Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? 19:20 - Dec 31 with 7791 viewstextbackup

Best - 2000

Worse - 2017
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 19:23]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:20 - Jan 1 with 1216 viewsHerbivore

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:43 - Dec 31 by RoyKeanesDog

Best 2000

Worst 2011

This. I could understand people going for 2016 in a way but not 2017, we've made some good signings and finished the year just outside the play offs. We beat Newcastle in a cracking game and generally played a bit better than we had done in the latter part of 2016 with Leon Best leading the line. 2016 saw us fall away from the play offs having been very well placed in January after a good run, we then sold Murphy and couldn't score a goal for what felt like ages.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:24 - Jan 1 with 1217 viewsbluelou

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:44 - Dec 31 by xrayspecs

IMHO, you need to ask about seasons not calendar years

Best: 80/81

Worst: 18/19 (careful what you wish for...)

The Ferguson and Duncan ears were not easy on the eye but we all cared less about winning / losing - football was more of a way of life and a social event. Despite the football, the beer and company were good, happy days off the pitch.

Met an old school friend last week, a fellow Town fan, who has pretty much given up on football. It has been ruined by money to the point where only the biggest clubs can hope to win something. And when Leicester throw a spanner in the works, the top clubs want to change the funding model so that they siphon off even more of the cash.

Have only seen Town once this season - at Boro - where we worked hard to limit them and then fell away in the second half. I have not done the maths but there squad would have cost 10-20x what we have spent, and they are nothing much.

So I fear for the future as I can not see this getting any better. Even if someone came in and bought out ME (we have been on the market for a number of years), where does it end. A new owner would need to spend £50m to get us up and a hundred million a season to keep us in the group outside of the elite.

HNY!

Agree with a lot of this but £50m?
If Mick was given just £10m for transfers I think we'd have already been promoted (bad come back down again!)

I assume anyone saying 2017 wasn't watching us in the 90s. Super blub!

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:40 - Jan 1 with 1203 viewsblueislander

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:43 - Dec 31 by PJH

Best 1962 which was really a once in a lifetime year but closely followed by 1981 which could have topped it and proved that it wasn't if only....

Worst, whenever it was that Keane was here.

Spot on . 1978 was not a great year overall, but did have 3 wonderful FA Cup games to enjoy.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:43 - Jan 1 with 1197 viewsxrayspecs

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:24 - Jan 1 by bluelou

Agree with a lot of this but £50m?
If Mick was given just £10m for transfers I think we'd have already been promoted (bad come back down again!)

I assume anyone saying 2017 wasn't watching us in the 90s. Super blub!

Not sure that £10m would give us enough quality. You can spend this on one striker alone. If you look at what Wolves have spent, then I this gives an idea about how much it takes to transform a mid table team into a real challenger.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:48 - Jan 1 with 1194 viewsbluelou

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:43 - Jan 1 by xrayspecs

Not sure that £10m would give us enough quality. You can spend this on one striker alone. If you look at what Wolves have spent, then I this gives an idea about how much it takes to transform a mid table team into a real challenger.

We don't need a striker.
We need a couple of defenders and some midfield cover.

Agree that other managers would need to spend more but given the quality brought in this season for very little I'd like to see what Mick could have got with 10x more.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 11:21 - Jan 1 with 1177 viewsxrayspecs

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 09:48 - Jan 1 by bluelou

We don't need a striker.
We need a couple of defenders and some midfield cover.

Agree that other managers would need to spend more but given the quality brought in this season for very little I'd like to see what Mick could have got with 10x more.

Sorry, was making a general point about £10m does not go far, not that we need a striker. That said an out and out goalscorer never goes amiss - a Rhodes/Nugent in their prime.

I agree that we have a better squad than for some time, and credit to mick and the club for their transfer dealings. However, Bart apart, I think most of the squad are decent, honest players, but not much more. It would be hard to make case for any of them getting into the Wolves side. Celina on his day (but he is not ours) and possibly Webster.

My fear is that the gap between us and the teams who are challenging at the top is getting bigger year on year.

In recent years, Cardiff, Leicester, Burnley, Brighton, Boro and Bournemouth all spent serious money to get out of the Champ. While it is possible to get promoted on a more modest budget - Huddersfield - it s increasingly unusual.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 12:28 - Jan 1 with 1165 viewsDubtractor

2002 must be up there as one of the worst.

Relegation from the prem, followed by a sluggish start the following season and flying headlong into administration following the ITV digital collapse.

2000 the best though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024