Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A couple of things stood out last night 11:52 - Nov 1 with 2318 viewsDarth_Koont

1. The need to defend for 90+ minutes at this level of football. The two goals were pretty soft (I don't include the 3rd one because we were clearly overcommitting forward to snatch a point and everything fell the right way for Cardiff on the break) which was annoying because it wasn't as if Cardiff was outnumbering us or cutting us open and creating chance after chance. But we got punished when we simply didn't concentrate.

2. We lost out physically. It seemed at the time and is borne out in the stats that we won relatively few challenges in the air or on the deck. Cardiff were a bigger, stronger side and they didn't even have to use the ball that well to beat us, in fact we had more and better possession I'd say.

All in all, we need to put a team and performances together where we are strong both on and off the ball. For me that side needs Adeyemi in particular in the middle and probably the more disciplined Spence at right back. Plus Waghorn or McGoldrick up front alongside Garner and sharing the physical load. So if we can take any positives out of last night we know that our fringe players can play a bit but that our strongest team is becoming clearer and clearer.

Pronouns: He/Him

A couple of things stood out last night on 11:57 - Nov 1 with 2276 viewsportmanking

Hasn't Point 1 been done to death? We've been conceding soft goals under Mick since early 2015. In recent times Mick has actually shown himself incapable of moulding a cohesive backline. It seems scoring goals and keeping clean sheets are now mutually exclusive commodities.
A couple of things stood out last night on 11:59 - Nov 1 with 2259 viewsDarth_Koont

A couple of things stood out last night on 11:57 - Nov 1 by portmanking

Hasn't Point 1 been done to death? We've been conceding soft goals under Mick since early 2015. In recent times Mick has actually shown himself incapable of moulding a cohesive backline. It seems scoring goals and keeping clean sheets are now mutually exclusive commodities.

All sides concede poor goals - and our record this season has been defined by going for broke with 3 or 4 attackers and not covering the defence that much.

Last night we set up to protect the defence better and we generally did. But then we really need to concentrate properly.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2017 12:00]

Pronouns: He/Him

A couple of things stood out last night on 12:00 - Nov 1 with 2258 viewsSomethingBlue

Adeyemi made a massive difference when he finally came in, and even in the first half against Norwich, and we feel his absence really sorely now. Really need him to get a run of games together.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

A couple of things stood out last night on 12:15 - Nov 1 with 2194 viewsIllinoisblue

A couple of things stood out last night on 12:00 - Nov 1 by SomethingBlue

Adeyemi made a massive difference when he finally came in, and even in the first half against Norwich, and we feel his absence really sorely now. Really need him to get a run of games together.

I wonder if we're expecting too much of Adayemi; he's only played an average of 19 games a season over the last 3 seasons. Wether that's due to injuries or form I don't know, but seems a big leap to expect him to come in and be our midfield enforcer/saviour.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:22 - Nov 1 with 2064 viewstextbackup

Your two points are what you'd not expect from a traditional Mick team, says a lot, don't you think?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:28 - Nov 1 with 2052 viewsSomethingBlue

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:22 - Nov 1 by textbackup

Your two points are what you'd not expect from a traditional Mick team, says a lot, don't you think?

The first one yes but I think slightly unfair to make a big deal of the second without noting the efforts made to address it in the summer — Adeyemi has been a really big miss, more due to the way he can win his duels in midfield and then keep things simple than anything else.

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:36 - Nov 1 with 2044 viewstextbackup

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:28 - Nov 1 by SomethingBlue

The first one yes but I think slightly unfair to make a big deal of the second without noting the efforts made to address it in the summer — Adeyemi has been a really big miss, more due to the way he can win his duels in midfield and then keep things simple than anything else.

It's the size of the fight in the stomach and heart that matters more than physical height and muscle.
Dennis wise, Roy Keane, Tristan Nydam... not big bloke but fck their hearts were/are strong

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:46 - Nov 1 with 2022 viewsSomethingBlue

A couple of things stood out last night on 14:36 - Nov 1 by textbackup

It's the size of the fight in the stomach and heart that matters more than physical height and muscle.
Dennis wise, Roy Keane, Tristan Nydam... not big bloke but fck their hearts were/are strong

I mean, that's very fine talk but remove the abstraction and we looked a lot weaker in midfield against Bristol City, for example, with Nydam having to deputise for Adeyemi at the last moment — I think that's very fair to say. It impacted upon the whole side. Nydam is no Wise or Keane, not yet, and nor were they at that age (if you see what I mean).

Login to get fewer ads

A couple of things stood out last night on 15:16 - Nov 1 with 1985 viewsTIB

In TWTD's current climate I'm not yet a Mick out'er...we're definitely in a rut at present but I think given we spent money on strikers this summer and we are now able to score more than one goal a game, if Mick can spend some money on a defender or two next summer (if he's still here), we might actually finally have a team that can challenge.

To me, our defence has too many players that can play a variety of positions and there is no real quality defender in there. Don't get me wrong, versatility is good, but we have Iorfa who wants to play centrally but seems to have spent his career at right back...Spence who is the same...Knudsen who was purchased as a left-back but Mick fancies to play centrally...then Chambo who currently might be better suited going back to RB.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024