Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement 08:48 - May 5 with 4183 viewsmuccletonjoe

When Mick McCarthy was manager everyone was crying out for a younger man with fresh ideas and a new approach. Why then does all this get bundled up and pushed through the window? Answer is because George Burley has indicated his I intention to apply.
No matter he is Ipswich through and through and I have the utmost respect for both him and Butch but our requirements remain the same. We desperately need a fresh start without the shackles of past glories dangling around our necks. Without the constant sniping from manager to supporters. Without the pre-conceived ideas of what the club once was or should be. If a role can be found for Burley in the form of a Simon Milton liason line, then I am all for giving respect to former players. But the last thing we need now is another season or two spent on a trip down memory lane, only to find you are better off remembering heroes than bringing them back to life.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 09:00 - May 5 with 4134 viewssparks

What we need is a man who will work effectively on a tight budget, get the team playing decent football, find bargains, bring on young youth team players.

Regardless of nostalgia, Burley's CV shows that he fits that bill. If it were all based on nostalgia you would be right, but its not.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 09:02 - May 5 with 4123 viewsclive_baker

I don’t think everyone was crying out for a ‘young’ manager, I certainly wasn’t. Football management should be a meritocracy and certainly not ageist.

I think most people are crying out for a manager that can bring about a style of play that’s a little easier on the eye, take the game to opponents rather than the negative, turgid ‘don’t get beat’ mentality we’ve adopted far too often and a manger than will look to the academy and give youngesters like Marriott a chance here ahead of aging journeymen on short term deals a la Leon Best.

Whether that’s Burley or not is another question, but it’s got nothing to do with age. The best manager we’ve had since Burley was Big Joe IMO and he wasn’t a spring chicken.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:02 - May 5 with 4018 viewsmuccletonjoe

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 09:02 - May 5 by clive_baker

I don’t think everyone was crying out for a ‘young’ manager, I certainly wasn’t. Football management should be a meritocracy and certainly not ageist.

I think most people are crying out for a manager that can bring about a style of play that’s a little easier on the eye, take the game to opponents rather than the negative, turgid ‘don’t get beat’ mentality we’ve adopted far too often and a manger than will look to the academy and give youngesters like Marriott a chance here ahead of aging journeymen on short term deals a la Leon Best.

Whether that’s Burley or not is another question, but it’s got nothing to do with age. The best manager we’ve had since Burley was Big Joe IMO and he wasn’t a spring chicken.

The game has changed so much since Joe was here as manager. Not only do you have to deal with players , supporters and media. You have online club sites like this one .televised press conferences. Online interviews etc etc. You also need to be very much genned up on potential transfers re players attitude and work rate. This sort of thing let down both keane and jewell in their time here, particularly with the likes of chopra, taylor etc. It is not a 60+ year olds game in my opinion. Though I know there are some about like Warnock who still carry it off. But in his case, he has not been absent from the game for the past 6 years.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:06 - May 5 with 4009 viewsWD19

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 09:00 - May 5 by sparks

What we need is a man who will work effectively on a tight budget, get the team playing decent football, find bargains, bring on young youth team players.

Regardless of nostalgia, Burley's CV shows that he fits that bill. If it were all based on nostalgia you would be right, but its not.

I did some maths a few weeks back and the Marcus Stewart signing works out at about £12-15m in todays football money if I remember rightly.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:14 - May 5 with 3988 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:02 - May 5 by muccletonjoe

The game has changed so much since Joe was here as manager. Not only do you have to deal with players , supporters and media. You have online club sites like this one .televised press conferences. Online interviews etc etc. You also need to be very much genned up on potential transfers re players attitude and work rate. This sort of thing let down both keane and jewell in their time here, particularly with the likes of chopra, taylor etc. It is not a 60+ year olds game in my opinion. Though I know there are some about like Warnock who still carry it off. But in his case, he has not been absent from the game for the past 6 years.

Yes, the game has moved on. But you can't tell me the previous regime was cutting-edge, finger on the pulse of modern football. I doubt Mick will ever change his philosophy - and neither should GB.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:24 - May 5 with 3970 viewschristiand

ME's five-point strategy is:

1 — To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team

2 — To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget

3 — To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development

4 — Maintaining a stable management and coaching team

5 — To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football

GB can certainly provide a resounding 'yes' to points 4 and 5. Regarding point 1, I certainly believe that GB would encourage more of our youth players to be in and around the first team squad, that was something he always encouraged during his tenure last time. If good enough, they'll play. Not convinced that was ever the agenda with MM, more his hand was forced due to injuries rather than willingly play them.

The more that news from yesterday has sunk in, the more I feel that with the current situation and feeling towards the club GB would most definitely be the right appointment. Just feel we'll be in safe hands, play good football and have a manager that has the best interests of the club at heart.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:27 - May 5 with 3951 viewsclive_baker

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:02 - May 5 by muccletonjoe

That’s all very well but my point was a manager should be appointment on merit, not by age. The average age of the premier leagues top 3 clubs is 51. It’s completely meaningless as a stat but the point is they’re top managers regardless of age. Warnock is another example. The fact Burley has been out of the game for so long is a relevant one, but it’s not because of his age.

Personally I don’t care if our next manager is 25 or 65 or anywhere in between if they tick the boxes.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:35 - May 5 with 3941 viewsmuccletonjoe

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:14 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

Yes, the game has moved on. But you can't tell me the previous regime was cutting-edge, finger on the pulse of modern football. I doubt Mick will ever change his philosophy - and neither should GB.

No I don't think Mick McCarthy was a cutting edge manager at all. But he certainly knew what he was getting before he signed anyone into the club. The bottom line here is ; do you want a totally fresh start for the club . Get a new man in who will look at the club with a fresh pair of eyes and maybe put right the things which have kept us in the championship for 17 years. Or do you want to try and re-ignite past triumphs with someone who already has the goodwill of supporters but how long will that last if results or performances are not there.
Login to get fewer ads

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:41 - May 5 with 3928 viewsitfc1981

Burley's past success means nothing, his abilities means everything.

Poll: Should Mick stick with Chambers at RB?

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:59 - May 5 with 3906 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:35 - May 5 by muccletonjoe

No I don't think Mick McCarthy was a cutting edge manager at all. But he certainly knew what he was getting before he signed anyone into the club. The bottom line here is ; do you want a totally fresh start for the club . Get a new man in who will look at the club with a fresh pair of eyes and maybe put right the things which have kept us in the championship for 17 years. Or do you want to try and re-ignite past triumphs with someone who already has the goodwill of supporters but how long will that last if results or performances are not there.

Let's not try to rewrite history. The previous regime's signings were scattergun in regards of successes & failures. Granted, budget restrictions meant his choice of calibre wasn't going to be particularly high.
I just think his whole philosophy was flawed & defeatist at times. As Burley said in his interview, what's the point if you've got no ambition. I think he stalled. He got too comfortable doing a reasonable job.

As long as the next manager gets us playing better, with a desire & a purpose - I don't particularly care if he's an ex Town legend or a rapscalion youngster from L2. Couldn't care less.

I want to see defensive football banished from PR & no more paltry '2 shots on target in 90mins' at home either. That is inexcusable.
[Post edited 5 May 2018 11:11]
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 11:05 - May 5 with 3901 viewstractorboy1978

Burley does bring a new approach, his philosophy is miles apart from that of MM. He also has a proven track record of ticking the boxes ME has publicly informed us of. Doesn't Burley stand for basically everything that most Ipswich fans want us to be? A club that promotes from the academy, looks to develop players, plays decent football and has a genuine connection with the fans. We don't need to reinvent the wheel here. There are several good candidates for the job and Burley is one of them.
[Post edited 5 May 2018 11:06]
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 11:07 - May 5 with 3885 viewssparks

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:59 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

Let's not try to rewrite history. The previous regime's signings were scattergun in regards of successes & failures. Granted, budget restrictions meant his choice of calibre wasn't going to be particularly high.
I just think his whole philosophy was flawed & defeatist at times. As Burley said in his interview, what's the point if you've got no ambition. I think he stalled. He got too comfortable doing a reasonable job.

As long as the next manager gets us playing better, with a desire & a purpose - I don't particularly care if he's an ex Town legend or a rapscalion youngster from L2. Couldn't care less.

I want to see defensive football banished from PR & no more paltry '2 shots on target in 90mins' at home either. That is inexcusable.
[Post edited 5 May 2018 11:11]

Signings scattergun? Really?

When he committed significant funds at our current level, he pretty much always hit the mark. Holland, Johnson, Magilton.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 11:10 - May 5 with 3871 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 11:07 - May 5 by sparks

Signings scattergun? Really?

When he committed significant funds at our current level, he pretty much always hit the mark. Holland, Johnson, Magilton.

*previous regime.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 12:07 - May 5 with 3806 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 11:05 - May 5 by tractorboy1978

Burley does bring a new approach, his philosophy is miles apart from that of MM. He also has a proven track record of ticking the boxes ME has publicly informed us of. Doesn't Burley stand for basically everything that most Ipswich fans want us to be? A club that promotes from the academy, looks to develop players, plays decent football and has a genuine connection with the fans. We don't need to reinvent the wheel here. There are several good candidates for the job and Burley is one of them.
[Post edited 5 May 2018 11:06]

Maybe people just miss the cut & thrust of interminable hoofball.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 12:46 - May 5 with 3764 viewsWonky

Burley may well be a good candidate but there is an element of sentimentality in the fans support.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 13:08 - May 5 with 3718 viewssparks

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 11:10 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

*previous regime.

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 13:13 - May 5 with 3708 viewswkj

I said on another post that I think having Burley on a 2year (+1) contract might be a good Idea, especially if a condition of his employment is to mentor an up and coming manager (Hogg, Nash etc)

The club desperately needs to get a connection with the fans again, and after the contract Burley might be offered/fancy a role upstairs.

I think what fans have to be careful of is expecting Burley to come in and get us in the PL himself, at least right away- remember the seasons before our promotion we were subject of so many bittersweet nearlys in the play offs, so we'd need to be patient and accept a slow build if we get Burley

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 13:56 - May 5 with 3638 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 13:13 - May 5 by wkj

I said on another post that I think having Burley on a 2year (+1) contract might be a good Idea, especially if a condition of his employment is to mentor an up and coming manager (Hogg, Nash etc)

The club desperately needs to get a connection with the fans again, and after the contract Burley might be offered/fancy a role upstairs.

I think what fans have to be careful of is expecting Burley to come in and get us in the PL himself, at least right away- remember the seasons before our promotion we were subject of so many bittersweet nearlys in the play offs, so we'd need to be patient and accept a slow build if we get Burley

I honestly don't think the fans would demand instant success. But the club pulling in one direction must be key.
Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 14:14 - May 5 with 3608 viewschristiand

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 13:56 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

I honestly don't think the fans would demand instant success. But the club pulling in one direction must be key.

That is a terrific point Johnny Boy.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 19:07 - May 5 with 3405 viewsHennikerBlu

Amazed how nostalgia and affiliation can cloud judgement on 10:06 - May 5 by WD19

I did some maths a few weeks back and the Marcus Stewart signing works out at about £12-15m in todays football money if I remember rightly.

Thanks for making that point. Those that watched the by and large attractive football George played, tend to forget how woeful towards the end of the season (EDIT: the final run in and the play-offs) we were and how ultimately we had to spend a bit of dosh, to climb that final hurdle.

I seem to remember the FA changed one of the one of the rules. I think it was away goals (?) because of Ipswich's failure in the P/offs after finishing third so many times.

Not against GB having some involvement in the club, 'if it is the right decision', based on a fair process to identify the best candidate/s, but we need to go into this with our proverbial eyes wide open.
[Post edited 5 May 2018 19:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024