Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free Tuition Fees 09:35 - Jun 22 with 10216 viewsusm

Apparently, we would have to offer free tuition fees to all EU individuals if we introduced it, at least until we exit the EU (and probably for the unlimited "transitional period" thereafter." And presumably pay off all existing tuition fee loans.
Just as well they didnt get in.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Free Tuition Fees on 10:09 - Jun 22 with 6889 viewsSarge

Why is it then that Scotland can offer free tuition for Scottish students but not English?
on 10:10 - Jun 22 with 6877 views_

Free Tuition Fees on 10:12 - Jun 22 with 6864 viewsusm

on 10:10 - Jun 22 by _

Is it wrong then ? Heard it yesterday at a seminar, the Scottish thing makes me wonder whether its accurate or not.

FOYSC

on 10:14 - Jun 22 with 6852 views_

Free Tuition Fees on 10:12 - Jun 22 by usm

Is it wrong then ? Heard it yesterday at a seminar, the Scottish thing makes me wonder whether its accurate or not.

Free Tuition Fees on 10:15 - Jun 22 with 6854 viewsSwansea_Blue

I believe they were seeking to make this offer to EU nationals voluntarily, and proposed to seek reciprocal arrangements with EU countries, so that our students could learn overseas and avoid having to pay tuition fees.

And the 'refunds' would have been just for those any fees paid for the upcoming academic year about to start in September (no fees at all for new intake; only current year refunded for existing students and not paying off all existing loans).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Free Tuition Fees on 10:16 - Jun 22 with 6838 viewsusm

on 10:14 - Jun 22 by _

Think the EU bit is correct though, so how the feck do the Jocks get away with it ?

FOYSC

Free Tuition Fees on 10:18 - Jun 22 with 6829 viewsGeoffSentence

Free Tuition Fees on 10:16 - Jun 22 by usm

Think the EU bit is correct though, so how the feck do the Jocks get away with it ?

I believe they also have to offer free tuition to EU students, however they don't have to extend the privilege to the the rest of the UK as we are part of the same country.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

on 10:19 - Jun 22 with 6819 views_

Free Tuition Fees on 10:16 - Jun 22 by usm

Login to get fewer ads

Free Tuition Fees on 10:21 - Jun 22 with 6808 viewsusm

Free Tuition Fees on 10:18 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

I believe they also have to offer free tuition to EU students, however they don't have to extend the privilege to the the rest of the UK as we are part of the same country.

Hahaha, lovely.

FOYSC

Free Tuition Fees on 10:24 - Jun 22 with 6791 viewsGlasgowBlue

Free Tuition Fees on 10:09 - Jun 22 by Sarge

Why is it then that Scotland can offer free tuition for Scottish students but not English?

At the expense of Schools and colleges where inequality has got worse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/free-university-tuiti

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Free Tuition Fees on 10:40 - Jun 22 with 6744 viewsSarge

Free Tuition Fees on 10:24 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

At the expense of Schools and colleges where inequality has got worse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/free-university-tuiti

Hmm.

Universities, it seems to me, are colossal money wasters. I'm doing my masters at Imperial College, the fees are £11k. All I seem to get for that is free access to MATLAB (which would otherwise be ~£100 I think) and free access to journals and technical papers etc.

The quality of teaching is not good, the modules and projects are uninspiring and don't make use of the university's scientific facilities. So if they're not spending the tuition fees on tuition, what are they spending it on?

My guess is that my fees help fund their research, and in return I'm allowed to earn a degree with almost no help from them but that has their name on it.
Free Tuition Fees on 10:44 - Jun 22 with 6707 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Free Tuition Fees on 10:40 - Jun 22 by Sarge

Hmm.

Universities, it seems to me, are colossal money wasters. I'm doing my masters at Imperial College, the fees are £11k. All I seem to get for that is free access to MATLAB (which would otherwise be ~£100 I think) and free access to journals and technical papers etc.

The quality of teaching is not good, the modules and projects are uninspiring and don't make use of the university's scientific facilities. So if they're not spending the tuition fees on tuition, what are they spending it on?

My guess is that my fees help fund their research, and in return I'm allowed to earn a degree with almost no help from them but that has their name on it.

You're probably right, aren't Oxbridge terms about 8 weeks long !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Free Tuition Fees on 10:46 - Jun 22 with 6701 viewsGeoffSentence

Hmm.

I agree with that. My daughter completed a degree last year , there was hardly any contact time at all, she may as well have done it via the Open University.

She actually got her first student loan statement days before the election, I would guess there were a shed loads of them floating around just before voting time, the shock of which may have swayed a few over to Labour.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Free Tuition Fees on 10:59 - Jun 22 with 6661 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hmm.

Shame you feel like that. University fees go towards everything you need to run and maintain a university, from the buildings to maintenance, utilities, academic staff, support staff, all the suppliers, etc.

Fee money tends not to go on research. Some of it may indirectly, as it covers academic staff salaries. But as a lot of research is undertaken outside of what most people would call a normal working week, it would be hard to quantify that component of it. Academics are expected to generate their own income for research through applying for research grants.

Universities are incredibly expensive places to run due to the large infrastructure costs, often in prime locations in Cities. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting appropriate contact time. And there's no excuse for uninspiring course content.

Free Tuition Fees on 11:10 - Jun 22 with 6620 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hmm.

That doesn't address the point made that no tuition fees in Scotland has lead to tax payer funds being ploughed into Universities at the expense of schools which has lead to less opportunities to kids from poor backgrounds and a general decline in school standards overall up here.

It's one of the reasons the SNP are less popular than they were two years ago.

Iron Lion Zion

Free Tuition Fees on 11:17 - Jun 22 with 6593 viewsSwansea_Blue

Free Tuition Fees on 11:10 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

That doesn't address the point made that no tuition fees in Scotland has lead to tax payer funds being ploughed into Universities at the expense of schools which has lead to less opportunities to kids from poor backgrounds and a general decline in school standards overall up here.

That's an interesting point. It sounds like the crux of the argument isn't that free University fees are the problem per se other than there isn't enough money to go round. It's an issue of underfunding of schools. How much money is being wasted on outsourcing, PFI deals, etc., that otherwise could be better used?

Free Tuition Fees on 11:31 - Jun 22 with 6558 viewsitfcjoe

Hmm.

I've got a friend who works a t a university in recruitment - she says the money wasted is just unreal. There's no business mind to it, they'll get loads of signs and everything printed up for an open day at a significant cost; when the next one comes round they are lost and so they just get them re-done - countless examples of things like that.

The pay is really good too and massive expenses on trips abroad to check in on affiliate schools and teaching standards and try and recruit more students which from the sounds of things are mostly unnecessary.

I felt ripped off at £3k a year, and got nothing for it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Free Tuition Fees on 11:38 - Jun 22 with 6513 viewsGlasgowBlue

Free Tuition Fees on 11:17 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

That's an interesting point. It sounds like the crux of the argument isn't that free University fees are the problem per se other than there isn't enough money to go round. It's an issue of underfunding of schools. How much money is being wasted on outsourcing, PFI deals, etc., that otherwise could be better used?

Herein lies the problem. We want more money for education. We want more money for housing. We want more money for the NHS. We want more police officers and more firemen. We want an end to the public sector pay freeze.

Iron Lion Zion

on 11:40 - Jun 22 with 6497 views_

Free Tuition Fees on 11:38 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

Herein lies the problem. We want more money for education. We want more money for housing. We want more money for the NHS. We want more police officers and more firemen. We want an end to the public sector pay freeze.

Free Tuition Fees on 11:45 - Jun 22 with 6462 viewsNo9

It isn't necessarily the problem is it?
It is necessary to resolve these things if we want to have a modern society and progress.
Free Tuition Fees on 11:50 - Jun 22 with 6448 viewsWD19

on 11:40 - Jun 22 by _

Free Tuition Fees on 11:52 - Jun 22 with 6436 viewsusm

on 11:40 - Jun 22 by _

FOYSC

Free Tuition Fees on 11:54 - Jun 22 with 6427 viewsSarge

Free Tuition Fees on 11:10 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

My thinking was that if universities were more careful with their budget then money wouldn't need to be funnelled away from schools and colleges. For example Oxford's endowment is £5billion which is 5x more than their budget so presumably they could manage with no fees at all.

But Swansea has a much better knowledge of what actually goes on than I do.
Free Tuition Fees on 11:55 - Jun 22 with 6416 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indeed. Hence my question about PFI and the likes up there. If there's no enchanted glen containing a money tree and magical brexit fountain, are we spending what money we have wisely?

It's a tough one. I'd have thought prioritising early education is key, as that's when imaginations are more easily fired and habits are formed. But the Uni's will justifiably point to their international record for research and innovation and the benefits this brings to the economy.

Free Tuition Fees on 11:58 - Jun 22 with 6406 viewsGlasgowBlue

Free Tuition Fees on 11:45 - Jun 22 by No9

It isn't necessarily the problem is it?
It is necessary to resolve these things if we want to have a modern society and progress.

Indeed. As I said last week, regardless of whether austerity has harmed our ability to protect our citizens from terror attacks or whether it was responsible for the Grenfell tragedy I think we have reached the point where we can no longer run the country on the cheap.

As well intended as they are, Jezza's magic money tree policies have been taken apart by the IFS and will do more harm than good to the economy, which would then plunge us back into recession and heap even more austerity on the country.

We really need a third way. A centrist leader or party who will be business friendly, whilst at the same time investing the tax receipts into our public services.

A Blair 2.0?

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024