Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What on earth has happened to the pitch? 17:32 - Jan 27 with 8234 viewsBluesquid

It looked well rough.
Some Wolves fans were tweeting about it aswell.

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 13:17 - Jan 28 with 1072 viewsLeoMuff

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 13:00 - Jan 28 by Plums

It’s far from unusual for the manager to have a say in how the pitch is prepared and watered in particular. He’ll want a surface that suits his tactical plans <reaches for tin hat>

Yes I’m sure managers ask for pitches to be watered, but when the pitch resembles the Somme circa 1917, I’m pretty sure the majority of blame falls on the head groundsman not MM.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 14:36 - Jan 28 with 1026 viewsRyorry

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 13:17 - Jan 28 by LeoMuff

Yes I’m sure managers ask for pitches to be watered, but when the pitch resembles the Somme circa 1917, I’m pretty sure the majority of blame falls on the head groundsman not MM.

Suspect situation mostly arises when watering's been done, and then weather forecasting lets them down & bucketsful arrive unexpectedly. Also a problem for racecourses. Don't know how Mr Ferguson managed things so well back in the day tho - perhaps he wasn't asked to water by the managers then ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 15:02 - Jan 28 with 1005 viewsPhilTWTD

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 10:41 - Jan 28 by BanburyBlue

Thats an easy out for the club Phil, what deep down work is needed? Obviously huge issues with light and air in most football grounds but with good agronomic procedures there is no reason it should be in the state it is now. The amount of water that has been poured on it artificially over the last few years (MM's needs apparently?) has obviously saturated it to the extent that all we see game after game is players slipping over and the pitch cutting up!

Full reconstruction is how Alan has put it, costing high six figures. Very big job. Club's perspective, going back to the Sheepshanks era, is that money is better spent on the team rather than the pitch when in the Championship and resources are tight.

Basically, a groundsman at Town is always fighting what will be to some extent a losing battle if conditions aren't favourable. They have to manage a far from ideal situation. I doubt watering has had much impact. In warmer conditions the pitch dries out very quickly.
What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 15:07 - Jan 28 with 997 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 23:02 - Jan 27 by PhilTWTD

Longer than that, more than a decade, has been one of those things which has been earmarked to be done after promotion since not long after relegation. Needs work deep down costing six figures.

And so many wonder why I don’t like Evans as our owner

How can an obvious problem with the pitch be ignored for a decade. It’s the pitch! A pitch is a fundamental part of a football club. It shouldn’t be something earmarked. It should be done as soon as possible - so the following summer most probably.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 15:10 - Jan 28 with 990 viewsjeera

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 15:02 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Full reconstruction is how Alan has put it, costing high six figures. Very big job. Club's perspective, going back to the Sheepshanks era, is that money is better spent on the team rather than the pitch when in the Championship and resources are tight.

Basically, a groundsman at Town is always fighting what will be to some extent a losing battle if conditions aren't favourable. They have to manage a far from ideal situation. I doubt watering has had much impact. In warmer conditions the pitch dries out very quickly.

So what is the issue here then?

I remember people saying things like the pitch was created on top of an old landfill or something similar so the drainage was good and that contributed towards our famously decent pitch.

Shows what baloney I'm capable of believing I suppose.

Anyone got any beans for sale?

I have also always considered the North stand extension to have had a detrimental effect despite the retractable roof etc.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 19:39 - Jan 28 with 934 viewsRyorry

What on earth has happened to the pitch? on 11:01 - Jan 28 by backwaywhen

Why have a good pitch when the ball rarely touches it anyway !!!!!!

Chicken-egg! If the pitch were a lovely, smooth, passing surface, maybe we'd actually play a bit more on the deck ..?!

OK, pigs might fly, but we live in hope ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024