Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
transfers 10:21 - Feb 9 with 1691 viewsbluelady

just thinking out loud to myself.. could it be that bringing in hungry players who have clearly had the talent but not quite made it.. who have something to prove is a better option than paying over inflated prices for Strikers who due to their sudden price tag come with an over inflated ego?? I am thinking mainly about Huw who clearly is a talented lad who for some reason it simply hasn't worked out for? Samuels could well be the same (I haven't seen him play yet) Hugill is never worth 2 plus million in my opinion so perhaps we dodged a bullet?

transfers on 11:10 - Feb 9 with 1597 viewsParsley

I think it depends from player to player. Sure, don't spend £2m on Hugill if they only value him at about £1m, but is there really no player that they could sign near their valuation? I agree that bringing players in on free transfers in the summer and bringing through players from the academy is a cheap way of adding players who are keen to impress but am starting to think that can only get you so far. Investing in the right players for key positions in the squad is important, and that's the thing, it's an investment. Signing a young striker for a decent fee doesn't mean that money is gone if he'll be worth double that in a couple of years time with the right coaching. Taking Hugill as an example, if they think that he could develop into a striker in the mould of Daryl Murphy and can get him scoring goals then in a couple of seasons he could be worth way more than £2m.
transfers on 11:24 - Feb 9 with 1569 viewsdirtyboy

There's a lot to be said about having half a dozen fresh faces in the squad.

If the 'regulars' feel their place is genuinely under threat, they'll simply have to raise their performance levels. The new lads from the lower leagues will be itching to prove that they are good enough at this level (assuming they have the right mindset) and that is an all round good situation. The small squad we had was fine when everyone was fit (the quality) but lose that, then it falls away very quickly across all facets of the club.

Only time will tell how well the new faces fit in and how our summer is likely to pan out.
transfers on 16:32 - Feb 9 with 1455 viewsbluelady

transfers on 11:10 - Feb 9 by Parsley

I think it depends from player to player. Sure, don't spend £2m on Hugill if they only value him at about £1m, but is there really no player that they could sign near their valuation? I agree that bringing players in on free transfers in the summer and bringing through players from the academy is a cheap way of adding players who are keen to impress but am starting to think that can only get you so far. Investing in the right players for key positions in the squad is important, and that's the thing, it's an investment. Signing a young striker for a decent fee doesn't mean that money is gone if he'll be worth double that in a couple of years time with the right coaching. Taking Hugill as an example, if they think that he could develop into a striker in the mould of Daryl Murphy and can get him scoring goals then in a couple of seasons he could be worth way more than £2m.

yes agreed I do think we needed a Murphy replacement, I am not convinced Hugill was it, however he wasn't the only striker on the market!

lets see how the season concludes.. it needs to be a vast improvement or season tickets will be 10k!
transfers on 16:36 - Feb 9 with 1443 viewsKeno

I agree in principle but worry that hungry players will run out of energy easily and tire early in the game

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

transfers on 19:57 - Feb 9 with 1351 viewsstrikalite

Not quite made it for a reason you could argue though...

But I do agree that paying big money(for us!)can easily backfire for a few reasons, Priskin being an example of that...

But I do think Hugill was the man for us, an Ian Marshall type, pity we missed out..
transfers on 20:02 - Feb 9 with 1335 viewsoldbluestu

transfers on 11:10 - Feb 9 by Parsley

You need to understand a lot of fans simply want the club to buy a player for £3m irrelevant if they're any good. It's important for school playground bragging
transfers on 20:44 - Feb 9 with 1279 viewsmanchego

What bothers me is the loan system.
We get Lawrence (for instance) who is clearly brilliant, for one season, and camouflages deep down problems we have.
He will go in the summer and we just have to hope we get someone as good as him ?
transfers on 22:49 - Feb 9 with 1180 viewsBent_double

transfers on 19:57 - Feb 9 by strikalite

Not quite made it for a reason you could argue though...

But I do agree that paying big money(for us!)can easily backfire for a few reasons, Priskin being an example of that...

But I do think Hugill was the man for us, an Ian Marshall type, pity we missed out..

What happened with Hugill, did he sign a new contract at PNE or will he be available in the summer, anyone know?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

transfers on 23:04 - Feb 9 with 1163 viewsArnieM

Suspect any of these new loanees we have will leave in.the summer and we won't be signing any of them because thd Club will be in disarray as Evans/ MM make their minds up about whether to stay or go.

We'll essentially miss the boat again with some good players we currently have in through the door.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

transfers on 07:27 - Feb 10 with 1050 viewsBenters

Yeah and like Ian Milne said we could have paid £10m for Jordan Rhodes,and in his first game he could have got injured.

#believe

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

transfers on 08:30 - Feb 10 with 1007 viewschristiand

Are we not getting a little over excited from one game against Reading and an U23 game against Watford? Encouraging yes, but lets see this over a series of matches. It would be nice if the club did showed a little ambition and intent just once in a while to actually get a player they are meant to be targeting? I'm not talking ridiculous sums of money, we just have a general reluctance to spend any serious money. Can you actually imagine the club parting with £10m? It would never happen, the fact they don't want to spend over a £1m tells you that. If we are wanting to get to that next level, we will have to invest in some quality at some point, but there is a general reluctance to do it and hope that freebies and loans will do the job - it's always on the cheap! Look at the sides in the top 7 in the Championship there has been serious investment made. We don't spend any serious money on transfers and are one of the poorest percentile payers on wages in the league, how is that going to get us in the top 6 at any point soon?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

transfers on 08:32 - Feb 10 with 995 viewsBenters

transfers on 08:30 - Feb 10 by christiand

Are we not getting a little over excited from one game against Reading and an U23 game against Watford? Encouraging yes, but lets see this over a series of matches. It would be nice if the club did showed a little ambition and intent just once in a while to actually get a player they are meant to be targeting? I'm not talking ridiculous sums of money, we just have a general reluctance to spend any serious money. Can you actually imagine the club parting with £10m? It would never happen, the fact they don't want to spend over a £1m tells you that. If we are wanting to get to that next level, we will have to invest in some quality at some point, but there is a general reluctance to do it and hope that freebies and loans will do the job - it's always on the cheap! Look at the sides in the top 7 in the Championship there has been serious investment made. We don't spend any serious money on transfers and are one of the poorest percentile payers on wages in the league, how is that going to get us in the top 6 at any point soon?

Its not unless its a fluke like 2015.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

transfers on 09:09 - Feb 10 with 974 viewsSwansea_Blue

If I thought out loud I'd probably get arrested. But there's a lot to be said for our approach of trying to pick up players under the radar, either those from the lower leagues or players who have gone off the boil for whatever reason but have a good pedigree. The upside is you can unearth quality cheaply, the downside is you're likely to have as many or more 'misses' as you are 'hits'.

Huws is very much a talented lad - has a very good pedigree. I'm still struggling to work out why it hasn't worked out for him a Cardiff.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

transfers on 09:22 - Feb 10 with 941 viewsSuperfrans

There is something to be said for this strategy. For me, I'm less concerned about not bringing in a big name striker, more concerned about:
1. the lack of preparation/planning - we should have brought someone in well before Murphy wanted to leave (we knew he was a key player and getting older) and should have prepared ourselves between August and January with a list of options, so we weren't scrabbling around.
2. should never have let our captain get into the position he was/is, wanting a new deal but having nothing offered - leaving him looking around for the next best option. We should then have aimed to sort it out immediately, ideally before the end of Feb.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

transfers on 09:28 - Feb 10 with 928 viewschristiand

transfers on 09:22 - Feb 10 by Superfrans

There is something to be said for this strategy. For me, I'm less concerned about not bringing in a big name striker, more concerned about:
1. the lack of preparation/planning - we should have brought someone in well before Murphy wanted to leave (we knew he was a key player and getting older) and should have prepared ourselves between August and January with a list of options, so we weren't scrabbling around.
2. should never have let our captain get into the position he was/is, wanting a new deal but having nothing offered - leaving him looking around for the next best option. We should then have aimed to sort it out immediately, ideally before the end of Feb.

That's one of many things I find frustrating with our club's current situation we are always a step behind with most things that we do, particularly off the pitch.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

transfers on 10:11 - Feb 10 with 890 viewsbluelady

transfers on 09:28 - Feb 10 by christiand

That's one of many things I find frustrating with our club's current situation we are always a step behind with most things that we do, particularly off the pitch.

Totally agree with both these views... I still can't get my heed around the Murphy thing... with Chambers I am assuming the fact a new manager in the summer is very likely and the board don't want to make any decisions before then (we all know MM would sign Chambers now if he could)... the very least we could do is agree to the additional year now to give him at least some stability.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024