Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. 21:14 - Feb 4 with 1841 viewsBlueBadger

..is cancer. Today is World Cancer Day, so I'm going to use this place to shamelessly push a colleague of mine's own fund, Thomas' Fund.
Named for the sadly departed 4 year old son of one of my workmates who died of a nasty brain tumour.:

'World Cancer Day. A day to remember those who are undergoing treatment, those who have had treatment and now re-piecing their lives, and those who we have lost. But it's also a day to thank everyone of you who supports us to help fund research that is so underfunded and so desperately needed. Did you know..
1. Brain tumours are the biggest killer of anyone under the age of 40
2. Brain tumours claim more lives than any other childhood cancer, accounting for more than a third of all cancer deaths
3. Only 3 drugs in the past 77 years have been approved for childhood cancer
4. Over 60% of children who survive their brain tumour, will have life long, life limiting conditions
5. Less than 3% of all government funding is spent on childhood cancer research, and that's all childhood cancer, not just brain tumours.
Research has already uncovered some of the genetic variations of different cancers, but the money is lacking to move this knowledge forwards into how to treat children with personalised medicine. With our £56K that we have raised, we are hoping to contribute to this. So thank you to all our previous, current and future fundraisers and donators- you're all fab!
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/thomasfund '

Spare a fiver, eh?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 21:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 21:17 - Feb 4 with 1819 viewsJ2BLUE

Wearing my 'unity band' today. Would have been my nan's birthday today.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 21:24 - Feb 4 with 1811 viewsSuperfrans

Just chucked in a tenner.

It’s 11 years ago today since my dad passed of lung cancer - and we heard yesterday that a friend’s 16 year old daughter had just lost her battle. It’s an appalling illness which nobody, of any age, is safe from.

Good on your mate for raising so much money.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 22:45 - Feb 4 with 1786 viewsJoeSoap

Donation made.

I'm told I've probably got a few months left, but at least I've had a mainly enjoyable, interesting and varied life and made it into my 50s.
It makes me so sad to see a child's life cut short and unfulfilled by this disease, and from personal experience I know the most sorrowful thing for any parent is to lose a child.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 23:09 - Feb 4 with 1755 viewsLord_Lucan

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 21:24 - Feb 4 by Superfrans

Just chucked in a tenner.

It’s 11 years ago today since my dad passed of lung cancer - and we heard yesterday that a friend’s 16 year old daughter had just lost her battle. It’s an appalling illness which nobody, of any age, is safe from.

Good on your mate for raising so much money.

16 year old? Man alive, that is absolutely horrific.

How on earth can you ever come to terms with that? It’s just plain wrong.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 23:48 - Feb 4 with 1739 viewsIllinoisblue

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 22:45 - Feb 4 by JoeSoap

Donation made.

I'm told I've probably got a few months left, but at least I've had a mainly enjoyable, interesting and varied life and made it into my 50s.
It makes me so sad to see a child's life cut short and unfulfilled by this disease, and from personal experience I know the most sorrowful thing for any parent is to lose a child.

For what it’s worth I admire your stoic outlook.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 00:04 - Feb 5 with 1729 viewsLord_Lucan

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 22:45 - Feb 4 by JoeSoap

Donation made.

Mate, well I don’t know what to say;

Except that you deserve a cyber thumb as big as big can be!

You are going to miss the biggest revival in football history, we will win the league - and I will raise a glass to you.

God bless mate.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 00:21 - Feb 5 with 1718 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Donation made.

I’m really sorry Joe. Not sure what to say but I just wanted to say something to you.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 06:00 - Feb 5 with 1643 viewsBenters2

Donation made.

All the best to you Joe and i know you wont give up the fight x

It was my job to tell my Mother my Brother had passed away from this Cnt of a disease,i had been around his house in the morning to say 'goodbye' and his son phoned me the same evening,its not supposed to happen that way around is it,we are supposed to bury our parents not them bury you.

Again Joe i know you wont give up the fight stay strong Brother x
Login to get fewer ads

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 07:37 - Feb 5 with 1605 viewstractordownsouth

Donation made.

Sorry to hear that, that's terrible. I admire your positive attitude and hopefully we'll finally fit in one last Norwich win for you!

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 07:41 - Feb 5 with 1602 viewsBluebell

Something very close to my heart at the moment as my brother-in-law died on Christmas Day with lung cancer. He gave up smoking in his early twenties and the doctors said it was the smoking and passive smoking that caused it 40 years later!

I am now spending a lot of time with my sister and supporting her.
Something I know a lot of us have either direct of family experience of.. on 08:00 - Feb 5 with 1590 viewsTLA

Small donation made.

Your post, the experience of friends and family and some of the posters here made throwing in a few quid an easy decision. I wish it could be more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024