Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart home hub thingys 12:41 - Mar 3 with 11164 viewsVaughan8

A lot of people seem to have these smart home hub things like Amazon "Alexa" or Google home hub thing.

What exactly do these do that I cant do on my smartphone? Is it just a glorified siri?

To be honest I don't really get It, maybe because I know it won't understand me due to my speech impediment.

Does anyone have one and think it's useful?
Smart home hub thingys on 11:13 - Mar 5 with 4051 viewsLord_Lucan

Right - so my old brain is sort of getting there but I need help.

What is the difference between Echo and Alexa? And what is the difference between a kodi thing and a fire stick

The main thing I suppose is that I am doing up my living quarters in Norwich so whilst I am there I haven't got to go to the pub every night. I have a newish but not smart TV and I had been advised that by adding a stick thing I can get Netflix and internet TV etc. So as a simple man I presume the stick acts in the same way as if I connected my laptop to the TV and used the laptop connection to access my Amazon Prime, Netflix and Sky Go??

Then we get on to Kodi - what benefits does this add?

Finally - it was mentioned that Alexis is invaluable if you already have Amazon Prime - which I have - so why and WTF and how does this all come together?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Smart home hub thingys on 12:40 - Mar 5 with 4024 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:13 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

What is the difference between Echo and Alexa? And what is the difference between a kodi thing and a fire stick

The main thing I suppose is that I am doing up my living quarters in Norwich so whilst I am there I haven't got to go to the pub every night. I have a newish but not smart TV and I had been advised that by adding a stick thing I can get Netflix and internet TV etc. So as a simple man I presume the stick acts in the same way as if I connected my laptop to the TV and used the laptop connection to access my Amazon Prime, Netflix and Sky Go??

Finally - it was mentioned that Alexis is invaluable if you already have Amazon Prime - which I have - so why and WTF and how does this all come together?

Echo is the device. Alexa is the trigger word to get it to talk to you.

ie. Alexa what is the weather for tomorrow.

Echo comes as a Dot which is a small speaker half the size of a tea cup, Echo is a medium sized speaker and Echo Plus is a bigger speaker about 10" tall. There is aslo an Echo spot which has a touch screen and doubles up as an alarm clock and small video player. You can also do facetime type calls on it. They also do an Echo Show which is like an ipad that is free standing and does what an echo spot does but with a more powerful sound.

If you have amazon prime then you also have 4 million songs available free through prime music. You can ask Alexa to play any of these songs.

edit. An Amazon firestick is about thirty five quid and plugs into your tv's HDMI port. This gets you all the aps like netflix, iplayer, sky news and again, as a prime member you get free amazon prime tv which has great shows and films. All you need is an internet connection.

I'm not so much an export on Kodi.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2018 12:44]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Smart home hub thingys on 16:21 - Mar 5 with 3991 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart home hub thingys on 12:40 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

Echo comes as a Dot which is a small speaker half the size of a tea cup, Echo is a medium sized speaker and Echo Plus is a bigger speaker about 10" tall. There is aslo an Echo spot which has a touch screen and doubles up as an alarm clock and small video player. You can also do facetime type calls on it. They also do an Echo Show which is like an ipad that is free standing and does what an echo spot does but with a more powerful sound.

If you have amazon prime then you also have 4 million songs available free through prime music. You can ask Alexa to play any of these songs.

edit. An Amazon firestick is about thirty five quid and plugs into your tv's HDMI port. This gets you all the aps like netflix, iplayer, sky news and again, as a prime member you get free amazon prime tv which has great shows and films. All you need is an internet connection.

Thanks for that.

Someone mentioned earlier "An Amazon Fire tv stick is a good way to try Alexa, If you have Amazon Prime it's a no brainer. Voice controlled smart tv for £29.99"

What is happening here?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Smart home hub thingys on 17:23 - Mar 5 with 3977 viewsBurwell_Blue

Smart home hub thingys on 12:40 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

The dot version is not a speaker, you will need to connect it to external speakers.

Kodi is legal software that you install on the Firestick. Then, but added grey-area 'add-ons' you can watch all the latest movies (including those not yet released into the cinema) sport and TV shows from across the world for free.
Smart home hub thingys on 17:25 - Mar 5 with 3976 viewsSpruceMoose

Smart home hub thingys on 13:31 - Mar 3 by GlasgowBlue

When I wake up I can ask Alexa for the news, weather and sport before I even open my eyes.

Plot twist, Alexa is actually Glasser's Macedonian maid.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Smart home hub thingys on 17:28 - Mar 5 with 3974 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 17:23 - Mar 5 by Burwell_Blue

The dot version is not a speaker, you will need to connect it to external speakers.

Kodi is legal software that you install on the Firestick. Then, but added grey-area 'add-ons' you can watch all the latest movies (including those not yet released into the cinema) sport and TV shows from across the world for free.

I have a few dots most of which are wirelessly connected to my sonos system so are not used as speakers. However it does have a 0.6" tweeter which is fine for playing music in my 11 year old daughter's bedroom.

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 20:11 - Mar 5 with 3941 viewsInvictus

Smart home hub thingys on 16:21 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks for that.

Someone mentioned earlier "An Amazon Fire tv stick is a good way to try Alexa, If you have Amazon Prime it's a no brainer. Voice controlled smart tv for £29.99"

What is happening here?

The firestick comes with Alexa on the controller, you need to press the button to make it work unlike the Echo devices which are constantly listening for you to say "Alexa", so its good if you're paranoid about being spied on.
You can just say "play Grand Tour" and it will play on your TV. All the usual Alexa commands and skills work as normal. With Prime it gives you a slick way of accessing all the Amazon content, Movies, TV series and Music as well as the BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc. If you have another Echo device you can control your firestick with that.

It's usually on sale somewhere, check Argos and Tesco online.
Smart home hub thingys on 09:06 - Mar 6 with 3884 viewsCoastalblue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:13 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Kodi works as a pice of software you can use to access streams, legal and arguably illegal on the net, and watch them on your TV. You need to be prepared to take a bit of time to keep on top of it, and keep it up to date otherwise it can be quite frustrating, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it for something I really wanted to watch.

It's a bit like the modern day equivalent of the old pirate Sky cards you could get before they went digital.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Smart home hub thingys on 09:11 - Mar 6 with 3877 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 09:06 - Mar 6 by Coastalblue

Kodi works as a pice of software you can use to access streams, legal and arguably illegal on the net, and watch them on your TV. You need to be prepared to take a bit of time to keep on top of it, and keep it up to date otherwise it can be quite frustrating, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it for something I really wanted to watch.

It's a bit like the modern day equivalent of the old pirate Sky cards you could get before they went digital.

You are right about having to take time to keep on top of Kodi. I loaded it into my fire stick three years ago and after a month the services I had downloaded were no longer available. Far too much hassle.

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 11:18 - Mar 6 with 3857 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart home hub thingys on 09:06 - Mar 6 by Coastalblue

"A bit of time"?

I'm out!

Smart home hub thingys on 11:25 - Mar 6 with 3855 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:18 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

"A bit of time"?

I'm out!

I'm into my gadgets and tech but even I can't be doing with it. I don't think Kodi is for the likes of you or I.

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 11:42 - Mar 6 with 3846 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart home hub thingys on 20:11 - Mar 5 by Invictus

The firestick comes with Alexa on the controller, you need to press the button to make it work unlike the Echo devices which are constantly listening for you to say "Alexa", so its good if you're paranoid about being spied on.
You can just say "play Grand Tour" and it will play on your TV. All the usual Alexa commands and skills work as normal. With Prime it gives you a slick way of accessing all the Amazon content, Movies, TV series and Music as well as the BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc. If you have another Echo device you can control your firestick with that.

It's usually on sale somewhere, check Argos and Tesco online.

So this is my life answer?

https://www.johnlewis.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-with-alexa/p3166265

Smart home hub thingys on 11:44 - Mar 6 with 3843 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:42 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

So this is my life answer?

https://www.johnlewis.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-with-alexa/p3166265

But get it through amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW?ie=UTF8&tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=2243850230

As a prime member you can get it delivered same day.

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 11:48 - Mar 6 with 3838 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart home hub thingys on 11:44 - Mar 6 by GlasgowBlue

But get it through amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW?ie=UTF8&tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=2243850230

As a prime member you can get it delivered same day.

Marvelous.

All I have to do now is make sure the TV has an HDMI port and then get Bossbeard to come and install it.

Smart home hub thingys on 11:49 - Mar 6 with 3837 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:48 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

Marvelous.

All I have to do now is make sure the TV has an HDMI port and then get Bossbeard to come and install it.

How old is the telly?

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 11:57 - Mar 6 with 3831 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart home hub thingys on 11:49 - Mar 6 by GlasgowBlue

How old is the telly?

Don't think it's very old at all. My mate is storing a load of sh1te in one of my stores and I came across it. Can't be more than a couple of years, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Smart home hub thingys on 12:00 - Mar 6 with 3826 viewsCoastalblue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:18 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

"A bit of time"?

I'm out!

That was kind of what I was expecting, and the reason I wrote it. If you use it a lot I don't think it's too bad if you're happy to tinker, but for the average bloke (me) who just wants to wheel it out to use occasionally it's a lot of hassle.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Smart home hub thingys on 12:00 - Mar 6 with 3826 viewschicoazul

Any excuse to post this again.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Smart home hub thingys on 12:04 - Mar 6 with 3820 viewsInvictus

Smart home hub thingys on 11:48 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

Marvelous.

If you buy it from Amazon it comes already set up for your account.

Plug it in an hdmi socket, connect the usb powerlead, Select correct hdmi input on tv, enter your wifi passcode. Sorted.

The little house button acts as on and off. Press and hold the mic button for voice commands, you don't have to say "Alexa".

Have fun.
Smart home hub thingys on 12:15 - Mar 6 with 3806 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 11:57 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

Don't think it's very old at all. My mate is storing a load of sh1te in one of my stores and I came across it. Can't be more than a couple of years, I'll check it out tomorrow.

It will have an HDMI port then. Probably 3 of them.

The firestick is dead easy to set up.

Plug it in the HDMI Port and then chose the source from your TV remote. It will ask you to connect to the wi fi and then enter the security number. The it will ask you for your amazon id and password. That's it.

Oh put batteries in the remote.

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 12:17 - Mar 6 with 3804 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart home hub thingys on 12:15 - Mar 6 by GlasgowBlue

It will have an HDMI port then. Probably 3 of them.

The firestick is dead easy to set up.

Plug it in the HDMI Port and then chose the source from your TV remote. It will ask you to connect to the wi fi and then enter the security number. The it will ask you for your amazon id and password. That's it.

Oh put batteries in the remote.

Ta all

Smart home hub thingys on 12:25 - Mar 6 with 3789 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 12:17 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

Ta all

Invictus is right. No setting up your account if you buy through amazon as it's already done for you.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024