Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position 13:36 - Oct 30 with 11433 views12th_Man

Check out @Stuart_Watson’s Tweet:
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 13:45]

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position on 14:11 - Oct 30 with 2850 viewsJ2BLUE

But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position on 13:54 - Oct 30 by Steve_M

Tim Sherwood would only be that only if one were to believe his own publicity. He has done nothing to suggest he could do a good job here, indeed he has had a very short good run of results twice that swiftly faded to rubbishness.

He's the sort of manager we could get. That's the level we'll be looking at. People need to think very carefully before calling for MM to be sacked.

Sherwood's Villa side was crap and I don't think anyone else could have done any better. It has taken a long time for them to start to turn the corner.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cardiff spent.... on 14:12 - Oct 30 with 2848 viewsBloots

Very True on 14:00 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

i don't think Cardiff have spent a huge amount and Preston were riding high until recently.

i'm not arguing that spending money isn't an advantage, clearly it is, i am arguing that it is not a miracle event to spend a small amount and be successful.

....£5m on 3 players in the summer!!

Tomlin, Ward and Bogle.

It's easy to make claims about our transfer policy, but the reality is that it just doesn't stack up.

Sorry.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position on 14:13 - Oct 30 with 2844 viewsArcher4721

But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position on 14:11 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

He's the sort of manager we could get. That's the level we'll be looking at. People need to think very carefully before calling for MM to be sacked.

Sherwood's Villa side was crap and I don't think anyone else could have done any better. It has taken a long time for them to start to turn the corner.

And under a "dinosaur" manager too.
Up vote for.... on 14:13 - Oct 30 with 2845 viewsBloots

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:08 - Oct 30 by Bobbychase

I think everyone can agree Evans needs to invest more.

Sheff Utd - momentum is the main thing in their story, rather than investment. They're not the first to be slingshotted from League One to the upper reaches of the Championship.

...."slingshotted".

Brilliant made up word.

Sounds rude, but isn't.

Cardiff spent.... on 14:15 - Oct 30 with 2837 viewsCaptainObvious

Cardiff spent.... on 14:12 - Oct 30 by Bloots

....£5m on 3 players in the summer!!

Tomlin, Ward and Bogle.

It's easy to make claims about our transfer policy, but the reality is that it just doesn't stack up.

Sorry.

They sold Huws to us for £1m-ish. Although people are claiming it was 50p or something now. And in this particular reply, I wasn't claiming are spending was at the same level as Cardiff, I was just naming a top-8 side that hadn't spent a huge amount of money.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Very True on 14:18 - Oct 30 with 2832 viewsCaptainObvious

Very True on 13:57 - Oct 30 by ITFCBlues

We're probably overachieving in reality aren't we? Top half etc...

We also only spent just over 1m this summer. You can't expect to compete on that type of budget. That's the reality.

If we finish in the top half then yes that could be said to be overachieving. We've played four teams in the top half so far though accruing 0 points, so it is a finish that is far from guaranteed.

Up vote for.... on 14:20 - Oct 30 with 2819 viewsBobbychase

Up vote for.... on 14:13 - Oct 30 by Bloots

...."slingshotted".

Brilliant made up word.

Sounds rude, but isn't.

I tried to think of an actual word but nothing came to mind.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

A club that spent.... on 14:21 - Oct 30 with 2821 viewsCaptainObvious

A club that spent.... on 14:05 - Oct 30 by Archer4721

Not in fees no.

i have found one site saying £1.2m and twtd saying approaching £1m. Do you have some evidence to suggest it was much lower? Happy to be corrected if so.

Login to get fewer ads

A club that spent.... on 14:25 - Oct 30 with 2804 viewsArcher4721

A club that spent.... on 14:21 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

i have found one site saying £1.2m and twtd saying approaching £1m. Do you have some evidence to suggest it was much lower? Happy to be corrected if so.

Yes the fee was nominal. As the player was still under contract they had to contribute to paying part of his contract up.
Obviously the reality is that.... on 14:26 - Oct 30 with 2800 viewsBloots

Very True on 14:09 - Oct 30 by SWGF

If we accept that we're a midtable team, will lose as many as we win, etc, could a new manager get a more aesthetically pleasing style of play out of the current squad yet maintain the status quo?

....nobody knows.

Despite the incoherent rambling rants from both camps.

Evans appears to be uber cautious, so if it comes to "stick or twist" he's likely to stick.

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:27 - Oct 30 with 2798 viewsSuperfrans

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:04 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

Don't forget they are starting from a lower base, ie the majority of the squad from League One.

But yes, Mr Evans should put in more can't argue with that.

The advantage of coming up from league one are the momentum you have, after a season of winning football - and a squad on relatively low salaries, freeing up resource for acquiring new players. Something we have neither of.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

They have compared to us though.... on 14:28 - Oct 30 with 2797 viewsBloots

Cardiff spent.... on 14:15 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

They sold Huws to us for £1m-ish. Although people are claiming it was 50p or something now. And in this particular reply, I wasn't claiming are spending was at the same level as Cardiff, I was just naming a top-8 side that hadn't spent a huge amount of money.

...that's all I'm saying.

An extra £3m on players would make a huge difference to us.

Danny Ward is a perfect example.

We wanted him, he was out of our budget, they signed him.

Simple economics innit.

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:30 - Oct 30 with 2795 viewsCaptainObvious

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:27 - Oct 30 by Superfrans

The advantage of coming up from league one are the momentum you have, after a season of winning football - and a squad on relatively low salaries, freeing up resource for acquiring new players. Something we have neither of.

I think you're overplaying that somewhat.. Bolton won a lot of games last season i would imagine and they don't have any momentum. i think people just apply the term to a promoted side that has done well without really considering the ones that haven't.

Surely some of their players would be getting new contracts and pay rises as well.

Obviously the reality is that.... on 14:30 - Oct 30 with 2796 viewsSWGF

Obviously the reality is that.... on 14:26 - Oct 30 by Bloots

....nobody knows.

Despite the incoherent rambling rants from both camps.

Evans appears to be uber cautious, so if it comes to "stick or twist" he's likely to stick.

I can't see it being "stick". I can see us getting to April and it being "we're not going to get relegated or be in the top six, so let's all shake hands and agree we gave it our best shot".

Then appoint a middle-aged, British/Irish manager who'd previously won promotion to the Premier League, rinse and repeat.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

They have compared to us though.... on 14:34 - Oct 30 with 2789 viewsCaptainObvious

They have compared to us though.... on 14:28 - Oct 30 by Bloots

...that's all I'm saying.

An extra £3m on players would make a huge difference to us.

Danny Ward is a perfect example.

We wanted him, he was out of our budget, they signed him.

Simple economics innit.

Again i am already in agreement Cardiff's budget was higher. Although i though Ward chose Cardiff over Ipswich because of the Warnock link as opposed to us having a bid rejected.

A club that spent.... on 14:35 - Oct 30 with 2788 viewsCaptainObvious

A club that spent.... on 14:25 - Oct 30 by Archer4721

Yes the fee was nominal. As the player was still under contract they had to contribute to paying part of his contract up.

No i mean do you have some evidence that it was nominal, like a quote from the club or a report on twtd etc.

You may well be right.... on 14:36 - Oct 30 with 2786 viewsBloots

They have compared to us though.... on 14:34 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

Again i am already in agreement Cardiff's budget was higher. Although i though Ward chose Cardiff over Ipswich because of the Warnock link as opposed to us having a bid rejected.

.....but I still doubt we would have paid £1.6m for him anyway.

#evansout

Probably, but the big variable..... on 14:37 - Oct 30 with 2783 viewsBloots

Obviously the reality is that.... on 14:30 - Oct 30 by SWGF

I can't see it being "stick". I can see us getting to April and it being "we're not going to get relegated or be in the top six, so let's all shake hands and agree we gave it our best shot".

Then appoint a middle-aged, British/Irish manager who'd previously won promotion to the Premier League, rinse and repeat.

....in that scenario is "repeat".

I heard that it was.... on 14:39 - Oct 30 with 2778 viewsBloots

A club that spent.... on 14:35 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

No i mean do you have some evidence that it was nominal, like a quote from the club or a report on twtd etc.

...about £400K.

But I can't for the life of me think where from.

As a result and to make my argument more valid, I'm going to assume we got him for free.

So there!

Of course it could be that..... on 15:03 - Oct 30 with 2729 viewsBloots

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:30 - Oct 30 by CaptainObvious

I think you're overplaying that somewhat.. Bolton won a lot of games last season i would imagine and they don't have any momentum. i think people just apply the term to a promoted side that has done well without really considering the ones that haven't.

Surely some of their players would be getting new contracts and pay rises as well.

...their spending on new recruits in the summer was precisely £0.

Maybe.

But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position on 15:04 - Oct 30 with 2735 viewsNo9

It was quite disconcerting to hear it suggested on the radio that despite being at ITFC for 5 years MM still doesn't know what his best line up is.
Goes hand in hand with the round pegs in square holes
But we won't need 20 million just play the players in correct position on 15:18 - Oct 30 with 2712 viewsm14_blue

I don't think we have any divine right to be near the top and doubt many other managers would have us much higher to be honest.

It does drive me round the bend how often we play people out of position though, a real feature of the last 2 seasons.

I also wish we were a just a bit less agricultural (not expecting Barca or even Sheffield United but just players at least trying to pass to each other).
Shows what can be achieved.... on 15:26 - Oct 30 with 2698 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Shows what can be achieved.... on 14:08 - Oct 30 by Bobbychase

I think everyone can agree Evans needs to invest more.

Sheff Utd - momentum is the main thing in their story, rather than investment. They're not the first to be slingshotted from League One to the upper reaches of the Championship.

and you won’t build momentum if the players are told they’re not good enough, which seems to be our psychology
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 15:27]
Shows what can be achieved.... on 15:27 - Oct 30 with 2693 viewsSuperfrans

A. Just because getting promoted *can* give you momentum doesn't mean that it would help every team. Clearly Sheff U are building on last season in ways that Bolton aren't. And it can work the other way too - Sunderland are struggling to pull out of the slump, while Villa are not...

B. Some players may be on new contracts, Sheff U will also have bought a few I would imagine. But the salary base will be lower overall.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Shows what can be achieved.... on 15:31 - Oct 30 with 2684 viewsArcher4721

Players would get a bonus for promotion but not new contracts with pay rises.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024