Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite 'cr*p' players? 13:43 - Jan 19 with 13873 viewsSwailsey

Players who probably weren't very good but you liked them anyway? Players who others seemingly hated, but liked?

I know there's been similar threads like this before, but with all the hatred JD is getting, it's worth remembering that far worse players have been strangely liked, without any reason.

For me?

Colin Healy (still maintain he was a good player, ruined by injury)
Manual Thetis
ALB
Ben Thatcher*
N'Daw

*mainly because I signed him on FM years ago and he was ace for me.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 13:57]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:43 - Jan 19 with 4161 viewstextbackup

Nouble

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:44 - Jan 19 with 4144 viewsjimsymBLUE

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:43 - Jan 19 by textbackup

Nouble

Gus Uhlenbeek, great fun!

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:47 - Jan 19 with 4116 viewsJosebadleg

Jay Tabb

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:47 - Jan 19 with 4120 viewsGeoffSentence

Sorry man, like the thread and am delighted you liked ALB. But he doesn't count as a crap player. Did you know that in the 38 league games he played for us we averaged 1.58 points per game which, if they had been played over the course of 1 season would have seen us challenging for the play-offs. This at a time when our defence was terrible and we were otherwise mainly fighting relegation.

And for that reason I had to, regretfully, dish out a down arrow.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:47 - Jan 19 with 4110 viewsRadlett_blue

Manuel Thetis - absolutely yes. You never knew quite what he was going to do & he always had a big mistake in him, but he also had a lot of ability, unfortunately not quite as much as he thought he had. WBA away was a classic - scores the only goal with an overhead kick, seconds after recovering from a failed attempted overhead kick & gets a silly red card near the end.
Not very keen an any of your other selections, though. But that's probably par for a discourse of this nature.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4100 viewsSwansea_Blue

I remember when ALB came on for his first match and the amount of support he got from the fans was amazing, despite him looking absolutely dreadful!

For me:
Matt Richards & Westie - Joe Royal was a fan of the latter, reckoned he was one of the fittest players he'd worked with (I think). I thought these two linked up very well for us, despite getting pelters off fans and going on to do nothing when they left us.

Sito - mentioned on a thread earlier. Seemed like a nice bloke and people liked him, despite him not doing much.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4097 viewsIpswichIrish

Stephen Hunt
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4089 viewsGeoffSentence

Manu - yes. What a great choice. Loved him. He provided some superb entertainment but was a complete liability in our penalty area.

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4094 viewsSWGF

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:47 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Sorry man, like the thread and am delighted you liked ALB. But he doesn't count as a crap player. Did you know that in the 38 league games he played for us we averaged 1.58 points per game which, if they had been played over the course of 1 season would have seen us challenging for the play-offs. This at a time when our defence was terrible and we were otherwise mainly fighting relegation.

Afternoon Arran.

Up to much nowadays?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4085 viewsDisco_Inferno

Micky Stockwell

Was never the best, terrible throw-ins but 110% effort and blue and white blood in his veins
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:49 - Jan 19 with 4072 viewsSwailsey

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:47 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

I did see you post that on another thread actually, which prompted me to start this one!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:49 - Jan 19 with 4071 viewsSwailsey

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

I remember when ALB came on for his first match and the amount of support he got from the fans was amazing, despite him looking absolutely dreadful!

For me:
Matt Richards & Westie - Joe Royal was a fan of the latter, reckoned he was one of the fittest players he'd worked with (I think). I thought these two linked up very well for us, despite getting pelters off fans and going on to do nothing when they left us.

Sito - mentioned on a thread earlier. Seemed like a nice bloke and people liked him, despite him not doing much.

Sito! Yes!

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:50 - Jan 19 with 4040 viewsRobTheMonk

Priskin - Convinced there's a player somewhere in there.
Shumi - Random unknown foreigner with a cool name.
ALB - I didn't actually think he was as terrible as he's made out to be.
Balkenstein - Cultured left foot but that's about it.
Fallon - No reason. Just liked him!
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:50 - Jan 19 with 4037 viewsGuthrum

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

Stephen Hunt

Was actually pretty decent. Effective, certainly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:51 - Jan 19 with 4007 viewsartsbossbeard

I used to get annoyed about Jermaine Wright and his general lack of central midfield prowess. I doubt he'd make other people's lists but he was top of my list of one.

Anyhoo, I decided one day that all this hatred was affecting me rather than him, so I simply put my head in hands when an error occurs rather than berate individuals.

My resting pulse rate is 51 now.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:52 - Jan 19 with 3977 viewsRadlett_blue

Oh, I also like Ian Redford as he looked a class player during the dismal Duncan era, although he probably wasn't suited to the hurly-burly of English division 2.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:52 - Jan 19 with 3963 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Thetis wasn't crap, loved him big nasty sod, that goal v WBA unforgettable, double take overhead!

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:53 - Jan 19 with 3949 viewsGeoffSentence

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 by SWGF

Afternoon Arran.

Up to much nowadays?

I should probably clarify, for the benefit of those posters who have seen posts like this from me before. I am not ALB, nor his mum, nor do I know ALB or any of his friends and family. However, I have noted that in the 38 games he played for us, we averaged 1.58 points per game which ...................

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:53 - Jan 19 with 3944 viewsSwansea_Blue

The little Canadian fella with the HUGE arris.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:53 - Jan 19 with 3925 viewsGlasgowBlue

I was thinking about Colin Healy earlier. H e put that ball through for Priskin's goal against Arsenal.

Healy would be an improvement on what we have in the middle of the park at the moment.

Recently it would be:
Gary Roberts
Stern John
Leadbetter (Slated by 90% of posters on here)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:55 - Jan 19 with 3874 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:53 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

I was thinking about Colin Healy earlier. H e put that ball through for Priskin's goal against Arsenal.

Healy would be an improvement on what we have in the middle of the park at the moment.

Recently it would be:
Gary Roberts
Stern John

Leadboots was good though - the 90% are daft. He stood out then and would be streets ahead of who we've got now.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:56 - Jan 19 with 3867 viewsSWGF

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:53 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

I should probably clarify, for the benefit of those posters who have seen posts like this from me before. I am not ALB, nor his mum, nor do I know ALB or any of his friends and family. However, I have noted that in the 38 games he played for us, we averaged 1.58 points per game which ...................

You'd be better off putting something akin to that in your signature thingy. Save posting it every time.

And ALB's career really did take off after he left us which further backs up your opinion...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:56 - Jan 19 with 3860 viewsSwailsey

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:53 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

Recently it would be:
Gary Roberts
Stern John

I actually really liked Healy (again, an old version of FM may have something to do with it), but once he got a run in the team he was very effective.

John and Fallon received a lot of unfair stick I think, they were good at what they did.

I'll add N'Daw to this list as well.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:56 - Jan 19 with 3853 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:51 - Jan 19 by artsbossbeard

I used to get annoyed about Jermaine Wright and his general lack of central midfield prowess. I doubt he'd make other people's lists but he was top of my list of one.

Anyhoo, I decided one day that all this hatred was affecting me rather than him, so I simply put my head in hands when an error occurs rather than berate individuals.

My resting pulse rate is 51 now.

I was a fan of Jamma. He was cultured and could pick a pass, but all too often flattered to deceive.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:57 - Jan 19 with 3843 viewsGlasgowBlue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:50 - Jan 19 by RobTheMonk

Priskin - Convinced there's a player somewhere in there.
Shumi - Random unknown foreigner with a cool name.
ALB - I didn't actually think he was as terrible as he's made out to be.
Balkenstein - Cultured left foot but that's about it.
Fallon - No reason. Just liked him!

Priskin was so badly managed by both Keane and Jewell that by the end he had totally given up.

I recall him getting seven consecutive man of the match awards under Keane and the whole Portman Road singing "you don't know what you're doing" when Keane took him off in one game.

Now he is remembered as an awful player. Probably doesn't help that he was bought with the Rhodes money.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024