Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... 13:01 - Aug 15 with 11185 viewsJackSted

Spoke to my boss again today. He wants me to go there asap (like, within next week). Not sure if that's too short of a notice as I've got holiday booked for 2 weeks time .

Plus, he just told me that my expenses won't be payed for by the company so I'll have to pay for rent/travel myself (I'm currently on a 20,000 - 30,000 salary so not sure if that'll be enough).

Any advice?

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:03 - Aug 15 with 6237 viewsTractorCam

Try and convince him to delay the placement until after your holiday, if they really want you to go there then the ball is in your court.

No idea why they're asking you to pay for expenses

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:04 - Aug 15 with 6232 viewsBOjK

Tell them to go f*** themselves. Anyone here who is required to go on secondment for that length of time gets all their costs paid and a reasonable bonus as well.

Regarding the holidays saying you can't go till after your holidays is entirely reasonable.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:05 - Aug 15 with 6216 viewsitfcjoe

That seems a little bit tight and that they are trying to take advantage - I'd dig my heels in and at least try and get accomodation paid for as realistically you are going to struggle to get a 6 month rented sorted so quickly so could end up expensive

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:05 - Aug 15 with 6218 viewsPrideOfTheEast

You're working away on business and they are not paying or at least contributing towards your accommodation. That's odd.
UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:06 - Aug 15 with 6190 viewsReuser_is_God

No that's wrong, they should be paying accommodation for you.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:07 - Aug 15 with 6179 viewshype313

There are having a laugh if they expect you to up sticks over there and pay it all by yourself.

That being said, great place to spend 6 months.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:09 - Aug 15 with 6163 viewsJackSted

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:03 - Aug 15 by TractorCam

Try and convince him to delay the placement until after your holiday, if they really want you to go there then the ball is in your court.

No idea why they're asking you to pay for expenses

The reason they're not offering to pay my expenses is because the company don't want to spend any more money than they already do. He said that for them to put me in a hotel for 6 months would cost the company too much money

TWTD Supervillain

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:09 - Aug 15 with 6153 viewsPrideOfTheEast

What size org do you work for?

As a benchmark, I did a similar thing about 10 years ago and did a stint in the Netherlands. I had a flat fully paid for, including bills, obviously flights there and back and then 2x return flights home paid for and a daily cash allowance (something like EUR40 I think).
Login to get fewer ads

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:09 - Aug 15 with 6139 viewsPrideOfTheEast

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:09 - Aug 15 by JackSted

The reason they're not offering to pay my expenses is because the company don't want to spend any more money than they already do. He said that for them to put me in a hotel for 6 months would cost the company too much money

Tell them to rent you an apartment.
UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 with 6138 viewsFixed_It

From what you said before, you are quite young. Methinks they are trying to take advantage of that fact. It's a big ask to expect you to go over there for 6 months and not help in any way.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 with 6132 viewsbluefunk

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:07 - Aug 15 by hype313

There are having a laugh if they expect you to up sticks over there and pay it all by yourself.

That being said, great place to spend 6 months.

It is but not so great in the winter months, which is when he's going to be there. Especially if he is paying for his accomodation
UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 with 6132 viewsBarcaBlue

My daughter was studying in Barcelona last year paying €1100 / month rent (split between 3) 20 minutes on the tube from the centre. 3 month metro ticket is around €100.

Personally I think it's a bit tight from the employer not paying towards the stay but I'd still grab the chance.
UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 with 6132 viewsJackSted

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:09 - Aug 15 by PrideOfTheEast

What size org do you work for?

As a benchmark, I did a similar thing about 10 years ago and did a stint in the Netherlands. I had a flat fully paid for, including bills, obviously flights there and back and then 2x return flights home paid for and a daily cash allowance (something like EUR40 I think).

I work for a national newspaper (The Times, and Sunday Times)

TWTD Supervillain

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 with 6123 viewshype313

That's their problem, not yours.

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:11 - Aug 15 with 6101 viewsDyland

The company should pay your travel expenses, plus accommodation costs until you've found somewhere to rent. Categorically non-negotiable.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:12 - Aug 15 with 6089 viewsReuser_is_God

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 by JackSted

And they can;t afford 6k's worth of accommodation?

Bollox.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:12 - Aug 15 with 6080 viewsBOjK

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 by hype313

That's their problem, not yours.

And of course they won't put you in a hotel for 6 months. They should put you in an apartment. Really does sound like they are taking the p..s here.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:13 - Aug 15 with 6062 viewshype313

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:12 - Aug 15 by Reuser_is_God

And they can;t afford 6k's worth of accommodation?

Bollox.

Especially given the sky high paywall costs they charge.

That answers it on 13:14 - Aug 15 with 6048 viewsDyland

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:10 - Aug 15 by JackSted

They are taking the p1ss mate. If one of the world's biggest media conglomerates need to second a junior member of the IT staff to another city, they need to pay your travel expenses and reasonable hotel costs until you can find rented accommodation. The end.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:16 - Aug 15 with 6006 viewsKieran_Knows

That's ridiculous.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:17 - Aug 15 with 6004 viewsJackSted

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:06 - Aug 15 by Reuser_is_God

No that's wrong, they should be paying accommodation for you.

Just had another quick chat with my boss and he said they are not willing to pay accommodation but said they will give me some sort of transfer fee (I'm guessing a small sum on money to help with my first months rent or something haha)

TWTD Supervillain

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:18 - Aug 15 with 5985 viewsusm

Theyre taking the mick - or at least theyre trying to.

Tell them you'll go, but only after your holiday and if they pay for your travel and contribute towards your rent (plus paying hotel costs while you look for somewhere to rent).

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:19 - Aug 15 with 5969 viewsColchesterBlue1985

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:17 - Aug 15 by JackSted

Just had another quick chat with my boss and he said they are not willing to pay accommodation but said they will give me some sort of transfer fee (I'm guessing a small sum on money to help with my first months rent or something haha)

I would say sorry you will have to find someone else then who is willing to do it on that basis.
UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:21 - Aug 15 with 5943 viewsTractorCam

Great opportunity, but not for you having to pay your own wages, turn it down

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

UPDATE on the 6 month Barcelona contract... on 13:21 - Aug 15 with 5937 viewstractorboy1978

Are they paying for your flights? They are taking the piss quite frankly and trying to take advantage of you. I can assure you they wouldn't try this nonsense with someone older. It would cost them a damn sight more to employ an external temp with the adequate skills on a 6 month contract.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024