Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clear that McCarthy is staying 11:47 - May 10 with 4555 viewslegal_blue

He's making the decisions on the squad departures, presumably on the basis of future acquisitions. He couldn't do either without Marcus Evans' blessing.

The only questions are: 1) are we in for a repeat of meagre additions, with one or two star loanees from the PL; or 2) is Evans going to give McCarthy the funds to truly support a promotion push?

We know Evans has just made a packet from selling some of his media interests. We also know that he could afford to fund the club beyond the £6m or so p.a. he puts in.

Only a fool repeats the same actions, hoping for a different result, yet that's been Evans' approach for years now.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:51 - May 10 with 3534 viewsDoobDude

This summer, every time someone mention "£6m or so", I will point them towards the latest accounts where it shows he has funded the club half a million pounds over the past 2 seasons.

The rest was funded by Cresswell, Mings and Murphy.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:53 - May 10 with 3523 viewsElderGrizzly

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:51 - May 10 by DoobDude

This summer, every time someone mention "£6m or so", I will point them towards the latest accounts where it shows he has funded the club half a million pounds over the past 2 seasons.

And then someone will point you to the £60m+ he's put in before that....

He needs to increase investment or go. It's just finding the new owner who can fund us at the top level of this division, which is losing £20m+ a year
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:53 - May 10 with 3509 viewslegal_blue

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:51 - May 10 by DoobDude

Have you seen the accounts themselves? Are you basing that on the net contribution, e.g. he's making up for the shortfall, where the sales don't cover expenses?

And if so, assuming we are not going to be selling anyone in the summer, or at least, we're unlikely to receive anything substantive for our current crop, what the shortfall is likely to be?

Thanks.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:58 - May 10 with 3469 viewsitfcjoe

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:53 - May 10 by ElderGrizzly

He needs to increase investment or go. It's just finding the new owner who can fund us at the top level of this division, which is losing £20m+ a year

I think it's pretty fair to split Evans reign up to pre-FFP and post-FFP, or in reality pre-Mick and post-Mick

Since Mick was appointed he has put in very little in comparative terms to himself before and our rivals.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:58 - May 10 with 3464 viewsDoobDude

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:53 - May 10 by legal_blue

Have you seen the accounts themselves? Are you basing that on the net contribution, e.g. he's making up for the shortfall, where the sales don't cover expenses?

And if so, assuming we are not going to be selling anyone in the summer, or at least, we're unlikely to receive anything substantive for our current crop, what the shortfall is likely to be?

Thanks.

It's money transferred to ITFC from his other businesses.

To quote Swiss Ramble ...

"That was certainly true in the past, but the cash flow statement shows that only around £400,000 of additional loans were received by the club in each of the last two seasons (net £250,000 after loan repayments), as the difference was largely compensated by player sales. "

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:00 - May 10 with 3442 viewsElderGrizzly

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:58 - May 10 by itfcjoe

I think it's pretty fair to split Evans reign up to pre-FFP and post-FFP, or in reality pre-Mick and post-Mick

Since Mick was appointed he has put in very little in comparative terms to himself before and our rivals.

I agree. Just DD's focus on 2 seasons is a little pointless.

And i agree, he has underfunded us but lookimg at what went before you can see why he has retreated a bit.

All been done to death though of course and i'm rather hoping the 'scare' of this season will wake up Evans a bit
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:01 - May 10 with 3433 viewsitfcjoe

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:00 - May 10 by ElderGrizzly

And i agree, he has underfunded us but lookimg at what went before you can see why he has retreated a bit.

All been done to death though of course and i'm rather hoping the 'scare' of this season will wake up Evans a bit

Even if it is last 5 it isn't that different is it? Or the 4 we have accounts for....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:01 - May 10 with 3427 viewswitchdoctor

yes it does seem he is....despite saying in the past that if he felt he wasn't wanted he'd sling his hook....head in sand or what?
Login to get fewer ads

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:02 - May 10 with 3420 viewslegal_blue

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:00 - May 10 by ElderGrizzly

Isn't the reality that we have no-one to sell to generate any particular fee this summer, so the shortfall, or investment needed just to keep us where we are, is going to be all the greater?

Doesn't bode well at all.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:08 - May 10 with 3377 viewschicoazul

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:02 - May 10 by legal_blue

Isn't the reality that we have no-one to sell to generate any particular fee this summer, so the shortfall, or investment needed just to keep us where we are, is going to be all the greater?

Doesn't bode well at all.

Bialkowski, if he goes, will be £2m at least. More if the Chinese madmen buy him. If we have to sell anyone i'd like it to be him as Gerken is more or less just as good.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:08 - May 10 with 3376 viewsElderGrizzly

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:01 - May 10 by itfcjoe

Even if it is last 5 it isn't that different is it? Or the 4 we have accounts for....

We lost £6.6m last year (up to end of June 2016), but made a profit of £5.4m the 2014/15 season as both Mings and Cresswell money was counted in that year (14/15)

Last 5 years:
11/12 - lost £15.96m
12/13 - lost £9.7m
13/14 - lost £7.9m
14/15 - profit of £5.4m after player sales of £11m, so without them another £6m loss
15/16 - loss of £6.6m
[Post edited 10 May 2017 12:09]
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:15 - May 10 with 3297 viewsPhilTWTD

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 11:53 - May 10 by ElderGrizzly

For the sake of clarity also worth pointing out that the £1.4m written off by ME in 2014/15 - basically to comply with FFP - has been ignored, even if the overall point that player sales have covered a great part of the annual shortfall over the last couple of seasons is correct.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:20 - May 10 with 3233 viewsElderGrizzly

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:15 - May 10 by PhilTWTD

For the sake of clarity also worth pointing out that the £1.4m written off by ME in 2014/15 - basically to comply with FFP - has been ignored, even if the overall point that player sales have covered a great part of the annual shortfall over the last couple of seasons is correct.

Don't introduce facts into Doob's argument. Sheesh....

As my post above pointed out, we've lost the best part of £41m in the last 5 seasons, offset by a profit one year of £5.4m.

So he's £36m down just on the last 5 seasons 😳
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:33 - May 10 with 3160 viewsSwansea_Blue

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:20 - May 10 by ElderGrizzly

As my post above pointed out, we've lost the best part of £41m in the last 5 seasons, offset by a profit one year of £5.4m.

As you imply, it's unsustainable. Or I suppose he can sustain it, but it makes zero sense with little chance of changing the outcome. He does need to go. Or he gets serious about the amount of resources needed to mount a title challenge in this era of ridiculously large parachute payments and inflated wages. Or we die a slow lingering death into, at best lower table obscurity.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:36 - May 10 with 3135 viewsTractorWood

Agree, astounding figures but it's a championship football club, what does he expect?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:39 - May 10 with 3114 viewsElderGrizzly

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:33 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

As you imply, it's unsustainable. Or I suppose he can sustain it, but it makes zero sense with little chance of changing the outcome. He does need to go. Or he gets serious about the amount of resources needed to mount a title challenge in this era of ridiculously large parachute payments and inflated wages. Or we die a slow lingering death into, at best lower table obscurity.

Agree.

To compete and stand a real chance of promotion it's a minimum loss of £15m to £20m a season now, or have a fluke season like us, Huddersfield and Brentford did.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:40 - May 10 with 3108 viewsDoobDude

You are equating accounting losses with actual money.
Rookie mistake as those "losses" include interest charged and returns from dividends.

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:42 - May 10 with 3090 viewsElderGrizzly

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:40 - May 10 by DoobDude

You are equating accounting losses with actual money.
Rookie mistake as those "losses" include interest charged and returns from dividends.

I think you'll find the only mistake is you pretending to know what you are on about... :)
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:06 - May 10 with 2988 viewsTJS

I've got no sympathy for Evans.
The amount of his personal wealth / annual income he has put into the club is not greater than me or a lot of supporters in percentage terms when they pay for their season ticket each year.
(and we don't get any say in the running of the club !)
[Post edited 10 May 2017 13:07]
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:13 - May 10 with 2940 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 12:42 - May 10 by ElderGrizzly

I think you'll find the only mistake is you pretending to know what you are on about... :)

Indeed. Doob you've been corrected numerous of times on here by chartered accountants including me, but you choose to ignore those posts for whatever reasons.

The facts are very simple. Evans has put in something in the region of £70-£90m (and rising) to ITFC. Many supporters are refusing to part with a few hundred quid for a season ticket. For us to be competitive, an owner would almost certainly need to contribute significant funds. Evans isn't currently prepared to put in much more than his already significant annual contribution. End of story. No nonsense about an inconsequential tax benefit nor dividend stripping and preference shares being a mechanism for extracting funds.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:14 - May 10 with 2925 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:06 - May 10 by TJS

I've got no sympathy for Evans.
The amount of his personal wealth / annual income he has put into the club is not greater than me or a lot of supporters in percentage terms when they pay for their season ticket each year.
(and we don't get any say in the running of the club !)
[Post edited 10 May 2017 13:07]

You are having a laugh?

He's put far more in percentage terms of his wealth into ITFC than the average fan quipping about whether to spend a few hundred quid on a season ticket.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:16 - May 10 with 2909 viewshowdonblue

Well we will see if Evans is a fool or not over the next month because if they have learned anything from the futile way they have ran the club since the play off season we will be getting business done quickly !

I'm not holding my breath ..

I can see the Milne interview in august already.

"We have a budget to work to "

"Marcus is investing 6 million per season "

Blah blah blah

I ain't confident

So mr Evans and Milne

Prove me wrong
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:26 - May 10 with 2867 viewsTJS

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:14 - May 10 by PrideOfTheEast

You are having a laugh?

He's put far more in percentage terms of his wealth into ITFC than the average fan quipping about whether to spend a few hundred quid on a season ticket.

Sorry but I don't see how you think this is so far out.
If his net worth is 765m and he is putting 6m a year into the club that is 0.78%
A £450 season ticket for someone on a salary of £25,000 (say £19,000 net) would be 2.4%
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:29 - May 10 with 2843 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:26 - May 10 by TJS

Sorry but I don't see how you think this is so far out.
If his net worth is 765m and he is putting 6m a year into the club that is 0.78%
A £450 season ticket for someone on a salary of £25,000 (say £19,000 net) would be 2.4%

You're comparing the percentage of a fans annual income to the price of a season ticket and then the percentage of ME's annual contribution to ITFC to his total wealth. That is not comparing like for like is it.
Clear that McCarthy is staying on 13:32 - May 10 with 2821 viewsNo9

All Mr Evans needs to do is to change his advisers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024