Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A fairly reasonable review of where we're at 09:55 - Jun 2 with 2625 viewsbackinbeige

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html

I think the fact this was written by a outsider looking in helps. It doesn't address the hoofball issue...but it's still good to look at things in a wider context.

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

A fairly reasonable review of where we're at on 10:19 - Jun 2 with 2583 viewsRegencyBlue

I've seen Swissrambles articles before and they are very good.

Depressing reading though as its pretty clear there isn't a cat in hells chance of challenging for promotion under the current business model.

Also interesting that we are more dependent on gate receipts than many Championship clubs. It will be interesting to see how the rumoured collapse in season ticket sales plays into that!
The highlight of that excellent analysis is..... on 12:06 - Jun 2 with 2517 viewsBloots

.....in the responses:

"I know it's only small change, but they still provide fleeces for staff to wear in the catering kiosks, even though catering has reportedly been sub-contracted out (so why are they still paying for fleeces?). These fleeces are frequently 'stolen' by staff, as they are allowed to take them home in between matches. Some of them only work a week or two, before leaving the job (with their fleece!). The club could fix this, by enforcing a rule of all fleeces remaining on the premises! They have now introduced a £10 deposit per fleece, but given the fleeces are apparently worth around £50, it clearly needs to be a bigger deposit if they're going to continue to use this approach."

This revelation really does put all of our problems into perspective.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

A fairly reasonable review of where we're at on 12:51 - Jun 2 with 2476 viewsmonty_radio

Good work, especially on all things financial.

But the football! The football!

He quotes Marcus saying “I wanted to work with a manager who was going to try to and coach and make our players better".

Given the disjuncture that many experienced Youth observers on here have noted re the pass-and-move play in the club's younger echelons and the "hoof-first-notice-the-pass-that-was-on-that-you-missed" style prevailing at PR, you couldn't say Evans has succeeded there.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A fairly reasonable review of where we're at on 13:06 - Jun 2 with 2447 viewsDennyx4

A couple of interesting items

1) There is a few mentions to gate income from cup matches, helping the overall profitability from ticket sales - Cup Semi Final, Away to Man U and Chelsea away.

If this income is significant as reported, why do we not play a full strength team at every opportunity in the cup to maximise the potential revenue?

2) Worryingly only 6 teams spent less than us on transfer fees in the Championship and 3 of those got relegated. That would indicate spending money doesn't guarantee success, but not spending has guaranteed relegation.
The highlight of that excellent analysis is..... on 12:54 - Jun 5 with 2277 viewsbackinbeige

The highlight of that excellent analysis is..... on 12:06 - Jun 2 by Bloots

.....in the responses:

"I know it's only small change, but they still provide fleeces for staff to wear in the catering kiosks, even though catering has reportedly been sub-contracted out (so why are they still paying for fleeces?). These fleeces are frequently 'stolen' by staff, as they are allowed to take them home in between matches. Some of them only work a week or two, before leaving the job (with their fleece!). The club could fix this, by enforcing a rule of all fleeces remaining on the premises! They have now introduced a £10 deposit per fleece, but given the fleeces are apparently worth around £50, it clearly needs to be a bigger deposit if they're going to continue to use this approach."

This revelation really does put all of our problems into perspective.

I found that hilarious too. Images of Grant Leadbitter after he had been sold, exiting Portman Road with bundles of catering fleeces under his arm, trying to offload them at various Toby Carveys on the drive up to Middlesbrough.

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

A fairly reasonable review of where we're at on 13:06 - Jun 5 with 2257 viewsbackinbeige

Whilst I am absolutely not a Marcus Evans apologist (I also work for one of the companies he competes with), it shows you how precarious our financial position is and how reliant on his funding we are. Our debt hovers around the £85m-£87m mark and that's as a result of selling Cresswell, Mings, Murphy, etc each year. We're not a million miles from Sheepshanks-era administration (although not too close that anyone needs to be currently concerned).

You could argue that our reliance on Evans' annual handouts are a problem of Evans' own making. Instead of investing in the squad, which will bring cup runs and attendances (that turn into commercial revenue) that apparently will bankroll us, he'll just give the amount to survive. This just continues the problem into next season.

I feel like the most petulant only child if I stamp my feet and demand for millions of pounds to be spent on what is essentially my behalf, but it really does feel like stick or twist now.

The perception is that the 'stick' option carries less risk, i.e. if we don't spend any money and continue to look for bargains, which granted Mick is very good at, then we won't go bust. If we twist and splurge a load of cash on players that don't work out then we're even further in trouble.

I'd argue the opposite is true- if we stick and operate on minimal spend then we'll continue to slide backwards. I'm just fully aware that I'm asking someone else to spend millions of pounds of their own money and not put my hand into my own pocket, which is easy to do on an internet message board.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024