Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? 07:45 - Jan 29 with 4288 viewsTLA

Whilst I like the fact that Mick has identified a player he feels he needs, I just can't see why Preston would sell him at this point.

They have a shot at the playoffs and he's having his best month of the season, with 4 or 5 goals and good performances. Even if we go to £3m, surely they won't have time to get a better replacement.

Given that they're not far off the playoffs, surely it would be worse than our timing of selling Murphy - it would be more like us having sold him at the end of one of the last two January windows.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 11:14 - Jan 29 with 1227 viewsGarv

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:00 - Jan 29 by Superfrans

Yes. On the face of it, using up all the £3m for a much less established player, would seem odd - but he has 7 years on Murphy, is about to come into his peak years and (if he is really decent quality) will improve over the next five years.

As MEReborn says above, it's a big risk for a player who has not consistently scored goals. That said, he looked to me like a player who will bring others into the play, not just a goal scorer.

No neck though....

Maybe I'm not remebering well enough, but who was the last striker we bought from the same level as us who was more or less in his 'prime' AND in form?

Chopra is the closest I'd say, and he'd had a stop start season before joining us.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 11:32 - Jan 29 with 1196 viewsMullet

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 11:14 - Jan 29 by Garv

Maybe I'm not remebering well enough, but who was the last striker we bought from the same level as us who was more or less in his 'prime' AND in form?

Chopra is the closest I'd say, and he'd had a stop start season before joining us.

McGoldrick, given that Murphy was signed permanently from a club above us.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 11:33 - Jan 29 with 1187 viewsElderGrizzly

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 11:32 - Jan 29 by Mullet

McG was a free reject though, so he's sh!t... 🙄
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 12:58 - Jan 29 with 1131 viewsGarv

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 11:32 - Jan 29 by Mullet

Was McGoldrick in form??

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 13:03 - Jan 29 with 1124 viewsTLA

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 12:58 - Jan 29 by Garv

Was McGoldrick in form??

I think he'd scored loads for Coventry - something like 15 in 25 (or maybe better) so he probably was in form.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 14:04 - Jan 29 with 1087 viewstractorboy1978

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:45 - Jan 29 by TLA

I think your imponderable was my point in starting the thread - it seems a strange time for them to sell with nobody lined up as a replacement, given their current good place to challenge for the playoffs.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if we signed Hugill for £2.5m and they got someone like Matty Taylor for 1/5 of that. Maybe it's not a problem if Hugill fits our style - the outlay in that context suggests MM being in post beyond this season. I can live with that but it might not be popular with some.

It looks like a few interesting days ahead...

The lack of goals is something that concerns me especially when we don't score anywhere near enough goals anyway elsehwere. I appreciate Murphy had a freakish season but it doesn't seem that he's a goalscorer. Spending £2m would be a huge thing for us given our recent history in the market. You have to trust MM I suppose but it's not a signing that would fill me with optimism whereas someone like Bogle would.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 14:28 - Jan 29 with 1055 viewsTLA

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 14:04 - Jan 29 by tractorboy1978

The lack of goals is something that concerns me especially when we don't score anywhere near enough goals anyway elsehwere. I appreciate Murphy had a freakish season but it doesn't seem that he's a goalscorer. Spending £2m would be a huge thing for us given our recent history in the market. You have to trust MM I suppose but it's not a signing that would fill me with optimism whereas someone like Bogle would.

Murphy always played a bigger role than just scoring but we'd have been miles off the playoffs without his goals.

A player who occupies the opposing defence is good and if he scored 10-12 goals a season (like Murphy in other seasons), that would work with loads coming from elsewhere. That would mean needing to find a Fraser and Lawrence in the same season to get close to the top 6.

Bogle would be interesting - not as physical, a better finisher but not proven at this level.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 14:47 - Jan 29 with 1039 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 14:28 - Jan 29 by TLA

Murphy always played a bigger role than just scoring but we'd have been miles off the playoffs without his goals.

A player who occupies the opposing defence is good and if he scored 10-12 goals a season (like Murphy in other seasons), that would work with loads coming from elsewhere. That would mean needing to find a Fraser and Lawrence in the same season to get close to the top 6.

Bogle would be interesting - not as physical, a better finisher but not proven at this level.

Not sure about Bogle, but does he make his own goals, or score chances made by others? We already have players like Sears and Pittman who can do the latter. Sears is low in confidence, but I'd have no doubt he'd convert his fair share if we were making opportunities in the 12 yard box, it's when he's one on one with the keeper, running in that he has trouble, when he has time to think...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 15:29 - Jan 29 with 1011 viewsGarv

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 13:03 - Jan 29 by TLA

I think he'd scored loads for Coventry - something like 15 in 25 (or maybe better) so he probably was in form.

Oh good point. Technically he still doesn't count as I said 'at our level'. Hehe.

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 15:34 - Jan 29 with 998 viewsITFCBlues

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:28 - Jan 29 by ElderGrizzly

When McG is fit, i'd suggest Sears will be a sub anyway?

McG = massively overrated

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 15:36 - Jan 29 with 990 viewsGarv

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 14:47 - Jan 29 by Superfrans

Not sure about Bogle, but does he make his own goals, or score chances made by others? We already have players like Sears and Pittman who can do the latter. Sears is low in confidence, but I'd have no doubt he'd convert his fair share if we were making opportunities in the 12 yard box, it's when he's one on one with the keeper, running in that he has trouble, when he has time to think...

That's what he used to be best at.

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 15:44 - Jan 29 with 978 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 15:36 - Jan 29 by Garv

That's what he used to be best at.

Damaged by lack of confidence.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024