Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan 15:49 - Feb 28 with 6847 viewsDennyx4

Had an interesting conversation with a father of an ITFC academy player.

Apparently, he had received a call from Norwich City in the last month asking for his son to join their Academy. When he stated that his son was playing for Ipswich Academy. He was told by the "Scout" from Norwich, that they knew that and are allowed to approach Ipswich Academy players as they are registered category 1 and it offers better facilities for the young players to learn the game - thus this is supported by the FA.

He was also told that they regularly watch the Ipswich Academy teams to see who they wished to approach. If true, and I have no reason to doubt it, will make keeping our best youngsters almost impossible. As it ,must be easier to watch other teams academies, rather than doing the leg work at Schools or Sunday Mornings.

The Norwich Academy training session was held at Whitton - so also no need to travel to Norwich either.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:25 - Feb 28 with 2481 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:15 - Feb 28 by allezlesbleus

How much compensation did we receive for Charlie Brown?

Think it was reported as £750k so not insignificant.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:37 - Feb 28 with 2461 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:25 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

Wasn't confirmed as of a couple of weeks back but it'll be that sort of figure.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:39 - Feb 28 with 2456 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:37 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

Wasn't confirmed as of a couple of weeks back but it'll be that sort of figure.

Thought Milne stated in one of his interviews, but maybe wrong.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:40 - Feb 28 with 2451 viewsallezlesbleus

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:25 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

A decent amount of money.......but also a shame in a way that we couldn't keep him for a few more years.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 22:27 - Feb 28 with 2346 viewsNorthstandoldie

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:15 - Feb 28 by allezlesbleus

How much compensation did we receive for Charlie Brown?

Ok I'll bite... we got peanuts for him.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 23:04 - Feb 28 with 2302 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:39 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

Thought Milne stated in one of his interviews, but maybe wrong.

Not one on Life's a Pitch but I may have missed it if he mentioned it elsewhere. I did ask after Kieron mentioned it and it hadn't been confirmed.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 23:53 - Feb 28 with 2262 viewsDublinBlue84

Norwich are also advertising trials and suchlike in adverts distributed to Suffolk Primary Schools.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 04:30 - Mar 1 with 2226 viewsharlingblue

If you coach a young player and when watched is deemed good enough to be part of any clubs Academy, then you have earned your corn, and should alert your favoured club of his progress.
The fact that Norwich City should hold training sessions at Whitton on one side of our county and Brantham on the other is a worry, but if the Ipswich scouting system then earns their corn, they can encourage a promising youngster to come to club with less money but a better chance for a first team squad place?
Login to get fewer ads

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 06:45 - Mar 1 with 2203 viewsonceablue

How old is his son?
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 07:59 - Mar 1 with 2163 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 06:45 - Mar 1 by onceablue

How old is his son?

Not 100% sure of age, but is at Primary School so certainly under 11
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 08:13 - Mar 1 with 2145 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 23:04 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

Not one on Life's a Pitch but I may have missed it if he mentioned it elsewhere. I did ask after Kieron mentioned it and it hadn't been confirmed.

Aah, that's probably where I saw it - Kieron Dyer's interview stated we got £750k for Charlie Brown in January.

I assume Kieron would have a reasonable knowledge to have mentioned a specific figure?
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 09:20 - Mar 1 with 2121 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 08:13 - Mar 1 by Dennyx4

Aah, that's probably where I saw it - Kieron Dyer's interview stated we got £750k for Charlie Brown in January.

I assume Kieron would have a reasonable knowledge to have mentioned a specific figure?

I think there was an agreement that the move would take place subject to a tribunal on the basis that we'd get a minimum of £750,000/£650,000 (I've heard both figures). I will check whether it was finally confirmed.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:06 - Mar 1 with 2075 viewsClausThomsen

It's just a bit demented that there's a market going on involving young boys, and the authorities have allowed poaching of young boys if the club has paid enough money to be category poach.

The US way of doing it with their sports is far more competitive and fair on the young players and the teams involved, not to mention a lot less creepy.

When did this "category" nonsense come about? And what happened to Alex Henshall?
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:51 - Mar 1 with 2037 viewsSuperfrans

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:02 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

That is technically true, although in reality it also happens between Cat One clubs and is something which has always happened. Was told a - perhaps apocryphal - story a few years back that Town didn't know an academy player had moved on until they received a cheque from another club as compensation.

There is a set formula for compensation for players who haven't signed scholarships. If they have then the clubs agree a figure or it goes to a tribunal, as per the Charlie Brown move.

At the fans do in London a few weeks back, Lee O'Neill and Alan Lee made a big thing of the rule about cat 1 academies not being able to pouch from other cat 1 academies. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it does seem that it is a big threat to cat 2 academies and which cat 1s are mostly protected from.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:51 - Mar 1 with 2036 viewsitfcjoe

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:06 - Mar 1 by ClausThomsen

It's just a bit demented that there's a market going on involving young boys, and the authorities have allowed poaching of young boys if the club has paid enough money to be category poach.

The US way of doing it with their sports is far more competitive and fair on the young players and the teams involved, not to mention a lot less creepy.

When did this "category" nonsense come about? And what happened to Alex Henshall?

Development shouldn't be in the clubs hands at young ages, until 16 there should be development centres.

Henshall was on the bench for |Braintree last week

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:57 - Mar 1 with 2026 viewsSuperfrans

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:14 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

There are more 'transfers' between Cat 1 clubs than there is Cat 2 to Cat 1.

Realistically we aren't losing boys to Norwich. There training centres set up all around the county are just money making exercises and any player deemed good enough to make leap from Norwich training sessions in Ipswich will be either on Ipswich's radar, or will become on it.

Putting any club loyalties aside - if you had a son who was offered opportunity to go to Cat 1 academy which is over an hour away and have to train 2x a week and you had a Cat 2 one on your doorstep like the boys in Whitton do then you'd make a phonecall.

The only way we lose boys are those that are not good enough and not pushed on enough, geographically inconvenient or a big club coming and offering 14-16 year olds and their families eye watering amounts. Charlie brown is on a reported (very good source) £4k a week for 3 years at Chelsea. He'd have been on £100 a week at Ipswich through his scholarship.

AS I've just posted to Phil, Lee O'Neill and Alan Lee were very clear about the threats of losing boys because of the rule that cat 1 can't poach from cat 1. It's one thing to have transfers, but poaching kids seems a potential problem (or maybe just a fear of cat 2 academies?).

£4k a week for a kid of that age is immoral imho.

I have a friend whose son is almost 17 and on the books at West Ham. He's highly rated and I doubt very much that he is on a quarter of that, but his parents are very sound . They have reported back that certain parents just can't wait until they can get their first Ferrari. Unfortunately, money breeds greed...

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:59 - Mar 1 with 2022 viewsSuperfrans

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:51 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

Development shouldn't be in the clubs hands at young ages, until 16 there should be development centres.

Henshall was on the bench for |Braintree last week

On the bench for Braintree...? Wow, that shows how easily a young kid who thinks he has made it can go so easily awry... V sad.

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 13:03 - Mar 1 with 1980 viewssoupytwist

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 11:59 - Mar 1 by Superfrans

On the bench for Braintree...? Wow, that shows how easily a young kid who thinks he has made it can go so easily awry... V sad.

It also shows how far a period at top club's academy can take you.

He is in effect still trading on the fact that he was with Man City's youth set up. This is his third contract at a level below Man City's. If he'd stayed at Swindon (where he was until 16) and not made it there he would probably have dropped straight into the kind of levels Mings was playing at before he came here.

No surprise that when a big club comes along it's an easy decision to go.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 09:37 - Mar 10 with 1811 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 08:13 - Mar 1 by Dennyx4

I checked this out and it has been confirmed at around that figure.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 09:43 - Mar 10 with 1793 viewstaximan

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 09:37 - Mar 10 by PhilTWTD

I checked this out and it has been confirmed at around that figure.

presumably that money goes towards the running of the academy, so in effect, the youth side of the club is self funding, all good news for evans and his (lack of) investment strategy
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 10:01 - Mar 10 with 1778 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 09:43 - Mar 10 by taximan

presumably that money goes towards the running of the academy, so in effect, the youth side of the club is self funding, all good news for evans and his (lack of) investment strategy

I think the academy is far from self-funding. The Brown compensation will just about cover the cost of the 3G pitch, which was required to maintain Cat Two status.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024