Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., 11:22 - Apr 16 with 6197 viewsGuthrum

is whether (unlike a certain Mr Keane) they can handle managing footballers of lesser talent than themselves or their colleagues during their own playing days. Do they have the ability to get the best out of what we have available (and could afford to hire), rather than becoming frustrated at the limitations? Can they find the right tactics to get results with a lower standard squad?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:23 - Apr 16 with 2624 viewsBluefish

Why are we entertaining this idea ffs?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:24 - Apr 16 with 2625 viewsITFC_Forever

Depends on their coaching ability.

Part of the coaching badges at the higher end of the scale is being able to recognise the level of the players you are coaching and adapt accordingly.

Was always a criticism of Hoddle etc as well.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:24 - Apr 16 with 2631 viewsLord_Lucan

I get the feeling they would be a bit more tolerant.

By all accounts Glen Hoddle was the same as Keane, he just couldn't understand why players couldn't do what he could.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:26 - Apr 16 with 2609 viewsKieran_Knows

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:23 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Why not?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:27 - Apr 16 with 2609 viewshype313

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:24 - Apr 16 by Lord_Lucan

I get the feeling they would be a bit more tolerant.

By all accounts Glen Hoddle was the same as Keane, he just couldn't understand why players couldn't do what he could.

Agree, if they have that issue then they will both have very short managerial careers. Also part of coaching is to make players better, pretty pointless if you expect every player to be as good as you once were.

But by all accounts, Gerrard has essentially parked his career and wants to move onto the next chapter, something dear Royston couldn;t do.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 11:28]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:27 - Apr 16 with 2606 viewsGuthrum

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:23 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Despite the abominable media circus which will descend with them, young managers such as they are as worthy of consideration - on merit - as many others (e.g. the Cowleys).

Personally, both have struck me as reasonably intelligent and could potentially be a success in management - if they can manage their expectations, as I said in the OP.

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:29 - Apr 16 with 2586 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:26 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

Why not?

Why would they be more appealing than someone with experience? Why would they be more appealing than someone with an itfc connection? Why would they be more appealing than anyone that has ever played football?

Presumably because they are very famous.

Do we want another fecking circus?

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:30 - Apr 16 with 2581 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:27 - Apr 16 by Guthrum

Despite the abominable media circus which will descend with them, young managers such as they are as worthy of consideration - on merit - as many others (e.g. the Cowleys).

Personally, both have struck me as reasonably intelligent and could potentially be a success in management - if they can manage their expectations, as I said in the OP.

Gerrard strikes you as intelligent? What? How? Why?

Granted Frank is a bit different intelligence wise and I do like him but I don't want another circus.

Login to get fewer ads

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:31 - Apr 16 with 2582 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There is really no reason whatsoever to compare these two guys to Roy Keane.

I really don't understand why the comparison is made.

The only real similarity is they are all formerly high profile midfielders. That doesnt mean they are similar characters.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:32 - Apr 16 with 2567 viewsGuthrum

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:30 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Gerrard strikes you as intelligent? What? How? Why?

Granted Frank is a bit different intelligence wise and I do like him but I don't want another circus.

Footballing intelligence, not necessarily Brain of Britain.

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:32 - Apr 16 with 2567 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:31 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

The only real similarity is they are all formerly high profile midfielders. That doesnt mean they are similar characters.

You don't think their headlining generating from just being linked with the job is similar to keane? Why the excitement for these 2? I'd rather have Dyer

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:34 - Apr 16 with 2558 viewsKieran_Knows

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:29 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Why would they be more appealing than someone with experience? Why would they be more appealing than someone with an itfc connection? Why would they be more appealing than anyone that has ever played football?

I couldn't give 2 sh*t's that they're famous, that's got nothing to do with it in my opinion.

If they are doing good jobs at the moment, then why can't we be the springboard for their first team management careers?

As I said in another thread this morning, they aren't even in my top 5 preferred managers to be here, but I don't see why people are already seeing them as failures.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:35 - Apr 16 with 2554 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:32 - Apr 16 by Guthrum

Footballing intelligence, not necessarily Brain of Britain.

Playing the game well is different to being a thinker and strategist. Gerrard wasn't a clever footballer he was 6ft+ and very quick over the 1st few yards and strong. Some of his decision making for England (where he didn't have the same free roam) was atrocious

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:35 - Apr 16 with 2551 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:32 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

You don't think their headlining generating from just being linked with the job is similar to keane? Why the excitement for these 2? I'd rather have Dyer

I'm not saying I want these two. I just dont see the obsession with comparing EVERY high profile ex player with Keane.

The 'headline generation' is purely down to their high profile. Thats not necessarily an issue in itself.

What counts is what happens on the pitch.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:36 - Apr 16 with 2536 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:34 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

I couldn't give 2 sh*t's that they're famous, that's got nothing to do with it in my opinion.

If they are doing good jobs at the moment, then why can't we be the springboard for their first team management careers?

As I said in another thread this morning, they aren't even in my top 5 preferred managers to be here, but I don't see why people are already seeing them as failures.

I haven't said they are failures I have said they have no more reason to be manager than 100+ ex footballers. Fame is all they have.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 11:41]

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:36 - Apr 16 with 2536 viewsITFC_Forever

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:29 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

An ITFC connection is largely irrelevant.... a nice to have, but should come way down the list of criteria.

Experience doesn't necessarily count for much either - would you want "just another job" type of manager off the merry-go-round of usual suspects?

Each possible option should be counted on their own individual merit, whether they are old / young, have an ITFC connection or not etc.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:37 - Apr 16 with 2534 viewshype313

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:35 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not saying I want these two. I just dont see the obsession with comparing EVERY high profile ex player with Keane.

The 'headline generation' is purely down to their high profile. Thats not necessarily an issue in itself.

What counts is what happens on the pitch.

Yep, why not compare with other managers who had illustrious careers like Guardiola. As much as he is hated here, you can't judge ever ex player on Roy fecking Keane.

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:39 - Apr 16 with 2523 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:37 - Apr 16 by hype313

Yep, why not compare with other managers who had illustrious careers like Guardiola. As much as he is hated here, you can't judge ever ex player on Roy fecking Keane.

What does their right to the Ipswich job have in common with guardiola becoming Barca manager?

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:40 - Apr 16 with 2515 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:36 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

An ITFC connection is largely irrelevant.... a nice to have, but should come way down the list of criteria.

Experience doesn't necessarily count for much either - would you want "just another job" type of manager off the merry-go-round of usual suspects?

Each possible option should be counted on their own individual merit, whether they are old / young, have an ITFC connection or not etc.

Not said those things count as more I am just trying to find out the basis to Why Gerrard and lampard are more exciting than others. There is no basis to justify them more than anyone else at all.

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:41 - Apr 16 with 2513 viewsGuthrum

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:31 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's not a direct comparison, I was highlighting a potential technical flaw which, if present (as was the case with RK), may make them less than suitable for managing a Championship club.

Gerrard has been at a top club since age 9, Lampard since he was 16 (plus his father was there before him). Both have spent their entire careers in an elite environment, not having to play alongside anyone but the best. Do they have the ability to get their head around the fact that those they will be coaching simply cannot do what they and their teammates used to be able to?

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:43 - Apr 16 with 2499 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:39 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

What does their right to the Ipswich job have in common with guardiola becoming Barca manager?

What does it have to do with Keane??

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:44 - Apr 16 with 2493 viewshype313

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:39 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Well given you're comparing Lamps and Gerrard with Keane, I'm merely pointing out that there are success stories with ex world class players, just using Keane as a reason not to is fickle.

BTW I'm not saying I would want either here, I would much prefer Cook or Turner.

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:45 - Apr 16 with 2493 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:43 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

What does it have to do with Keane??

The keane connection isbthe circus that comes with these people. Even though he is the worst manager in the history of football it could be argued that he was better qualified than these 2 to be of interest to us

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:46 - Apr 16 with 2489 viewsGuthrum

For me, they are not more appealing than someone with experience (but then I'm less worried about "excitement" than competence). The ITFC connection is very much of secondary importance.

But they are as worthy of consideration as other pretty raw young managers who have been mentioned like the Cowleys, or McGreal.

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:48 - Apr 16 with 2483 viewsBluefish

A question with the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, etc., on 11:44 - Apr 16 by hype313

Well given you're comparing Lamps and Gerrard with Keane, I'm merely pointing out that there are success stories with ex world class players, just using Keane as a reason not to is fickle.

BTW I'm not saying I would want either here, I would much prefer Cook or Turner.

Not sure I am comparing them. I was just saying we don't need that circus again unless there is very good reason for it. I can't see a single justification football wise for Gerrard especially. Lampard has a slight claim due to his intelligence but that is still a big punt. I don't want a managerial merry go round but these 2 have no more claim than any other ex pro. I think dyer has more claim

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024