Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptop Advice.... 10:53 - Sep 7 with 4924 viewsReuser_is_God

What it will be used for:

Microsoft office
Web browsing

That's literally it - budget approx £300

What does TWTD recommend?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Laptop Advice.... on 11:01 - Sep 7 with 4913 viewsfooters

Just bought an Acer for £250 as my old Toshiba died of water (beer) damage. I wish I hadn't. A real case of 'buy cheap, pay twice'. I only use mine for the same as what you're describing but it's slow as anything, connectivity is rubbish and the screen is quite small. So if you can stretch to something like £350, I'd do that.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Laptop Advice.... on 11:02 - Sep 7 with 4900 viewsKieran_Knows

Get an iPad?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Laptop Advice.... on 11:03 - Sep 7 with 4891 viewsReuser_is_God

Laptop Advice.... on 11:01 - Sep 7 by footers

Just bought an Acer for £250 as my old Toshiba died of water (beer) damage. I wish I hadn't. A real case of 'buy cheap, pay twice'. I only use mine for the same as what you're describing but it's slow as anything, connectivity is rubbish and the screen is quite small. So if you can stretch to something like £350, I'd do that.

I'm also getting rid of an Acer for the same reasons

Evans out

Laptop Advice.... on 11:03 - Sep 7 with 4892 viewsipswich78

I'd consider an iPad or Android Tablet. Both will do what you need and will be quicker, better battery life and more portable.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Laptop Advice.... on 11:03 - Sep 7 with 4886 viewsReuser_is_God

Laptop Advice.... on 11:02 - Sep 7 by Kieran_Knows

Get an iPad?

Not great for Excel Word etc

Evans out

Laptop Advice.... on 11:08 - Sep 7 with 4873 viewsipswich78

Laptop Advice.... on 11:03 - Sep 7 by Reuser_is_God

They might surprise you? I guess it all depends on how much you use Word / Excel. As mentioned above for £300 you are buying a laptop right at the bottom of the pile, it will give you a very poor user experience.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Laptop Advice.... on 11:59 - Sep 7 with 4831 viewsRamRob

You can use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse if that's the problem

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Laptop Advice.... on 12:53 - Sep 7 with 4790 viewsDurovigutum

Second hand Asus ux305
Login to get fewer ads

Laptop Advice.... on 13:13 - Sep 7 with 4750 viewsDeano69

I'm also getting rid of an Acer for the same reasons

I would give up IT altogether if Acer was the only option, appalling kit (and company). Once had to return 110 out of 110 laptops from an order (admittedly sometime ago) I then lost out on the additional warranty we paid for as the pack needed to be hand written and posted individually to Italy, we had sent them all in one envelope.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Laptop Advice.... on 13:37 - Sep 7 with 4724 viewsDarkHorse

Keep an eye on Dell Outlet store. Nothing in your budget right now, but there will be. Their "scratch and dent" machines are just open box returns, in my experience, and you generally get a lot more for your money than buying brand new.

Would recommend pushing your budget up to £350-400 if possible though. You'll get a lot more for your money. I don't like Acer, but this is a good spec for £390:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/acer-spin-5-133-inch-ci3-8gb-128gb-laptop-black

Another option would be to get a chromebook and use google docs instead of Office.
Laptop Advice.... on 13:39 - Sep 7 with 4718 viewsDarkHorse

This looks good for £350:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-Inspiron-15-5000-15

Red ones go faster, innit.
Laptop Advice.... on 17:02 - Sep 7 with 4654 viewsMark

Acer is getting a hard time, but I find their laptops okay. Batteries last well, build OK for the money, fans relatively quiet. If they are slow it is probably to do with the processor, RAM and hard drive rather than the brand! Check the processor speed on www.cpubenchmark.net before buying, and look for a fast SSD rather than an HDD if you don't needs lots of storage. Also, think about the screen and whether you want HD or full HD.
Laptop Advice.... on 17:28 - Sep 7 with 4632 viewsWonky

Mark is right if you can do your homework processor/memory and search Amazon etc there is good value, it's a competitive market for the tech savvy.

On the other hand you can walk into Comet etc and spend the same and get far less. To the layman one laptop looks pretty similar to another.
Laptop Advice.... on 18:00 - Sep 7 with 4619 viewsDeano69

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7529687?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200223050

Laptop Advice.... on 21:00 - Sep 7 with 4572 viewsMark

Laptop Advice.... on 18:00 - Sep 7 by Deano69

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7529687?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200223050

Lightweight and 256GB SSD is good, but fairly slow processor (1889 points on CPU benchmark), screen a bit smaller than standard and not full HD, no DVD drive, HP can be unreliable with noisy fans.
Laptop Advice.... on 21:04 - Sep 7 with 4569 viewsMark

One like this with full HD screen, i3 processor, SSD and 6GB RAM is quite good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-ES1-571-34DU

Very had these new for about £330 recently, but don't seem to now.
Laptop Advice.... on 21:32 - Sep 7 with 4545 viewsWonky

Laptop Advice.... on 21:04 - Sep 7 by Mark

One like this with full HD screen, i3 processor, SSD and 6GB RAM is quite good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-ES1-571-34DU

Very had these new for about £330 recently, but don't seem to now.

Yes good value, even a low i3 will easily out perform Celeron/pentium. Fast laptops die a death because windows is never reinstalled on the hdd drive, so the SSD will hold up the speed for much longer.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 21:33]
Laptop Advice.... on 22:10 - Sep 7 with 4512 viewstcblue

£350 is more than enough for your needs, not sure why people are telling you about processors when you're looking at browsing the internet and Office. If those are truly your only requirements and you're going to be connected to the internet most of the time I would look at Chromebooks.

Simple, fast and MUCH slower to become obsolete
Laptop Advice.... on 22:59 - Sep 7 with 4483 viewsMark

Laptop Advice.... on 22:10 - Sep 7 by tcblue

£350 is more than enough for your needs, not sure why people are telling you about processors when you're looking at browsing the internet and Office. If those are truly your only requirements and you're going to be connected to the internet most of the time I would look at Chromebooks.

Simple, fast and MUCH slower to become obsolete

A Chromebook like this could well be a good idea.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6344612

Read up on the pros and cons first though.
Laptop Advice.... on 01:35 - Sep 8 with 4449 viewsjeera

I bought a cheap HP ages ago for £220 from ebuyer. 3 years or so ago...?

The CD/DVD player on it is a bit 'whirry' nowadays but I barely use that enough to care. I use a tablet mostly for browsing but the laptop works just fine for that too and does the office type stuff perfectly ok.

I did replace the old drive after I once knocked the thing off the coffee table and it started playing up. I put in an SSD instead which made it less vulnerable to damage and it was all good from there. I blame Bully in part for the damage as I had been reading one his posts at the time I stood up and caught my foot on the attached cable, which then dragged it off the table...

Seems a clear case to me.

I'm sure you want something nicer and so do I when this one finally fails. I'm just saying don't pay out for the sake of it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Laptop Advice.... on 12:11 - Sep 9 with 4328 viewsMark

I bought one of these recently, a real bargain for just over £200 with an SSD, full HD screen and processor which scores 2019 points on CPU benchmark. Refurbished (good as new) with a 12 month warranty from Littlewoods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-ES1-533-P7T9

1% Topcashback available too.
Laptop Advice.... on 14:43 - Sep 9 with 4276 viewsDeano69

Laptop Advice.... on 21:00 - Sep 7 by Mark

Lightweight and 256GB SSD is good, but fairly slow processor (1889 points on CPU benchmark), screen a bit smaller than standard and not full HD, no DVD drive, HP can be unreliable with noisy fans.

Plenty quick enough for ms office and web browsing. Have sold 100's of HP laptops, their fans are no noisier than others I have come across. It was simply top of a google search at the price point and in stock

Laptop Advice.... on 15:03 - Sep 9 with 4254 viewsjeera

Laptop Advice.... on 14:43 - Sep 9 by Deano69

Plenty quick enough for ms office and web browsing. Have sold 100's of HP laptops, their fans are no noisier than others I have come across. It was simply top of a google search at the price point and in stock

Best thing I ever bought was a tray/stand for this HP laptop. The last one I had pretty much melted inside and the fan made a racket. It would - I'd suffocated it.

I can't even hear the fan on this HP. Bit of pressurised air once in a while and that's if and when I remember. I think the tray was 2 quid or something daft.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Laptop Advice.... on 15:20 - Sep 9 with 4246 viewsCBBlue

Laptop Advice.... on 22:59 - Sep 7 by Mark

A Chromebook like this could well be a good idea.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6344612

Read up on the pros and cons first though.

I've had a Chromebook for a couple of years and tbh I'm often swearing about/at it. Maybe I'm not IT savvy enough but I struggle with google docs and find I can't open some microsoft attachments sent to me and I've had people saying they can't open the google docs I've sent to them. Like I say it perhaps says more about my abilities than the system but if I need to do any word or excel documents to send to people I now just use my other half's windows based laptop instead.

The need for an internet connection also annoys when I need to do some work somewhere that doesn't have good internet access or free wifi.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024