Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People with political knowledge 07:21 - Jun 28 with 3495 viewsJohnhoz

Are votes on legislation in the HOC secret ballots?

Could the DUP vote against the government on big issues if they wanted to and still get the £1.5 billion

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

People with political knowledge on 07:25 - Jun 28 with 3478 viewsGlasgowBlue

No. All votes are recorded.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

People with political knowledge on 07:27 - Jun 28 with 3471 viewsEdwardStone

Short answer is No, not secret ballot

I think that MPs have to leave the Chamber when the division bell sounds for a vote, or vacate the bar/office

Then they line up in 2 different queues to pass through a doorway to be counted, the Ayes and the Noes....but everyone else can see which queue you are waiting in and which doorway you actually go through

So other MPs will know which way you have voted
People with political knowledge on 07:31 - Jun 28 with 3465 viewsJohnhoz

People with political knowledge on 07:25 - Jun 28 by GlasgowBlue

No. All votes are recorded.

Thanks Glassers.

So if they didn't vote with the government would some of this money be held back Have they agreed to always vote with the tories now, regardless..................

People with political knowledge on 07:40 - Jun 28 with 3443 viewsbluelagos

People with political knowledge on 07:31 - Jun 28 by Johnhoz

Thanks Glassers.

So if they didn't vote with the government would some of this money be held back Have they agreed to always vote with the tories now, regardless..................

You make it sounds like a cash for votes arrangement, which of course it is.

For the record, they have agreed to support the Tories on the Queens speech, the budget and Brexit, but have said all other issues will vote as normal.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

People with political knowledge on 07:48 - Jun 28 with 3424 viewsJohnhoz

People with political knowledge on 07:40 - Jun 28 by bluelagos

You make it sounds like a cash for votes arrangement, which of course it is.

For the record, they have agreed to support the Tories on the Queens speech, the budget and Brexit, but have said all other issues will vote as normal.

So will this £1b go towards the fuel subsidy scheme which was so poorly managed. If so...................that gets Arlene Foster out of a bit of a hole!!

People with political knowledge on 07:50 - Jun 28 with 3424 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thanks Glassers.

They have agreed to vote on matters of supply and confidence. That means votes, which should the government lose, would be seen as a vote of no confidence and bringbthe government down. They can vote against other legislation.

Governments often suffer defeats but not in matters of confidence and supply. Budgets, Queen's speech etc.

The money is for the region, not going to the DUP. People seem very annoyed about this but in mainland Europe, where their are more instances of coalitions and minority governments, then negotiations usually involve spending promises on projects supported by the junior partners.

Had a Jezza formed a supply and confidence deal with the SNP or Plaid then increased spending in Scotlandvand Wales would have been part of the arrangement.

Iron Lion Zion

People with political knowledge on 07:52 - Jun 28 with 3412 viewsGlasgowBlue

People with political knowledge on 07:48 - Jun 28 by Johnhoz

So will this £1b go towards the fuel subsidy scheme which was so poorly managed. If so...................that gets Arlene Foster out of a bit of a hole!!

It's going towards health, education and infrastructure.

Iron Lion Zion

People with political knowledge on 07:56 - Jun 28 with 3403 viewsJohnhoz

People with political knowledge on 07:50 - Jun 28 by GlasgowBlue

They have agreed to vote on matters of supply and confidence. That means votes, which should the government lose, would be seen as a vote of no confidence and bringbthe government down. They can vote against other legislation.

Governments often suffer defeats but not in matters of confidence and supply. Budgets, Queen's speech etc.

The money is for the region, not going to the DUP. People seem very annoyed about this but in mainland Europe, where their are more instances of coalitions and minority governments, then negotiations usually involve spending promises on projects supported by the junior partners.

Had a Jezza formed a supply and confidence deal with the SNP or Plaid then increased spending in Scotlandvand Wales would have been part of the arrangement.

I'm just trying to understand how it works. The idea of parties having to work together seems like grown up politics to me. It's good to see parties engaging in dialogue, not just slagging each other. I guess it just seems unfair, to me, that Northern Ireland receive this cash injection but Wales and Scotland do not, for example.

And this comes after Amber Rudd ranting about there not being a magic money tree, or was the money already allocated and is just being shifted around.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 7:58]

Login to get fewer ads

People with political knowledge on 08:05 - Jun 28 with 3385 viewsGlasgowBlue

People with political knowledge on 07:56 - Jun 28 by Johnhoz

I'm just trying to understand how it works. The idea of parties having to work together seems like grown up politics to me. It's good to see parties engaging in dialogue, not just slagging each other. I guess it just seems unfair, to me, that Northern Ireland receive this cash injection but Wales and Scotland do not, for example.

And this comes after Amber Rudd ranting about there not being a magic money tree, or was the money already allocated and is just being shifted around.

The money will be shifted around. As I posted a few days ago, the annual budget is nearly £800 billion a year. It's a bit like you buying a season ticket for £800 and finding out there was a £1 admin charge. Nothing to lose sleep over or wonder how you will find a quid.

Iron Lion Zion

People with political knowledge on 08:16 - Jun 28 with 3356 viewsJohnhoz

People with political knowledge on 08:05 - Jun 28 by GlasgowBlue

The money will be shifted around. As I posted a few days ago, the annual budget is nearly £800 billion a year. It's a bit like you buying a season ticket for £800 and finding out there was a £1 admin charge. Nothing to lose sleep over or wonder how you will find a quid.

Fair enough. I like the analogy

People with political knowledge on 08:42 - Jun 28 with 3327 viewshomer_123

As a young chappy on Victoria Derbyshire asked the other day though.....why now?

Why not 12 months ago, or 3 years ago, or 7 years ago?

I don't believe it was in the manifesto to provide NI with an additional £1bn?

There are no two ways about it (whilst common in Europe) it's less common here. It is cash for support/ votes.

What makes it worse is that the Tories have made it clear there is no Magic Money Tree....I have to say that (as I think J2 mentioned yesterday) it's the Welsh that are likely to be royally peeved with this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

People with political knowledge on 12:43 - Jun 28 with 3261 viewsGuthrum

Thanks Glassers.

An individual MP can always decide to rebel and vote against their own party's position, even if there is a whip on the vote. Tho the consequences of defying a three line whip can be as severe as suspension, or even expulsion, from the party (with resultant loss of support and privileges).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

People with political knowledge on 21:21 - Jun 28 with 3203 viewsHARRY10

People with political knowledge on 07:56 - Jun 28 by Johnhoz

"The idea of parties having to work together seems like grown up politics to me. "

eh ! ! !

More like a third world banana republic. Without a majority the government will have to compromise and make deals that are mainly about staying in power than what is best for te country.

You have around ten MPS holding Parliament to ransom. Not so much the tail wagging the dog, but the flea on the tail wagging the dog

This afternoons vote where 10 DUP MPs supported the government giving them a 14 seat majority highlighted that.

The DUP MPs have been bought which means they cannot vote as they individually see fit, but as those bribes (£1.6bn) dictate.

This stuff takes us back to the days of 'rotten borough' and it stinks. It pees all over democracy. Voters voted for the pledges made by the various partys in their pledges (manifestos). How much of that is and will be dropped to keep in power ? How much will be agreed to that the government did not have a mandate for ?
People with political knowledge on 21:35 - Jun 28 with 3186 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Booking fees by The_Romford_Blue 17 Jun 2017 17:34
Is there anything more irritating than paying for a ticket for something, booking it all yourself only to get told at the end of the transaction that there's also a booking fee of £1 or £2.

It's a liberty.

Like last week, I bought two Royal Ascot tickets for £150 only to get charged a £1 at the end. Why not include that in the Bl00dy price so it doesn't feel like an added kick in the balls.

It's the principle rather than the pound.

Anyone else find it irritating or just me?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024