Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail 14:09 - Jun 7 with 16961 viewsreusersfreekicks

All a disgrace today. Utterly appalling...
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:03 - Jun 7 with 4409 viewsmanchego

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 15:50 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Yes I completely understand why the Provisional IRA existed. In part it was to defend the Catholic minority who were being persecuted by the Protestant Unionist majority. They were treated like second class citizens in Northern Ireland and I have described their treatment as being similar to blacks in the Southern states of America.

I have also said that the Catholic minority who wanted to be part of united Ireland had legitimate grievances and they had two paths to follow in achieving either equal rights or a united Ireland. They could have taken the route walked by the SDLP. A route of dialogue through peaceful and democratic means. A route taken by Seamus Mallon who was a key player in the Good Friday agreement. Seamus Mallon who said of Jeremy Corbyn "He very clearly took the side of the IRA and that was incompatible, in my opinion, with working for peace."

Or they could have taken the route of the Provisional IRA, which was to wage a war of terror which included murdering innocent British citizens. By any definition, the Provisional IRA were a terrorist organisation.

So again we get to the apologist for terror. You have accepted that they were a Terrorist organisation. So the words: “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA" is apologising for that terror.

As for your patronising comment about crowd funding me a trip to Northern Ireland,. I have visited both the North and Republic of Ireland several times. Living in Scotland it is difficult not to have friends who from both sides of the divide.

In your first paragraph you forgot to mention that Ireland was occupied by foreign country.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:06 - Jun 7 with 4398 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:03 - Jun 7 by manchego

In your first paragraph you forgot to mention that Ireland was occupied by foreign country.

And the fact that the RUC continued to collude with Loyalist paramilitaries during periods of negotiation, and that it was muders by Loyalist paramilitaries, most notably the Shankhill Butchers, which de-railed negotiations more than once.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:08 - Jun 7 with 4382 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 15:59 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

You know it is dirty politicking, deliberately devoid of context, with no right of reply, that besmirches democracy.

But you don't care about that, as long as you can have a good bray on Friday morning.

I mean, anyone can re-publish something someone said years before, like this C*ntservative Party leaflet, for example:

Indeed. And those of us with a moral compass won't hide our heads in the sand and make piss poor excuses for that racist cu^t Peter Griffiths. We will condemn it without reservation.

A shame people like you don't have the stones to do the same with Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:10 - Jun 7 with 4378 viewsnoggin

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:03 - Jun 7 by manchego

Rule Britannia and that.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:10 - Jun 7 with 4366 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:06 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

And the fact that the RUC continued to collude with Loyalist paramilitaries during periods of negotiation, and that it was muders by Loyalist paramilitaries, most notably the Shankhill Butchers, which de-railed negotiations more than once.

Yes all of that. But do you accept that the Provisional IRA were a terrorist organisation?

Is there a record of Mr Corbyn opening dialogue with the UVF or attending events honouring the Shanklhill Butchers?

I'll even make it easier for you. Is there a record of Corbyn standing foe a minute's silence in honour of a murdered member of the RUC during the troubles? A murdered soldier in Northern Ireland?

Why is it we only have records of this peacemaker attending memorials for the IRA?

Edit. And so it goes quiet.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 16:18]

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:42 - Jun 7 with 4313 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:10 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Yes all of that. But do you accept that the Provisional IRA were a terrorist organisation?

Is there a record of Mr Corbyn opening dialogue with the UVF or attending events honouring the Shanklhill Butchers?

I'll even make it easier for you. Is there a record of Corbyn standing foe a minute's silence in honour of a murdered member of the RUC during the troubles? A murdered soldier in Northern Ireland?

Why is it we only have records of this peacemaker attending memorials for the IRA?

Edit. And so it goes quiet.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 16:18]

The history of the IRA covers nearly 100 years and includes many different phases.

They were always a paramilitary organisation and at times used terrorist tactics, if terrorism is defined as attacking primarily civilian targets, as distinct from attacks on combatants.

Attacks against the RUC are a grey area as there is evidence of clear collusion between the RUC and loyalist paramilitaries, and the RUC were armed (as in the arrest of Bobby Sands).

Attacks against the British Army are not terrorist attacks per se, as the IRA had formally declared war on the British Army and as a result was a proscribed organisation and the British Army had rules of engagement against IRA (and INLA) paramilitaries.

The IRA splintered into different groups with different approaches. But it is undeniable that, at times, the Provisional IRA attacked civilian targets, both on mainland Britain and in Northern Ireland.

Bobby Sands is interesting, though. He was "possibly" involved in a firebombing of a business, an economic attack rather than a deliberate attempt to kill or maim civilians. He then led a peaceful hunger strike for the right to be treated as a political prisoner, and ultimately died. After his death those within the IRA who were inclined to more indiscriminate violence took sway. Had the British Government given him the status of political prisoner then a) he wouldn't have died and b) he would have had an increasing influence on the future direction of the IRA. Corbyn clearly sees him as one of those who could have been instrumental in securing peace much earlier.

Corbyn clearly had sympathy with the Nationalist cause and was one of the conduits through which talks were facilitated between Westminster and Republicans.

Why on earth would he attend an event to honour the Butchers? They were disowned by the majority of Loyalist paramilitaries.

I have no idea if he ever stood for a minute's silence to honour a mudered police officer during the Troubles. Did you?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 16:44]
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:49 - Jun 7 with 4291 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:42 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

The history of the IRA covers nearly 100 years and includes many different phases.

They were always a paramilitary organisation and at times used terrorist tactics, if terrorism is defined as attacking primarily civilian targets, as distinct from attacks on combatants.

Attacks against the RUC are a grey area as there is evidence of clear collusion between the RUC and loyalist paramilitaries, and the RUC were armed (as in the arrest of Bobby Sands).

Attacks against the British Army are not terrorist attacks per se, as the IRA had formally declared war on the British Army and as a result was a proscribed organisation and the British Army had rules of engagement against IRA (and INLA) paramilitaries.

The IRA splintered into different groups with different approaches. But it is undeniable that, at times, the Provisional IRA attacked civilian targets, both on mainland Britain and in Northern Ireland.

Bobby Sands is interesting, though. He was "possibly" involved in a firebombing of a business, an economic attack rather than a deliberate attempt to kill or maim civilians. He then led a peaceful hunger strike for the right to be treated as a political prisoner, and ultimately died. After his death those within the IRA who were inclined to more indiscriminate violence took sway. Had the British Government given him the status of political prisoner then a) he wouldn't have died and b) he would have had an increasing influence on the future direction of the IRA. Corbyn clearly sees him as one of those who could have been instrumental in securing peace much earlier.

Corbyn clearly had sympathy with the Nationalist cause and was one of the conduits through which talks were facilitated between Westminster and Republicans.

Why on earth would he attend an event to honour the Butchers? They were disowned by the majority of Loyalist paramilitaries.

I have no idea if he ever stood for a minute's silence to honour a mudered police officer during the Troubles. Did you?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 16:44]

I specifically said the Provisional IRA.

"Why on earth would he attend an event to honour the Butchers?2 Well quite. Why on earth would he attend an event to honour 8 Provisional IRA terrorists who were shot dead by the SAS?

Why would he share a platform with an IRA terrorist who was on the run from security services after murdering a British soldier?

You may not consider attacks against the British Army as terrorist attacks but the Provisional IRA killed 644 innocent civilians.

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:54 - Jun 7 with 4288 viewsSwansea_Blue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 15:16 - Jun 7 by BlueNomad

Is May not a tacit supporter of the terror being rained on the people of North Yemen by Saudi Arabia as I type this?

That doesn't count because there's profit in it 👍. Profit before people and all that.

Corbyn has handled his past poorly in this campaign though. He's correct (I believe) in saying we need to find non-violent ways to prevent or solve terrorist problems. And he's correct (again in my opinion) that we need to look closely at our foreign policy in this. But he's dodged his past and it will keep coming back to haunt him unless he can be more open and honest. He talks about forgiveness but he's not goving people an opportunity to forgive him if he won't admit his past is unsavoury.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:20 - Jun 7 with 4255 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 16:49 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

I specifically said the Provisional IRA.

"Why on earth would he attend an event to honour the Butchers?2 Well quite. Why on earth would he attend an event to honour 8 Provisional IRA terrorists who were shot dead by the SAS?

Why would he share a platform with an IRA terrorist who was on the run from security services after murdering a British soldier?

You may not consider attacks against the British Army as terrorist attacks but the Provisional IRA killed 644 innocent civilians.

I know you said Provisional IRA, but I was giving additional context. Sorry about that.

You know why he would attend an event to commemorate the life of 8 members of the Provisional IRA shot dead by the SAS: because he had a great deal of sympathy with the Nationalist cause and, as a Member of the British Legislature, wanted to signify that he did not approve of extra-judicial killings which went beyond the rules of engagement and were of dubious legality.

The silly tabloids have made the point continually. It will probably win you Tories some votes. Well done you. It must be so hard to win elections appealing to naked self-interest, fear, and nationalism.

But your earlier example of Bobby Sands shows that you actually know very little of the Nationalist perspective on the Troubles. Tally up the violence done to him and his family against the violence he committed, and tell me why Corbyn was wrong to speak good of him.

And look at the pattern of violence in Northern Ireland, and the lulls heading towards cease-fires, and how often it was re-ignited by Loyalist violence (often with RUC collusion) and see how that terrible death toll could have been reduced so much earlier if there had been the slightest willingness on the part of the UK Government to establish justice for Catholics.

The Troubles re-ignited because protestors on a peace march were shot, ffs. In that context it's not hard for the "Peaceful process and dialogue doesn't work" narrative to dominate. And every time it started to bear any fruit it was always sabotaged by a hot-head on one side or the other.

It's a dirty, dirty business. Horrible and horrific and few come out of it well. Bobby Sands wasn't the evil, murderous scum that I was brought up to believe him to be, though.

But ultimately the current, fragile peace was won by dialogue and listening and relationships being built, and the fact that some mainland MP's swam against the tide to establish those relationships earlier than others is to their credit, in my view.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:22 - Jun 7 with 4246 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:20 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

I know you said Provisional IRA, but I was giving additional context. Sorry about that.

You know why he would attend an event to commemorate the life of 8 members of the Provisional IRA shot dead by the SAS: because he had a great deal of sympathy with the Nationalist cause and, as a Member of the British Legislature, wanted to signify that he did not approve of extra-judicial killings which went beyond the rules of engagement and were of dubious legality.

The silly tabloids have made the point continually. It will probably win you Tories some votes. Well done you. It must be so hard to win elections appealing to naked self-interest, fear, and nationalism.

But your earlier example of Bobby Sands shows that you actually know very little of the Nationalist perspective on the Troubles. Tally up the violence done to him and his family against the violence he committed, and tell me why Corbyn was wrong to speak good of him.

And look at the pattern of violence in Northern Ireland, and the lulls heading towards cease-fires, and how often it was re-ignited by Loyalist violence (often with RUC collusion) and see how that terrible death toll could have been reduced so much earlier if there had been the slightest willingness on the part of the UK Government to establish justice for Catholics.

The Troubles re-ignited because protestors on a peace march were shot, ffs. In that context it's not hard for the "Peaceful process and dialogue doesn't work" narrative to dominate. And every time it started to bear any fruit it was always sabotaged by a hot-head on one side or the other.

It's a dirty, dirty business. Horrible and horrific and few come out of it well. Bobby Sands wasn't the evil, murderous scum that I was brought up to believe him to be, though.

But ultimately the current, fragile peace was won by dialogue and listening and relationships being built, and the fact that some mainland MP's swam against the tide to establish those relationships earlier than others is to their credit, in my view.

All of which requires a lot longer to read than:

"Corbyn loves IRA terrorists and baby murderers"

headlines, sadly.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:28 - Jun 7 with 4236 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:22 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

All of which requires a lot longer to read than:

"Corbyn loves IRA terrorists and baby murderers"

headlines, sadly.

The headline in the Mail was "Apologists for Terror"

If you agree that the IRA are a terrorist organisation then the headline is perfectly accurate.

The headline in the Sun however was misleading and disingenuous based on Cornyn attending an open event that was also attended by Anjem Choudray and members of Al-Muhajiroun wearing mock up suicide vests. There was no evidence that Corbyn met or spoke in their favour and it is out of order by the Sun.

But back to the Mail. All three, Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot have been apologists and useful idiots for the IRA.

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:38 - Jun 7 with 4222 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit unfair on the Express there. They seem to be very impartial today. I've looked for bias or something non-factual, but couldn't see a hint of either on their front page today.

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:41 - Jun 7 with 4216 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:28 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

The headline in the Mail was "Apologists for Terror"

If you agree that the IRA are a terrorist organisation then the headline is perfectly accurate.

The headline in the Sun however was misleading and disingenuous based on Cornyn attending an open event that was also attended by Anjem Choudray and members of Al-Muhajiroun wearing mock up suicide vests. There was no evidence that Corbyn met or spoke in their favour and it is out of order by the Sun.

But back to the Mail. All three, Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot have been apologists and useful idiots for the IRA.

No, "Apologists for Terror" is not a fair reflection of Corbyn's position on Northern Ireland.

Your lack of knowledge of the real story of Bobby Sands, the violence he suffered in custody or the way the RUC attempted to fit him up for something without evidence, and your knee-jerk desire to just tar Corbyn with the IRA brush (whilst also feathering him with the down of the white dove over Trident for being too pacifist) illustrates how you have completely bought one side of the story on the Troubles and are utterly ignorant of the many attempts to broker cease-fires through unofficial channels based on carefully built relationships.

Dialogue and relationship building develop trust. Only when there is trust can peace be established to end conflict. Post-Blair I'm all for a PM who seeks to establish dialogue rather than drop bombs at the first opportunity.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:47 - Jun 7 with 4202 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:41 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

No, "Apologists for Terror" is not a fair reflection of Corbyn's position on Northern Ireland.

Your lack of knowledge of the real story of Bobby Sands, the violence he suffered in custody or the way the RUC attempted to fit him up for something without evidence, and your knee-jerk desire to just tar Corbyn with the IRA brush (whilst also feathering him with the down of the white dove over Trident for being too pacifist) illustrates how you have completely bought one side of the story on the Troubles and are utterly ignorant of the many attempts to broker cease-fires through unofficial channels based on carefully built relationships.

Dialogue and relationship building develop trust. Only when there is trust can peace be established to end conflict. Post-Blair I'm all for a PM who seeks to establish dialogue rather than drop bombs at the first opportunity.

"Your lack of knowledge of the real story of Bobby Sands"

Condescending nonsense.

You are focusing on one individual and ignoring Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott's continued support for the IRA during the troubles.

And I wont take lessons on history from the poster who once claimed that the USA threatened to nuke the UK over the Suez affair.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 17:50]

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:03 - Jun 7 with 4180 viewsSwansea_Blue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:47 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Condescending nonsense.

You are focusing on one individual and ignoring Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott's continued support for the IRA during the troubles.

And I wont take lessons on history from the poster who once claimed that the USA threatened to nuke the UK over the Suez affair.

I think you're focussing on one or two individuals too, and not the party position/proposed policy. For what it's worth. Not that I want to jump into someone else's argument.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 18:03]

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:05 - Jun 7 with 4169 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:03 - Jun 7 by Swansea_Blue

I think you're focussing on one or two individuals too, and not the party position/proposed policy. For what it's worth. Not that I want to jump into someone else's argument.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 18:03]

The one or two individuals who are putting themselves up to be Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

And the Shadow Home Secretary, if sh is well enough.

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:17 - Jun 7 with 4150 viewsJohnhoz

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:05 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

The one or two individuals who are putting themselves up to be Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

And the Shadow Home Secretary, if sh is well enough.

When I saw the headline my first reaction was that the newspaper is using the recent events in Manchester and London to prey on peoples fears at the moment. Right now a lot of people think of Islamic extremism when they see the word terror or terrorism and to produce that headline at the moment is wrong IMO.

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:24 - Jun 7 with 4133 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:17 - Jun 7 by Johnhoz

When I saw the headline my first reaction was that the newspaper is using the recent events in Manchester and London to prey on peoples fears at the moment. Right now a lot of people think of Islamic extremism when they see the word terror or terrorism and to produce that headline at the moment is wrong IMO.

In the context of recent events it's highly relevant.

Swap IRA for ISIS and people would be utterly appalled if a back bench Labour MP attended a series of pro IS events and honoured the suicide bomber in Manchester.

Or shared a platform with a Jihadist who was on the run from the police for murdering a British soldier.

Or made a statement saying that a victory for IS against the British state would be a victory indeed.

Or said "It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Salman Abedi that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of IS. Because of the bravery of IS and people like Salman Abedi, we now have a peace process.”

We would be horrified and appalled now but I wonder how that would play in 40 years time if that back bench MP was in a position to become the next Prime Minister?

Would the Press be right to put it on the front page?

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:31 - Jun 7 with 4120 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 17:47 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Condescending nonsense.

You brought up Bobby Sands in this thread. Slagging off Corbyn for saying something nice about him.

As you well know I said the US threatened us with nuclear war over Suez. Meaning that they wouldn't intervene to stop the Russians attacking us and it could go nuclear.

And, if you want to delve into past posting histories for the nuclear option (how very Lynton of you) I won't take any more condescension from the Tory "Self-made businessman" who started his business with money from his Mummy-in-Law.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:33 - Jun 7 with 4116 viewsJohnhoz

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:24 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

In the context of recent events it's highly relevant.

Swap IRA for ISIS and people would be utterly appalled if a back bench Labour MP attended a series of pro IS events and honoured the suicide bomber in Manchester.

Or shared a platform with a Jihadist who was on the run from the police for murdering a British soldier.

Or made a statement saying that a victory for IS against the British state would be a victory indeed.

Or said "It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Salman Abedi that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of IS. Because of the bravery of IS and people like Salman Abedi, we now have a peace process.”

We would be horrified and appalled now but I wonder how that would play in 40 years time if that back bench MP was in a position to become the next Prime Minister?

Would the Press be right to put it on the front page?

Yes of course they would be right to put that on the front page.

I just felt, Glassers, that the article offers nothing new and that without the recent atrocities it would not be front page news today. To me they are using the recent events to push an agenda which we are all familiar with. I'm not disputing the content of the article.

Edit: As an aside; I would like to see our newspapers being more positive about the party they support rather than devoting so much time to attacking the opposition. Hey ho.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 18:35]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:37 - Jun 7 with 4103 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:31 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

You brought up Bobby Sands in this thread. Slagging off Corbyn for saying something nice about him.

As you well know I said the US threatened us with nuclear war over Suez. Meaning that they wouldn't intervene to stop the Russians attacking us and it could go nuclear.

And, if you want to delve into past posting histories for the nuclear option (how very Lynton of you) I won't take any more condescension from the Tory "Self-made businessman" who started his business with money from his Mummy-in-Law.

The actual quote was “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA"

Bobby Sands was just part of one quote. You ignore the other examples I gave of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott's IRA support.

As for you final paragraph. I called you out on a post you made regarding the USA nuking the UK. I didn't make it about your personal life or in fact twist it in my own words.

Well done for sinking to such depths.

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:39 - Jun 7 with 4094 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:37 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

The actual quote was “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA"

Bobby Sands was just part of one quote. You ignore the other examples I gave of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott's IRA support.

As for you final paragraph. I called you out on a post you made regarding the USA nuking the UK. I didn't make it about your personal life or in fact twist it in my own words.

Well done for sinking to such depths.

Oh diddums, Lynton, did the nasty man say something nasty in a thread about TWISTING WORDS AND SLAGGING PEOPLE OFF?
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:43 - Jun 7 with 4086 viewsGlasgowBlue

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:39 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

Oh diddums, Lynton, did the nasty man say something nasty in a thread about TWISTING WORDS AND SLAGGING PEOPLE OFF?

You got personal and misrepresented my position.

That is desperate. You DID say that the USA had threatened to nuke the UK over Suez. I never used any of the words you attributed to me.

If that is the only way you can win an argument then you aren't worth the bother.

Iron Lion Zion

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 19:01 - Jun 7 with 4053 viewsconnorscontract

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 18:43 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

You got personal and misrepresented my position.

That is desperate. You DID say that the USA had threatened to nuke the UK over Suez. I never used any of the words you attributed to me.

If that is the only way you can win an argument then you aren't worth the bother.

No, I said that the US threatened us with nuclear war over Suez.

Which has nothing to do with the thread, you were just trying to discredit me, as your way of winning the argument.

It's ironic that you struggle so much with any personal comment, yet all day, every day, play the man, not the ball, with Corbyn. As you do in this thread.

You clearly know very, very little about the history of the Troubles, apart from the standard Thatcherite position. The truth is way more nuanced, and even under Thatcher, who didn't "negotiate with terrorists", there were back-channel negotiations going on all the time.

Fortunately John Major understood the subtleties and the importance of dialogue and progress was made. Mo Mowlam, way more than Tony Blair, then delivered the seemingly impossible. But all of that was only possible once the Republicans were de-demonised and their experiences listened to.

Now, they both sat down and listened to the Republicans, and their actions are seen as states(wo)man-like. Yet Jeremy Corbyn did the same and somehow this makes him unelectable.
Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 19:02 - Jun 7 with 4046 viewsblue_oyster

Front Pages of The Sun, The Daily Getsworse and The Hate Mail on 19:01 - Jun 7 by connorscontract

No, I said that the US threatened us with nuclear war over Suez.

Which has nothing to do with the thread, you were just trying to discredit me, as your way of winning the argument.

It's ironic that you struggle so much with any personal comment, yet all day, every day, play the man, not the ball, with Corbyn. As you do in this thread.

You clearly know very, very little about the history of the Troubles, apart from the standard Thatcherite position. The truth is way more nuanced, and even under Thatcher, who didn't "negotiate with terrorists", there were back-channel negotiations going on all the time.

Fortunately John Major understood the subtleties and the importance of dialogue and progress was made. Mo Mowlam, way more than Tony Blair, then delivered the seemingly impossible. But all of that was only possible once the Republicans were de-demonised and their experiences listened to.

Now, they both sat down and listened to the Republicans, and their actions are seen as states(wo)man-like. Yet Jeremy Corbyn did the same and somehow this makes him unelectable.

Did they?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024