Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rough sleeping in England 19:32 - Jan 23 with 24068 viewsgtsb1966

has more than doubled in the last eight years according to the BBC just now. I found that statistic quiet shocking. What are we becoming.
Rough sleeping in England on 22:38 - Jan 24 with 4815 viewsBloomBlue

Rough sleeping in England on 09:15 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

He already pays at least 23% of his income to the state if he is PAYE which I believe he is. If he runs a car, buys booze, has a flutter, buys clothes etc etc then he contributes even more. This argument of "if you care so much pay more money" is such utterly stupid fallacious bull5hit propagated by the laziest of minds.

No different when people peddle the old 'the rich should pay more' when they're already paying more tax
Rough sleeping in England on 22:54 - Jan 24 with 4799 viewsjeera

Rough sleeping in England on 22:38 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

No different when people peddle the old 'the rich should pay more' when they're already paying more tax

Like much of this conversation that's a bit simplistic.

Define 'the rich' for a start.

We already see complaints every day that at a corporate level 'the rich' pay a darn sight less pound for pound. Surely it's all relative?

The answer is literally affordable housing, which isn't going to happen any time soon as it isn't in the interests of those 'rich' enough to profit.

How property has become to be seen as investment as opposed to somewhere to live is the issue of course.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 22:54]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rough sleeping in England on 23:03 - Jan 24 with 4785 viewsBloomBlue

Rough sleeping in England on 22:54 - Jan 24 by jeera

Like much of this conversation that's a bit simplistic.

Define 'the rich' for a start.

We already see complaints every day that at a corporate level 'the rich' pay a darn sight less pound for pound. Surely it's all relative?

The answer is literally affordable housing, which isn't going to happen any time soon as it isn't in the interests of those 'rich' enough to profit.

How property has become to be seen as investment as opposed to somewhere to live is the issue of course.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 22:54]

For example before I retired my last full years pay was £121k I'll let people decide if that's rich or poor and it was all PAYE which meant I paid (Approx) £36k that year in tax, tax is a percentage after all.
At the moment there is this feeling in this country that every one who earns over £x per year is paying less tax than people who earn £20k a year. It's a lie by labour
Rough sleeping in England on 23:08 - Jan 24 with 4780 viewsBrixtonBlue

Rough sleeping in England on 23:03 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

For example before I retired my last full years pay was £121k I'll let people decide if that's rich or poor and it was all PAYE which meant I paid (Approx) £36k that year in tax, tax is a percentage after all.
At the moment there is this feeling in this country that every one who earns over £x per year is paying less tax than people who earn £20k a year. It's a lie by labour

You don't half talk some twaddle.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Rough sleeping in England on 23:19 - Jan 24 with 4764 viewsjeera

Rough sleeping in England on 23:03 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

So according to that post you can afford it.

No complaints from either side there then.

You took out - you put some back in.

That doesn't solve the housing crisis but at least gave you the window you've been seeking to boast a bit.

Rough sleeping in England on 23:23 - Jan 24 with 4758 viewsjeera

Rough sleeping in England on 11:13 - Jan 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

There are less than 5k rough sleepers per night... that’s not many new properties is it. The billion given to the DUP would cover it

That's a rough estimate for England, but doesn't begin to cover the actual homeless figures.

Hundreds of thousands is more realistic, and each time someone gets homed there's another few coming up behind to more than fill that figure.

I would be intrigued to see people's responses if there were a thread covering general beliefs on what happens to normal folk in this country when they become ill and cannot support themselves financially.

I think most people would be shocked at the lack of support there is out there.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 23:27]

Rough sleeping in England on 23:32 - Jan 24 with 4749 viewsjaykay

plus all the food banks.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Rough sleeping in England on 00:10 - Jan 25 with 4723 viewsamy73

There are virtually no rough sleepers in the UK. In the same way there is virtually full employment.

Do you know anyone who is unemployed? I don’t even think I know anyone who knows anyone who is unemployed.

There is a law of diminishing returns here, there will always be some people sleeping rough. It’s very easy to pick on individual cases, in the same way that there will always be someone who dies in a hospital corridor.

Yes we can look to do what we can to improve the situation but it’s not a major problem or failing.
Login to get fewer ads

Rough sleeping in England on 00:33 - Jan 25 with 4713 viewsjeera

Rough sleeping in England on 00:10 - Jan 25 by amy73

There are virtually no rough sleepers in the UK. In the same way there is virtually full employment.

Do you know anyone who is unemployed? I don’t even think I know anyone who knows anyone who is unemployed.

There is a law of diminishing returns here, there will always be some people sleeping rough. It’s very easy to pick on individual cases, in the same way that there will always be someone who dies in a hospital corridor.

Yes we can look to do what we can to improve the situation but it’s not a major problem or failing.

You're an idiot and should be banned if you think you're funny.

Rough sleeping in England on 00:46 - Jan 25 with 4690 viewsPhilTWTD

Rough sleeping in England on 00:33 - Jan 25 by jeera

You're an idiot and should be banned if you think you're funny.

Indeed, you're not the first to make that point. Gone.
Rough sleeping in England on 06:34 - Jan 25 with 4619 viewsnoggin

Rough sleeping in England on 00:46 - Jan 25 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, you're not the first to make that point. Gone.

Give him a final warning Phil. He's becoming tiresome.
Edit: Just noticed the "gone" bit.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 6:37]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Rough sleeping in England on 06:36 - Jan 25 with 4616 viewsnoggin

Rough sleeping in England on 23:23 - Jan 24 by jeera

That's a rough estimate for England, but doesn't begin to cover the actual homeless figures.

Hundreds of thousands is more realistic, and each time someone gets homed there's another few coming up behind to more than fill that figure.

I would be intrigued to see people's responses if there were a thread covering general beliefs on what happens to normal folk in this country when they become ill and cannot support themselves financially.

I think most people would be shocked at the lack of support there is out there.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 23:27]

Apparently, it's only difficult if you're a white British hetrosexual man. Def info.

Rough sleeping in England on 06:51 - Jan 25 with 4597 viewsBenters2

Rough sleeping in England on 06:34 - Jan 25 by noggin

Give him a final warning Phil. He's becoming tiresome.
Edit: Just noticed the "gone" bit.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 6:37]

High Five !
Rough sleeping in England on 06:52 - Jan 25 with 4595 viewsChe

Rough sleeping in England on 19:54 - Jan 23 by C_B_Blue

I'm not sayin it hasnt got worse, it has. But on the euston road in London between kings cross & euston stations the number of rough sleepers exploded to about 50ish, literally overnight, the day before corbyn made reference to "rough sleeping near our large stations" in a major election speech last June. Rumors are that some of these rough sleepers are momentum activists. So whilst I agree it has got worse, I can also believe there's is some political dirty tricks at play in some places

Are you real
Rough sleeping in England on 06:58 - Jan 25 with 4577 viewsnoggin

Rough sleeping in England on 06:51 - Jan 25 by Benters2

High Five !

Cheerio cheerio cheerio.......

Rough sleeping in England on 07:23 - Jan 25 with 4551 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Rough sleeping in England on 06:36 - Jan 25 by noggin

Apparently, it's only difficult if you're a white British hetrosexual man. Def info.

I must say though that I've never seen anyone begging who isn't white.
Rough sleeping in England on 07:59 - Jan 25 with 4525 viewschicoazul

Rough sleeping in England on 22:38 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

Tax is not a moral duty, it is a coupon we all pay to live in a civilised society (putting to one side for now that our society becomes less civilised by the year). It's total nonsense to compare "the rich should pay more" to your argument about If you love the homeless so much why dont you pay for their houses, when that is already what you I and everyone who pays tax already does. It's typical lazy thinking from someone such as yourself, a retired wealthy Baby Boomer who had everything put on a plate for them but still finds time and energy to moan about the world.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Rough sleeping in England on 08:30 - Jan 25 with 4503 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Rough sleeping in England on 07:59 - Jan 25 by chicoazul

Tax is not a moral duty, it is a coupon we all pay to live in a civilised society (putting to one side for now that our society becomes less civilised by the year). It's total nonsense to compare "the rich should pay more" to your argument about If you love the homeless so much why dont you pay for their houses, when that is already what you I and everyone who pays tax already does. It's typical lazy thinking from someone such as yourself, a retired wealthy Baby Boomer who had everything put on a plate for them but still finds time and energy to moan about the world.

That’s nonsense about baby boomers though. There was massive unemployment in the 80s and I don’t know anyone of that generation that didn’t have to scrape by all their working lives. Generation X is the one that bought houses for 50k which are now worth 400k
Rough sleeping in England on 10:10 - Jan 25 with 4475 viewsJ2BLUE

Rough sleeping in England on 07:59 - Jan 25 by chicoazul

I think it's a moral duty. If I don't pay my share why should I have access to the services I don't contribute to?

Just to be clear i'm talking about over the long term for those able to work. I'm not saying anyone going through a rough time after a job loss should be banned from NHS treatment etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rough sleeping in England on 10:15 - Jan 25 with 4471 viewsbrazil1982

Rough sleeping in England on 23:32 - Jan 24 by jaykay

plus all the food banks.

...and all those NHS Nurses using them.
Rough sleeping in England on 11:10 - Jan 25 with 4443 viewschicoazul

Rough sleeping in England on 10:10 - Jan 25 by J2BLUE

I think it's a moral duty. If I don't pay my share why should I have access to the services I don't contribute to?

Just to be clear i'm talking about over the long term for those able to work. I'm not saying anyone going through a rough time after a job loss should be banned from NHS treatment etc.

The trouble with thinking of tax in moral terms is where that thinking can lead. You may start to have trouble to decide how much income you are allowed to keep from your own labours if the question is a moral one? And of course other people in power may seek to impose their morality on yours.
Paying tax is the right thing to do for society but one could also argue that avoiding as much tax as possible is *also* the right thing to do from a personal/family level. If you knew that petrol duty was going up 8p tomorrow you would probably fill your car up today, and a few jerry cans too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Rough sleeping in England on 18:47 - Jan 25 with 4382 viewsC_B_Blue

Rough sleeping in England on 21:00 - Jan 23 by BrixtonBlue

What a crock of sh!t.

Firstly, I've been through that spot many times recently and there aren't "50ish".

Secondly, no-one needs to fabricate homelessness in order to make a speech on it, there's plenty as it is.

Have a word with yourself before posting this nonsense.

Rough sleeping was lead story on BBC again today. Quoting from their website ...

"The biggest rise in rough sleepers recorded by an individual council was the London borough of Camden, which saw its number jump to more than seven times the figure for the previous year, up from 17 to 127." It also says these figures are thought to be underestimates.

Perhaps my estimate of about 50 rough sleepers last summer kings cross / st Pancras / euston, and on the euston road in between (most of which comes under Camden) wasn't quite the "crock of s$&!" that some on here have suggested...
Rough sleeping in England on 18:53 - Jan 25 with 4371 viewsjeera

Rough sleeping in England on 18:47 - Jan 25 by C_B_Blue

Rough sleeping was lead story on BBC again today. Quoting from their website ...

"The biggest rise in rough sleepers recorded by an individual council was the London borough of Camden, which saw its number jump to more than seven times the figure for the previous year, up from 17 to 127." It also says these figures are thought to be underestimates.

Perhaps my estimate of about 50 rough sleepers last summer kings cross / st Pancras / euston, and on the euston road in between (most of which comes under Camden) wasn't quite the "crock of s$&!" that some on here have suggested...

"Rumors are that some of these rough sleepers are momentum activists. So whilst I agree it has got worse, I can also believe there's is some political dirty tricks at play in some places"

Make up your mind chap.

Rough sleeping in England on 18:59 - Jan 25 with 4355 viewsJ2BLUE

Rough sleeping in England on 18:53 - Jan 25 by jeera

"Rumors are that some of these rough sleepers are momentum activists. So whilst I agree it has got worse, I can also believe there's is some political dirty tricks at play in some places"

Make up your mind chap.

I wonder who would have a vested interest in claiming they are Momentum activists...

Not sure he has though this through.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rough sleeping in England on 19:06 - Jan 25 with 4348 viewsMothersAgainstKids

Report today that 125,000 people escaping extreme poverty each day

A result for humanity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024