Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? 10:58 - Jul 8 with 2409 viewswkj

As an Ipswich Town fan we've often seen interviews or articles where the brass of the club have praised our compliance for FFP- Though It seems Wolves have just completed their thrid big money signing in 12 months for £16m

Ivan Cavaleiro - 7m Last summer
Helder Costa - 13m Last Winter
Ruben Neves - 16m This morning

To me I can not fathom a championship team generating enough income from ticket sales and merchandising alone to sustain £36m in transfers not to mention wages.

FFP being a farce in this league does not exactly come as a shock to anyone- but now clubs are blatantly ignoring it putting pressure on other teams to either catch up, or hope for a miracle.

Of course this is no guarentee that wolves will go up - though clubs opperating with this degree of financial flexibility and disregard for the rules surely mocks the EFL and all clubs who are being responsible.

Maybe this is just sour grapes from me as I think most of us would love a rich owner who splashes the cash deep down- though I think the EFL have to get serious about FFP, reform FFP or scrap it all togehter because if this trend continues; the concept of "Fairness" is well and truely borked.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2017 10:59]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:00 - Jul 8 with 2378 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm genuinely far more excited by the signings we're making now than I would be someone like Neves. It's doomed to fail. Should it succeed then the manager there deserves huge credit for keeping it all together but their entire set up is just wrong to me.

I would be amazed if this doesn't end in tears for them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:01 - Jul 8 with 2371 viewswkj

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:00 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

I'm genuinely far more excited by the signings we're making now than I would be someone like Neves. It's doomed to fail. Should it succeed then the manager there deserves huge credit for keeping it all together but their entire set up is just wrong to me.

I would be amazed if this doesn't end in tears for them.

I am thinking it could become another QPR myself too in all honesty

Crybaby

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:03 - Jul 8 with 2362 viewsMullet

Fees are pretty irrelevant to me. I'm never going to be a millionaire so it's just monopoly money to me. I'd just like a level playing field, or something approaching it.

I despise parachute payments and think it's a scandal. I also don't see how FFP can't be enforced. Surely non-compliance means clubs can fook off to some other league and see how they get on.

For me it's just a case of too many snouts in the trough. You'll never see it change from us, the game is too segregated between the boardroom and the terraces let alone the dressing rooms.

I see clubs like Wolves and hope they fail. I see clubs like Wigan buy their way in for a few years and enjoy seeing them floundering in Div 3. But these seems happy accidents, in the mean time I'd hate to be WBA or Stoke. What's the point in that? You're a perennial guest at the top four or five's party hoping to get noticed once or twice.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:07 - Jul 8 with 2348 viewswkj

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:03 - Jul 8 by Mullet

Fees are pretty irrelevant to me. I'm never going to be a millionaire so it's just monopoly money to me. I'd just like a level playing field, or something approaching it.

I despise parachute payments and think it's a scandal. I also don't see how FFP can't be enforced. Surely non-compliance means clubs can fook off to some other league and see how they get on.

For me it's just a case of too many snouts in the trough. You'll never see it change from us, the game is too segregated between the boardroom and the terraces let alone the dressing rooms.

I see clubs like Wolves and hope they fail. I see clubs like Wigan buy their way in for a few years and enjoy seeing them floundering in Div 3. But these seems happy accidents, in the mean time I'd hate to be WBA or Stoke. What's the point in that? You're a perennial guest at the top four or five's party hoping to get noticed once or twice.

Parachute payments are indeed ridiculous - To me it would be far more sensible for the league to subsidise a portion of player's wages on high contracts until they are sold or go back up rather than here you go, have some cash for 2 or 3 years

Crybaby

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:10 - Jul 8 with 2318 viewsMullet

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:07 - Jul 8 by wkj

Parachute payments are indeed ridiculous - To me it would be far more sensible for the league to subsidise a portion of player's wages on high contracts until they are sold or go back up rather than here you go, have some cash for 2 or 3 years

I don't think that's any better. You either sign contracts that protect your club or you suffer the consequences.

It'd make fans more vigilant too instead of just admiring the glow of this massive pissing contest over money and not value.

A few should have gone to the wall by now and until someone loses their club higher up rather than just provincial ones or less fashionable types like Pompey we won't see the game pause for breathe let alone do something.

For example someone like QPR shouldn't be allowed at our level given their recent antics for example. Horrible for their fans, but the kind of push the powers that be need in my opinion.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:35 - Jul 8 with 2255 viewsNazemariner

Football is broken.

The sooner the money dries up, and some big clubs flirt with bankruptcy as happened in Serie A, the better off the game will be.

With the exception of attending Ipswich matches, and moaning about it on here, I have no interest in football whatsoever.

Despise it!
Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 14:06 - Jul 8 with 2055 viewsFixed_It

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 11:35 - Jul 8 by Nazemariner

Football is broken.

The sooner the money dries up, and some big clubs flirt with bankruptcy as happened in Serie A, the better off the game will be.

With the exception of attending Ipswich matches, and moaning about it on here, I have no interest in football whatsoever.

Despise it!

Sadly that's pretty much where I am now. I love ITFC but have little interest in any other football. The game I fell in love with is unrecognisable.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Sour Grapes or Justified Contempt? on 14:29 - Jul 8 with 1992 viewsBent_double

Surely it's no coincidence that they've spent £36m - isn't that the maximum loss allowed over 3 years under FFP?

I don't feel that this is just sour grapes, the majority of football fans - even those of teams in the PL - will probably admit that finances in football are out of control, and it's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down, taking several clubs with it.

Some may argue that there are too many professional clubs in the country, and if a few go to the wall, so what - more revenue for the rest to share? Except it doen't work like that.

Like others have posted here, my only real interest in football is ITFC - I'll watch european games featuring PL sides, or the World Cup, but not with the same levels of interest as Ipswich v Rotherham, for example.

All I want is a level-playing field for clubs in the same league so that we can be competetive. It wouldn't actually feel right if ME suddenly gave MM £30m to buy 2 or 3 'world class' players - it would seem like cheating to me.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024