGoldrick headed another Anderson corner over in the 41st minute with the Blues continuing to have much the better of it.

Birmingham’s best chance of the half came a minute from the scheduled end when Chris Burke crossed from the right and Peter Lovenkrands diverted the ball well wide from eight yards.

A minute later, Town were close to doubling their lead when McGoldrick hit a superb shot on the turn from the edge of the box, but Randolph was equal to it, getting across to his left to tip it on to the post. Anderson was thwarted as he looked to get on to the rebound.

In injury time, Shinnie headed Burke’s cross from the right over for the home side, then McGoldrick had another chance to net Town’s second, chasing a ball over the top into the area. The Blues striker stabbed the ball goalwards but Randolph stopped it with his toe.

The Blues really ought to have had the game won at the break. Once the match had settled down, Mick McCarthy’s much-changed side had been well on top and had had more than enough chances to add to Berra’s goal with Cresswell’s delivery from the left a particular threat.

Town: Gerken, Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell, Anderson, Skuse, Hyam, Tunnicliffe, McGoldrick, Nouble. Subs: Loach, Hewitt, Tabb, Edwards, Wordsworth, Taylor, Murphy.

Birmingham: Randolph, Eardley (Allan 35), Bartley, Burn, Robinson, Burke, Adeyemi, Spector, Shinnie, Novak, Lovenkrands. Subs: Doyle, Mullins, Reilly, Elliott, Ferguson, Allan, Green. Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire). Att: 14,328 (Town: 953).

Get a free £50 matched bet on Ipswich Town v Norwich City (or other matches) by opening a new account at Ladbrokes. Place an initial bet of a minimum of £10 and Ladbrokes will match that bet up to £50. You must enter the promotional code "F50" when placing your first bet. See T&Cs for details.

Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.

algarvefan added 16:32 - Aug 31

Lightningboy added 17:04 - Aug 31
Sounds like we could do with a striker who knows where the goal is...Kevin Phillips?

You need to login in order to post your comments

Blogs 237 bloggers

Ipswich Town Polls

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2017