Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. 14:14 - May 8 with 1386 viewsbluevein

How many Ipswich players went on to have a long run in the 1st Team. Here is Southampton's team:

1 Andrew McNeil
2 Craig Richards
3 Sebastian Wallis-Taylor
4 David McGoldrick
5 Sean Rudd
6 Tim Sparv
7 Lloyd James
8 Curran
9 Theo Walcott
10 Leon Best
11 Nathan Dyer
Sub Adam Lallana
Sub Feliciano Condesso
Sub Kyle Critchell
Sub Gareth Bale

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:17 - May 8 with 1364 viewshoppy

Bet they wish they'd had a better bench too.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:20 - May 8 with 1355 viewsIllinoisblue

there is a danger of taking one extreme example - Southampton - and comparing us against that to have a pop. We have no more or no less "given up on youth" than any other club.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:20 - May 8 with 1350 viewsGlasgowBlue

I wonder what happened to Leon Best?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:21 - May 8 with 1339 viewshype313

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:17 - May 8 by hoppy

Bet they wish they'd had a better bench too.

Leon Best keeping Bale out of the starting eleven

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:22 - May 8 with 1332 viewshoppy

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:20 - May 8 by GlasgowBlue

I wonder what happened to Leon Best?

I would imagine he was picked up by one of the Premier League giants and then on to somewhere like Real Madrid, with his work-rate and commendable attitude to becoming the best that he could be...

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:23 - May 8 with 1322 viewsGlasgowBlue

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:21 - May 8 by hype313

David McGoldrick fit for the final.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:24 - May 8 with 1320 viewshoppy

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:21 - May 8 by hype313

To be fair, he was more a full back then, wasn't he? Wasn't until he was at Spurs he was moved to a more forward position.

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:35 - May 8 with 1279 viewsxrayspecs

Very few youths make the transition from junior to professional sport.

I coach cricket and am familiar with one of the county sets up. Up until the age of 14, they have approx 120 boys in each year group (U10, U11, U12, U13 and U14) of their development programme. Their own definition of a successful youth development programme is for one player in that age group to secure a professional contract and play for the first XI.

If you look at the 1970s Town Youth Cup winning team, very few went on to make it a professional level.
Login to get fewer ads

FA Youth Cup 2005 - We gave up on Youth years ago. on 14:47 - May 8 with 1228 viewsconnorscontract

I don't think your post title is justified by the reality, at all. Joe Royle was the manager at the time and gave two young keepers, Supple who kept in the Final, and Lewis Price every opportunity.

Chris Casement was given a chance. Aiden Collins had knee problems. Billy Clarke had a run. Danny Haynes was given a good go. Owen Garvan launched his career with us.

Around the same time former Youth players Ian Westlake and Matt Richards were given extended runs. Matt Bloomfield and Scott Barron may feel harder done by. Liam Trotter established himself as a Championship/League One player. Dean Bowditch had a career a division down.

I rated Krause out of that group and was surprised he didn't make it. Cathal Lordan was very unlucky with injuries, I think. Ed Upson did ok in lower leagues.

This is all off the top of my head, there are probably others I've missed.

I think other posters in the thread are right. Southampton's squad that year was exceptional. It's not like we threw away loads of young players who then went on to great things.
[Post edited 8 May 2017 15:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024