Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail 14:09 - Jun 7 with 16962 viewsreusersfreekicks

All a disgrace today. Utterly appalling...
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 09:58 - Jun 8 with 1229 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 09:56 - Jun 8 by No9

That is low even by your distorted standards

None of those was Home Secretary

What on earth does that have to do with apologising for terror?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 11:09 - Jun 8 with 1200 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 09:53 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

What do you call this if it isn't apologising and excusing terrorists?

That was a counter-narrative that was utterly unreported in the media at the time: that a succession of British Government policies made the situation worse, and that emergency powers were being used as a weapon of intimidation by the RUC against Catholics. Instead the media only reported the violence carried out by outlawed Republican and Loyalist organisations.

RUC Police Officers passed information to Loyalist groups to facilitate attacks on the Nationalist community. This went unreported by the British media for years. I'd guess that many on this board don't even know this happened now.

To say that the violence "primarily stems from" British occupation of Ireland is a view of history that the vast majority of historians would either agree with or accept as an argument that could be reasonably made. That doesn't make any of those who signed this EDM an "apologist for terror". It's a noting of context, and by re-framing the struggle for basic freedoms to be enjoyed by all the working class people of Northern Ireland, the offering of a way forward that could unite Protestants and Catholics.

You really struggle with context and nuance, don't you, Mr Binary?
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 11:44 - Jun 8 with 1173 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 11:09 - Jun 8 by connorscontract

That was a counter-narrative that was utterly unreported in the media at the time: that a succession of British Government policies made the situation worse, and that emergency powers were being used as a weapon of intimidation by the RUC against Catholics. Instead the media only reported the violence carried out by outlawed Republican and Loyalist organisations.

RUC Police Officers passed information to Loyalist groups to facilitate attacks on the Nationalist community. This went unreported by the British media for years. I'd guess that many on this board don't even know this happened now.

To say that the violence "primarily stems from" British occupation of Ireland is a view of history that the vast majority of historians would either agree with or accept as an argument that could be reasonably made. That doesn't make any of those who signed this EDM an "apologist for terror". It's a noting of context, and by re-framing the struggle for basic freedoms to be enjoyed by all the working class people of Northern Ireland, the offering of a way forward that could unite Protestants and Catholics.

You really struggle with context and nuance, don't you, Mr Binary?

The motion is a wish list for the IRA.

Britain to withdraw from Northern Ireland
Negotiations with the ROI to secure a united Ireland with no consultation with the Unionist majority in the north
No power sharing government at Stormont (something that has brought real peace to Northern Ireland)
Blaming the British government and not the terrorists

Spin it how you want it is an apology for the IRA.

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 11:52 - Jun 8 with 1160 viewsvilanovablue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 14:57 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

And once again I asked a question in a courteous and polite manner. Was there a need to throw insults?

Now if you accept that the Provisional IRA were a terrorist organisation then do you accept that the statement “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA" is apologising for that terror?

If the answer to either of those questions is yes then the Mail's front page is factually correct.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 14:59]

Thatcher was talking to terrorists too. The way it's painted in a large portion of the press I think it's fair to say distorts the facts to fit their agenda. If you don't think that there is an agenda by the likes of The Sun then there is probably little point in having a discussion.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 11:58 - Jun 8 with 1147 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 11:52 - Jun 8 by vilanovablue

Thatcher was talking to terrorists too. The way it's painted in a large portion of the press I think it's fair to say distorts the facts to fit their agenda. If you don't think that there is an agenda by the likes of The Sun then there is probably little point in having a discussion.

Talking to. Not siding with. How many times does this need said before it sinks in?

Of course nobody should criticise the government of the UK holding talks with all sides in order to bring about an end to the conflict. Whether that be Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major or Blair Blair. They are in a position to negotiate and open dialogue.

They did not honour IRA dead

They did not praise IRA terrorists

They did not excuse IRA terrorism

They did speak at pro IRA meetings

They did not share the aims of the IRA

Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot did.

As for you final sentence; had you read my comments you would have seen that whilst I believe the Mail's headline to be factually correct I stated that ......."the headline in the Sun was misleading and disingenuous based on Cornyn attending an open event that was also attended by Anjem Choudray and members of Al-Muhajiroun wearing mock up suicide vests. There was no evidence that Corbyn met or spoke in their favour and it is out of order by the Sun".

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024