Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Cowley brothers. 10:59 - Apr 5 with 6253 viewsPaddy39

I wonder if any of our board will be watching how the Cowley Brothers get on at Wenbley on Sunday? If they were offered the job I'm sure they would take it. They are the management pair for me. Young eager managers wanting to suceed, plus fresh ideas and they could uncover the next Jamie Vardy as they know the lower leagues. Time for us to try something new and I'm sure they would make good use of the Academy.

Poll: Should we retire our No.9 shirt for one season after losing Paul Mariner RIP?

The Cowley brothers. on 11:03 - Apr 5 with 4771 viewsitfcjoe

There was an interesting piece with Sam Parkin on this weeks Totally Football League Show ( https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/totally-football-league-show/) about their style and think that is the keything with why they are not a good fit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Cowley brothers. on 11:04 - Apr 5 with 4751 viewsThijssens_Tash

I would watch...but only to see how Shrewsbury get on, much more interested in their manager Paul Hurst. Wouldn't touch the Cowley's yet, need to be successful at a League 1 team first.
The Cowley brothers. on 11:04 - Apr 5 with 4755 viewsTIB

They play more direct than Mick so hardly the "fresh ideas" / "try something new" that so many fans want from a new manager.

^Shrewsbury far more worth watching.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:05]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

The Cowley brothers. on 11:06 - Apr 5 with 4738 viewsSnedders

^^ Might be worth a watch to check out Shrewsbury under Paul Hurst too
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:06]
The Cowley brothers. on 11:07 - Apr 5 with 4728 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Cowley brothers. on 11:04 - Apr 5 by TIB

They play more direct than Mick so hardly the "fresh ideas" / "try something new" that so many fans want from a new manager.

^Shrewsbury far more worth watching.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:05]

They have been successful with a direct style of play. But it may just be that style was the only way to get the best from what they had.

They seem like intelligent guys, I think its harsh to say that they wouldn't have any other footballing philosophy given better players to work with.

A bit of an easy excuse.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Cowley brothers. on 11:13 - Apr 5 with 4676 viewsTIB

The Cowley brothers. on 11:07 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

They have been successful with a direct style of play. But it may just be that style was the only way to get the best from what they had.

They seem like intelligent guys, I think its harsh to say that they wouldn't have any other footballing philosophy given better players to work with.

A bit of an easy excuse.

I think that style works at that level and fair play its got them success...but as I said in a thread the other day, bringing them up two leagues and asking to play a different style this early in their careers would be bonkers, rather than an easy excuse.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:16]

The Cowley brothers. on 11:15 - Apr 5 with 4641 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Cowley brothers. on 11:13 - Apr 5 by TIB

I think that style works at that level and fair play its got them success...but as I said in a thread the other day, bringing them up two leagues and asking to play a different style this early in their careers would be bonkers, rather than an easy excuse.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:16]

They have already proved that they can move up a number of leagues in a short space of time. I think it would be a calculated risk that could be worth taking.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Cowley brothers. on 11:17 - Apr 5 with 4628 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Cowley brothers. on 11:03 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

There was an interesting piece with Sam Parkin on this weeks Totally Football League Show ( https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/totally-football-league-show/) about their style and think that is the keything with why they are not a good fit

AT what time does the relevant section start?

Login to get fewer ads

The Cowley brothers. on 11:19 - Apr 5 with 4621 viewshype313

The Cowley brothers. on 11:15 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

They have already proved that they can move up a number of leagues in a short space of time. I think it would be a calculated risk that could be worth taking.

Agreed, as I said before, I would take the opinion of a world cup winning coach over a few armchair fans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4302830/How-beat-Arsenal-Clive

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Cowley brothers. on 11:20 - Apr 5 with 4609 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Cowley brothers. on 11:19 - Apr 5 by hype313

Agreed, as I said before, I would take the opinion of a world cup winning coach over a few armchair fans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4302830/How-beat-Arsenal-Clive

Be prepared for....."hes a rugby coach, so has no valid opinion on football".

The Cowley brothers. on 11:25 - Apr 5 with 4586 viewsTIB

The Cowley brothers. on 11:15 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

The lower leagues though are built around that style of play...now they have reached the football league though that style of play I think will start to plateau them. We will have to accept we're at opposite opinions on this...but it's not to say I don't think they will develop into a great duo, I just don't think they are right for the Town job presently.

The Cowley brothers. on 11:26 - Apr 5 with 4575 viewshype313

The Cowley brothers. on 11:20 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Be prepared for....."hes a rugby coach, so has no valid opinion on football".

I was expected a barrage of "What's egg chasing got to do with football comments"

The Cowley brothers. on 11:33 - Apr 5 with 4538 viewsitfcjoe

The Cowley brothers. on 11:17 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

AT what time does the relevant section start?

It's at the end of the Championship round up but won't be able to find it sorry as no sound on computer I'm on

The Cowley brothers. on 11:34 - Apr 5 with 4530 viewsitfcjoe

They have had success, and I think will continue to as clearly are smart and adaptable guys - but their style will not adapt sufficiently for it to be 'ok' here if results aren't good

The Cowley brothers. on 11:42 - Apr 5 with 4491 viewshype313

The Cowley brothers. on 11:34 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

They have had success, and I think will continue to as clearly are smart and adaptable guys - but their style will not adapt sufficiently for it to be 'ok' here if results aren't good

This style you talk about is getting the best out of the tools given to them, I don't think they get their philosophy from Joe Kinnear or Dave Bassett.

As stated in that interview they looked at the stats and realised they they were getting more success by using ceetain players. To tarnish them with a philopshy of a route one approach is a little bit silly IMO.

The Cowley brothers. on 11:46 - Apr 5 with 4469 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Cowley brothers. on 11:33 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

It's at the end of the Championship round up but won't be able to find it sorry as no sound on computer I'm on

Thanks, listened to it.

Quite interesting. Also interesting when people talk about our budget and how well Mick does.

Im bored of hearing that from people who arent fans. Yes, he did out perform his budget when we had Murphy up top.

Last season he pretty much performed to our wage budget (while playing poor football and abusing fans), this season he might marginally outperform his wage budget.

In a time when a managers tenure in our league is c.1 year, it annoys me that people base their view of Mick on performances from 2 years ago. He is no miracle worker based on the performance of the past two seasons.

The Cowley brothers. on 11:46 - Apr 5 with 4463 viewsitfcjoe

The Cowley brothers. on 11:42 - Apr 5 by hype313

This style you talk about is getting the best out of the tools given to them, I don't think they get their philosophy from Joe Kinnear or Dave Bassett.

As stated in that interview they looked at the stats and realised they they were getting more success by using ceetain players. To tarnish them with a philopshy of a route one approach is a little bit silly IMO.

But they've played the same way at Braintree and Concord Rangers by all accounts.

It's not John Beck's Cambridge, but Matt Rhead wouldn't be in the football league at most clubs and they look lost without him

If Lincoln hadn't beaten us..... on 11:50 - Apr 5 with 4449 viewsBloots

....in the cup (like everyone does) then nobody would even be considering them.

That is a fact.

It's such a fact that I'm going to capitalise it.

FACT.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

The Cowley brothers. on 11:52 - Apr 5 with 4439 viewsitfcjoe

The Cowley brothers. on 11:46 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thanks, listened to it.

Quite interesting. Also interesting when people talk about our budget and how well Mick does.

Im bored of hearing that from people who arent fans. Yes, he did out perform his budget when we had Murphy up top.

Last season he pretty much performed to our wage budget (while playing poor football and abusing fans), this season he might marginally outperform his wage budget.

In a time when a managers tenure in our league is c.1 year, it annoys me that people base their view of Mick on performances from 2 years ago. He is no miracle worker based on the performance of the past two seasons.

I think they were quite fair though - that Mick has done a good job on the budget but it is in everyones best interests for a change now as the fans are bored

The Cowley brothers. on 11:55 - Apr 5 with 4428 viewshype313

The Cowley brothers. on 11:46 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

But they've played the same way at Braintree and Concord Rangers by all accounts.

It's not John Beck's Cambridge, but Matt Rhead wouldn't be in the football league at most clubs and they look lost without him

How many lower league clubs are playing total football though?

The Cowley brothers. on 11:57 - Apr 5 with 4425 viewsbluefunk

The Cowley brothers. on 11:46 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

Fans of a certain vintage will remember Charles Hughes and his approach, and the Cowley style might seem like a more detailed version of Hughes “Position of Maximim Opportunity” mantra which Graham Taylor used with Watford and which infected English football in the late 80’s and early 90’s - I am thinking about the Matt Rhead comment in particular.

I guess I would be interested to see how they coped with better players, players who can’t significantly improve and indeed players who don’t want to improve. I could see a lot of resistance from senior pros which could cause short term problems, with all that entails (think SBR and Billy Baxter) while that is getting sorted out

It’s a no from me, football isn’t just a numbers game no matter how many stats they put up, Ronaldo didn’t score that goal this week because of any statistic
The Cowley brothers. on 11:58 - Apr 5 with 4424 viewsVic

That's a really good article, but ironically suggests to me that they are not what we want.

They are working with stats, which is great with limited ability players who will be greatly helped and motivated by such things. Its a great way of getting the most out of what you've got, but it probably isn't going to coach them into better, more able players - it will fit them into a model.

Will the principles that have given them success lower down carry over to a team playing free flowing, passing football? I'm not so sure they will.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The Cowley brothers. on 12:02 - Apr 5 with 4395 viewsBecclesITFC

You would have to give them a bit of time. It is a biggish step, however, I think they would be good too. I just hope they go young and hungry...
If Lincoln hadn't beaten us..... on 12:03 - Apr 5 with 4392 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If Lincoln hadn't beaten us..... on 11:50 - Apr 5 by Bloots

That is a fact.

FACT.

yes, youre so right.

The fact that they were the first non-league team to reach the FA Cup quarter finals in over 100 YEARS, beating Brighton and Burnley on the way was no achievement. Also securing promotion that season a battling for promotion this season.

Their big career achievement was beating Ipswich.

If Lincoln hadn't beaten us..... on 12:22 - Apr 5 with 4300 viewsLeoMuff

If Lincoln hadn't beaten us..... on 11:50 - Apr 5 by Bloots

That is a fact.

FACT.

That and we are too posh for hoofball, even if it’s under those exotic Cowley brothers ,unless it’s playoff hoofball then it’s ok.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024