Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel Advice 09:28 - Sep 4 with 4318 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Budapest and Venice in particular..

I am spending 48 in Budapest, followed by 72 hours in Venice and wanted consult the good folk of TWTD for any helpful tips, places to eat, must see's, hidden gems and perhaps most importantly, what to avoid.
Travel Advice on 11:32 - Sep 4 with 4256 viewsMookamoo

Worth a visit
http://szechenyispabaths.com/
Travel Advice on 11:42 - Sep 4 with 4250 viewsSteve_M

For Venice, I only spent a day there at the start of a trip and hadn't really got a plan. That's not a good idea....

Be prepared for it to be busy, so have a degree of patience ready for loud Americans swooning with excitement, especially if a liner has just come in. A daily boat pass wasn't too expensive though so that gives a good amount of flexibility. I quite enjoyed just wondering the back streets/canals away from the main tourist areas too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Travel Advice on 12:34 - Sep 4 with 4205 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Travel Advice on 11:32 - Sep 4 by Mookamoo

Worth a visit
http://szechenyispabaths.com/

I best remember to pack my trunks then..

We're staying close to the Parliament building so planning a good few hours just wondering around
Travel Advice on 13:13 - Sep 4 with 4179 viewsMookamoo

Travel Advice on 12:34 - Sep 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I best remember to pack my trunks then..

We're staying close to the Parliament building so planning a good few hours just wondering around

Budapest is great for just wandering about and eating cake.

Read up on the 1956 revolution and look out for the bullet holes.
Travel Advice on 16:41 - Sep 4 with 4124 viewsbluefunk

Budapest - fantastic for relatively recent history, from the Nazi occupation to the Soviet era, there's loads to see just wandering around, on both sides of the river, plus loads of bars and cafes for stopping off. It's also pretty cheap.

Venice - hopefully there isn't a cruise ship in when you're there, but again just wandering around is recommended, especially as you have longer there. If funds allow, a boat trip from the station down the Grand Canal is recommended, (although you can also do it via public "bus") and for a great value lunch there's a little pizzeria restaurant next to the Rialto bridge on the St Marks side where you can watch the traffic on the Grand Canal
Travel Advice on 18:37 - Sep 4 with 4106 viewsMarcFowler

I went to Venice for my honeymoon, and that place.. man. Favourite place in the whole world. I would move there in a heartbeat.

Steer clear of San Marco; it's just expensive and full of bloody people. It doesn't feel like the rest of Venice - you can literally walk 5 minutes in any direction, and the atmosphere is totally different. You will be tripping over churches with so much history and art in them, and you can cross the entire city - easily - several times a day on foot if you want to get round to things. Grab a choral pass and you can go to all the churches, and that will fill you up on art I'm sure. We had a water bus pass, but the whole place is much smaller than you think and so you really don't need them if you don't mind walking a little.

The churches are full of art, so I'd even miss the museums etc. Best advice I can give is to just breath it in, because it's so different to anywhere else. Get to the morning markets if you can, try and catch a show (we saw a Vivaldi concert, and it was amazing), and eat all the seafood! Lagoon shrimp! Get over to San Giorgio for a great view across the city too.

Oh, and I'd also advise against going out to the islands of Murano and Burano too, which I guess other people might not say.. but we found them to take up the entire day, and really didn't gain that much from them! If you've only got 3 there, I wouldn't spend one going to those.

Oh, and if you want to get on a gondola but don't want to splurge, you can hop on a ~3 minute ride straight across the canal for about 1E each on a traghetto. Same boats, but it's a straight and super fast ride. It's not the full experience of course, but, it is like 100E cheaper!

Marc Fowler

Travel Advice on 18:52 - Sep 4 with 4097 viewsElderGrizzly

Go and find the statue of Colombo!
Travel Advice on 20:03 - Sep 4 with 4069 viewsPinewoodblue

Curious to know how you are getting from Budapest to Venice.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Travel Advice on 23:10 - Sep 4 with 4028 viewsWaffer

The best food I had in Budapest was at The Trofea Grill ( http://www.trofeagrill.net/en/node). 2 hours of all you can eat and drink. You pick the meat and they cook, plus much more. Think it only cost about 14 euro about 2 years ago.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 23:14]
Travel Advice on 23:13 - Sep 4 with 4024 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Definitely fly with Virgin and hire an Audi !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Travel Advice on 23:44 - Sep 4 with 4003 viewsCurrie10

DEFO the baths in Budapest, unbelievable.
Travel Advice on 08:22 - Sep 5 with 3949 viewsbluelou

Lots of Budapest advice in this thread
https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/359028/page:1

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Travel Advice on 08:28 - Sep 5 with 3947 viewsFreddies_Ears

All the above Venice advice is sound.

I would add, try to make sure you are there through the evening. Once the tourists retreat to their hotels, the daytrippers are gone, and the cruiseshippers re-embarked, the city gets so serene.

And don't cheat by googlemapping your way around - getting lost is part of the fun!
Travel Advice on 08:54 - Sep 5 with 3934 viewsRadlett_blue

Do the Doge's Palace. The audio tour is very good & clear.
Make sure you wander over the Rialto Bridge. When I went, it was covered in a canvas Samsung advert - urghh!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Travel Advice on 09:25 - Sep 5 with 3926 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Travel Advice on 20:03 - Sep 4 by Pinewoodblue

Curious to know how you are getting from Budapest to Venice.

Ryanair. £20 ticket.

Unless the answer is B.A First Class with an Audi taxi transfer
Travel Advice on 10:43 - Sep 5 with 3913 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Travel Advice on 08:22 - Sep 5 by bluelou

Lots of Budapest advice in this thread
https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/359028/page:1

Page 1 had some really good tips..

Pages 2 to 6 were solely debating the exploitation of dwarves and strippers on stag do's etc. etc.

As I'm going with the missus, I won't be able to partake in such activities
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024