Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tough day today 18:08 - May 23 with 1307 viewsMullet

Turned out of my drive around 6:15am to hear radio 4 talking about the incident at Manchester last night. After about 5 minutes the truth unravelling was all pretty surreal.

I took a different turning as I drive right past the arena every morning, without even thinking of the road closures etc. it just seemed morbid to go near the place unnecessarily. Got to work and only two people were in due to all the closures to find that one, then another and another of our kids had said they were going to be there at the concert. Then a parent or two started to ring in to excuse their child as they witnessed it either accompanied or not and you realise what the city is dealing with.

We're still waiting for confirmation everyone is safe and well at least physically, but the mental shock when those pupils will return is something I can't even begin to imagine. There was a few arguably inappropriate conversations and sentiments, a raft of difficult questions, but on the whole the kids were just shaken. Friends of friends, other colleagues and the like were all being accounted for throughout the day too which set off mixed emotions of relief and more gossip.

Someone even took the opportunity to bully a child using the incident in the most sickening way via the anonymity of social media to reduce them to floods of tears before 8am. There are no words for stuff like that.

Hearing the bloke was from Manchester born and bred just baffles me as much as the decision to target little kids and teenagers. I've lived in the area he did, I taught around there too and know it well.

Trying to explain it all to the students or clarify the news and media as well as dealing with a scare or two via social media wasn't the best. Someone rehashed a story over a year old of an incident near our place, linking it to last night which was unhelpful.

Driving home to hear the response of the NHS, the paramedics and the police was pretty comforting let alone admirable. It really hits home how important they are to every community. There's a vigil about to start in the centre and I think walking and driving around heads were a little bowed today.

I didn't hear one genuinely hateful comment though from kids or adults. Defiance and confusion but it's testament to the British mindset I reckon that the shock, the sadness and grief was something that brought out a bit more understanding eventually.

Makes you take stock and grateful you're not directly involved, but the waiting for some good news tomorrow and the inevitable wake of this isn't ever going to be fun.

Hopefully no one on here was involved or affected too badly. The love and support I've seen since leaving off for those who were, is the silver lining.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Tough day today on 18:25 - May 23 with 1245 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hope none of your students are involved Mullet

All the best

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Tough day today on 19:12 - May 23 with 1171 viewsMullet

Tough day today on 18:25 - May 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Hope none of your students are involved Mullet

All the best

Thanks Rommers.

A few have, but thankfully so far the ones that were we know are safe. I just hope they didn't see or experience too much of it.

The worry is the amount of empty seats and no code next to the name on the register to say where that child is or why they're not in school.

Tough day today on 19:27 - May 23 with 1130 viewsCoastalblue

I too had R4 on in the car today, most of the day actually as I was driving up North. The heart warming standout thing was the reaction of people around the area as it happened, and the reactions of hotels and cab firms, people forgetting financial gain just seeing how they can help.

It's strength like that in most of the population of all backgrounds and creed that means the terrorists will never win. Being a Londoner these days I witnessed similar there recently and whilst it's a rare feeling these days it does actually make you feel proud of this country for a period.

I really hope that any of your kids that were there are both OK and not too affected by it longer term.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Tough day today on 20:51 - May 23 with 1037 viewsMullet

Tough day today on 19:27 - May 23 by Coastalblue

I too had R4 on in the car today, most of the day actually as I was driving up North. The heart warming standout thing was the reaction of people around the area as it happened, and the reactions of hotels and cab firms, people forgetting financial gain just seeing how they can help.

It's strength like that in most of the population of all backgrounds and creed that means the terrorists will never win. Being a Londoner these days I witnessed similar there recently and whilst it's a rare feeling these days it does actually make you feel proud of this country for a period.

I really hope that any of your kids that were there are both OK and not too affected by it longer term.

I've been bullishly saying that we'd have heard by now, god forbid but I'm not even sure I believe myself. It seems less and less likely as the hours pass that one of ours was hurt I guess.

The reaction has been tremendous and the need to point out that it was Muslims who helped is itself sad. Likewise the Sikh community who largely share the road directly north from the arena with a large Muslim population, were out in force in the last few hours feeding and helping people as their faith expects.

I've got friends at various hospitals and in the services so I'm guessing many have/are completing extra shifts and are part of what's been a sobering reaction.

I notice a few ghouls are out to cash in on the potential for hate with their tweets and reports from the scene in some unofficial capacity. Hopefully the attention they hoped for isn't forthcoming. They deserve to be ignored.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024