Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) 16:37 - Aug 26 with 12813 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 19:05 - Aug 28 with 1583 viewsHarryfromBath

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 18:51 - Aug 28 by brogansnose

Skusey did alright Harry. If anything the boy Downes in there with him would have helped which is possibly an oversight on Micks part.

For people to say he's terrible is plain daft.

Reading the reports, I wondered if this game could have been a free hit for Downes, even if Mick has brought him on from the bench. If Flynn had been told just to do his best to try and stop Cairney and reduce his effectiveness by even 50 per cent, if might have given his team-mates a chance to get a foothold in the game.

Only Mick will truly know what the young lad's capabilities are and he may have been bushed after the Palace game. We won't come up against a tougher midfield this season and I thought it unfair to dig Skuse out given all the circumstances. You are right - saying Skuse is terrible is nonsensical.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 20:21 - Aug 28 with 1552 viewspowinswitch

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 19:05 - Aug 28 by HarryfromBath

Reading the reports, I wondered if this game could have been a free hit for Downes, even if Mick has brought him on from the bench. If Flynn had been told just to do his best to try and stop Cairney and reduce his effectiveness by even 50 per cent, if might have given his team-mates a chance to get a foothold in the game.

Only Mick will truly know what the young lad's capabilities are and he may have been bushed after the Palace game. We won't come up against a tougher midfield this season and I thought it unfair to dig Skuse out given all the circumstances. You are right - saying Skuse is terrible is nonsensical.

I am no fan of Cole Skuse, but he is not terrible. I feel he is quite one dimensional, in that he is good at breaking up play. Fair one he does that quite well. But he is poor when we are on the ball. He rarely, very rarely plays on the half turn, and therefore quite often when a centre back passes it to him, he passes it back to that cab or another defender. He rarely plays a penetrating pass, and actually a forward pass is not common. He slows our momentum down, should he receive the ball when we are in possession. So if you are going to play Skuse, then you need to have a game winner beside him. In my opinion
Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 21:38 - Aug 28 with 1532 viewsHarryfromBath

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 20:21 - Aug 28 by powinswitch

I am no fan of Cole Skuse, but he is not terrible. I feel he is quite one dimensional, in that he is good at breaking up play. Fair one he does that quite well. But he is poor when we are on the ball. He rarely, very rarely plays on the half turn, and therefore quite often when a centre back passes it to him, he passes it back to that cab or another defender. He rarely plays a penetrating pass, and actually a forward pass is not common. He slows our momentum down, should he receive the ball when we are in possession. So if you are going to play Skuse, then you need to have a game winner beside him. In my opinion

I agree that he needs to be in the right blend to get the best out of him. From what I have seen of him this season he seems to have been encouraged to get forward more frequently and I wonder if this is because he can not be purely so defensive in a midfield pair. That said, it was an almost impossible task in hindsight playing him alongside Ward against that Fulham trio.

It's funny how getting the balance right in midfield can augment or diminish players. I was looking at QPR today and they were saying how adding the terrier-like Josh Scowen and creative Luke Freeman has transformed Massimo Luongo's play. Getting attacking or central-defensive partnerships right can improve individual players or the balance of the team, but it seems to be doubly or triply so in central midfield.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 22:55 - Aug 28 with 1505 viewsunstableblue

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 18:32 - Aug 28 by HarryfromBath

It might also be helpful to remember that Skuse was ill last week. Here's the relevant quote from Phil's piece on Thursday:

"Regarding Town’s other ill and injured, he added: “Skusey hasn’t trained, as you know, he was ill. He hardly carries that much weight Skusey to be able to lose too much, although diarrhoea and sickness is no good for anybody.

“But he’s been out and had a jog today, I’m sure he’ll be all right tomorrow I’m certain. But he couldn’t do too much today in case it weakened him and affected him for tomorrow and Saturday."

The players are not robots and Skuse was the only front-line midfielder who could play so had to start. It's easy to forget - with the spotlight on our lack of centre-halves - that Skuse has been holding the midfield together this month with Ward as an improvised partner.

A less than 100 per cent Skuse plus Ward up against Cairney, Johansen and McDonald was always going to be tough ask. Perhaps is best to say that we literally ran out of legs on Saturday rather than digging out one player who has kept the team knitted together in our previous victories.

Thanks Harry. Useful info as always.

Just to be clear this message was sent from the ground in the second half as Skuse yet again failed to close the opposition, and failed to read the game. It was of course emotive and probably a little silly. But it was a disappointing afternoon.

My other commens later were:

"BUT we could have got into them with some energy... which we should have had, having rested Tuesday.

Skuse was awful.

Downes should start for me.

Skuse turns up for 1 in 3 at best 1 in 2; and that's not enough.

Of course Fulham were far superior - but you have to give them a game"

Fair enough if Skuse was not fully fit; as he needed to be as you rightly state Fulham outnumbered and outclassed us in that department.

Ward was also poor, really poor, which further challenged Skuse. And as you say ward is a makeshift partner.

It was frustrating because for a passage in the first half and at the start of the second we genuinely challenged and worried Fulham. It all had to do with some energy and aggression and speed of passing. And Skuse was involved with a crunching tackle and a good pass.

It's been a great start to the season, Millwall away sensational. Skuse was funnily quite poor at times in that game. But we had a lot of energy throughout the team on that night.

My opinion remains that Skuse is not consistently strong and effective in games, through his time at Town. I'll praise him to the hilt when he performs. I just don't think it's often enough. But hey what do I know. And let's face it Ipswich can hardly afford the quality of player needed to transform our central mid. My hope is that Downes can be that player.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 10:59 - Aug 29 with 1438 viewsPilgrimblue

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 22:55 - Aug 28 by unstableblue

Just to be clear this message was sent from the ground in the second half as Skuse yet again failed to close the opposition, and failed to read the game. It was of course emotive and probably a little silly. But it was a disappointing afternoon.

"BUT we could have got into them with some energy... which we should have had, having rested Tuesday.

Skuse was awful.

Fair enough if Skuse was not fully fit; as he needed to be as you rightly state Fulham outnumbered and outclassed us in that department.

Ward was also poor, really poor, which further challenged Skuse. And as you say ward is a makeshift partner.

It was frustrating because for a passage in the first half and at the start of the second we genuinely challenged and worried Fulham. It all had to do with some energy and aggression and speed of passing. And Skuse was involved with a crunching tackle and a good pass.

It's been a great start to the season, Millwall away sensational. Skuse was funnily quite poor at times in that game. But we had a lot of energy throughout the team on that night.

My opinion remains that Skuse is not consistently strong and effective in games, through his time at Town. I'll praise him to the hilt when he performs. I just don't think it's often enough. But hey what do I know. And let's face it Ipswich can hardly afford the quality of player needed to transform our central mid. My hope is that Downes can be that player.

Having a player that breaks up attacks is for me no better than an extra defender. Against Fulham Skusy did try but I lost count how many times he returned a pass back to defender. He refuses to turn (almost like he's got blinkers!) and so denies himself the space to move forward. He can do it but just puts more pressure on the defenders to pass/clear.
I agree that he needs support but not from Sears and Waggy. I accept that we're short of options but Mick should have played Downes in centre with Ward and Rowe/Celina wide. That way we'd have helped our full backs from being overrun and given a base to counter-attack.
Sadly we lost it before we even started and doubt if other teams will make same mistake against Fulham.
Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 11:03 - Aug 29 with 1433 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 22:55 - Aug 28 by unstableblue

Skuse was awful.

Top post.
Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 11:17 - Aug 29 with 1425 viewsbournemouthblue

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 16:46 - Aug 26 by crunchie1978

No he doesn't.....and if his only job is to protect the back four then 2nil down at home you'd have to take him off....he offers nothing going forward at all what so ever.

For all the Diagouraga doubters, he was a far more positive forward thinking footballer than Skuse

Skuse is a decent defensive shield but lacks agility and has a shocking range of passing imho, we've always struggled when outnumbered in midfield under McCarthy. That's partly down to Skuse being slow and over run by more mobile midfield units.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 12:40 - Aug 29 with 1396 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse is feckin terrible (n/t) on 11:17 - Aug 29 by bournemouthblue

For all the Diagouraga doubters, he was a far more positive forward thinking footballer than Skuse

Skuse is a decent defensive shield but lacks agility and has a shocking range of passing imho, we've always struggled when outnumbered in midfield under McCarthy. That's partly down to Skuse being slow and over run by more mobile midfield units.

I agree with all of that, except the bit about him being a decent defensive unit. Average, at best.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024