Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Waterbutt Watch 06:29 - Jun 19 with 16578 viewsBenters2

Today marks a sad day in my back garden,my butts run dry,sadly i had to water everyting with my mains tap and hose pipe.

Sad times.
Waterbutt Watch on 06:42 - Jun 19 with 7146 viewsbrogansnose

Go visit Beth Chatto's dry garden ,err, somewhere in Essex and replace your water needy plants with something less water dependent.

My squashes have got some fungal thing and are not doing the flower / fruit thing.

Bloody stupid plants.
Waterbutt Watch on 06:46 - Jun 19 with 7142 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 06:42 - Jun 19 by brogansnose

Go visit Beth Chatto's dry garden ,err, somewhere in Essex and replace your water needy plants with something less water dependent.

My squashes have got some fungal thing and are not doing the flower / fruit thing.

Bloody stupid plants.

That is 3 miles from mine ba.

Im not going to rip my beautiful plants out am i !

Still there you go.
Waterbutt Watch on 06:52 - Jun 19 with 7134 viewsVic

My butts were dry weeks ago. We really need a good rain now.

Beaters, some of my tomato plants in the greenhouse seem to have stopped growing and are showing signs of yellowing in the young leaves at the top. Any idea what this might be?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Waterbutt Watch on 06:56 - Jun 19 with 7132 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 06:52 - Jun 19 by Vic

Beaters, some of my tomato plants in the greenhouse seem to have stopped growing and are showing signs of yellowing in the young leaves at the top. Any idea what this might be?

I have got about 100 litres left in one emergency butt,but i am saving that for my favourite pot plants.

I dont grow anything like that to be honest,are you feeding them ok?
Waterbutt Watch on 07:18 - Jun 19 with 7094 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Morning Vic.
Could be a number of reasons, overwatering, fungal diseases,, nutrient deficiency, lack of sunlight or blight.
Check your Tomatoes symptoms on a gardening website & compare the leaf symtoms for a diagnosis.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Waterbutt Watch on 07:36 - Jun 19 with 7067 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 07:18 - Jun 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

Morning Vic.
Could be a number of reasons, overwatering, fungal diseases,, nutrient deficiency, lack of sunlight or blight.
Check your Tomatoes symptoms on a gardening website & compare the leaf symtoms for a diagnosis.

Morning ba.

Busy time of the year innit.

After all that cold and snow that feels a million years ago !
Waterbutt Watch on 07:45 - Jun 19 with 7054 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Waterbutt Watch on 07:36 - Jun 19 by Benters2

Morning ba.

Busy time of the year innit.

After all that cold and snow that feels a million years ago !

Morning Sir,
It does indeed. Never known plants to grow as quickly as they have this year. Very busy at the moment, the old bones are starting to creak a bit, but rather too much to do than not enough.
You finding the same bud?

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Waterbutt Watch on 07:52 - Jun 19 with 7034 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've got buckets of the stuff. If you've got a long hosepipe I'll send some over for a reasonable fee.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Waterbutt Watch on 08:33 - Jun 19 with 6992 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Have you added any nutrition to the soil in recent years?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Waterbutt Watch on 08:37 - Jun 19 with 6987 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Are you over watering Benters? You probably know this anyway but surface watering can be detrimental as it encourages the roots to stay near the surface rather than go down looking for water. I have buried plant pots next to the toms and water into these. The same can be done in borders and your butt water would go further.

Waterbutt Watch on 10:04 - Jun 19 with 6933 viewsNo9

You not got a well in the garden?
Waterbutt Watch on 22:34 - Jun 19 with 6832 viewsVic

Waterbutt Watch on 08:33 - Jun 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Have you added any nutrition to the soil in recent years?

They’re in tomorite grow bags and have had one feed of tomorite feed a couple of weeks ago when the second truss set. It’s only a couple of plants, in 2 different grow bags so all getting same water and feed.

Pinewood - I could look at other sites via google, but thought the info I got on here would be far superior to anything I could get on a proper, professional gardening site.

Waterbutt Watch on 22:45 - Jun 19 with 6820 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Waterbutt Watch on 22:34 - Jun 19 by Vic

They’re in tomorite grow bags and have had one feed of tomorite feed a couple of weeks ago when the second truss set. It’s only a couple of plants, in 2 different grow bags so all getting same water and feed.

Pinewood - I could look at other sites via google, but thought the info I got on here would be far superior to anything I could get on a proper, professional gardening site.

I write most of those anyway Vic

Seriously, without seeing the symptoms, it,s very difficult to pinpoint the problem with said tomatoes.

Waterbutt Watch on 22:50 - Jun 19 with 6814 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Waterbutt Watch on 07:45 - Jun 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

Morning Sir,
It does indeed. Never known plants to grow as quickly as they have this year. Very busy at the moment, the old bones are starting to creak a bit, but rather too much to do than not enough.

Strimming all day today, bloody sore and more tomorrow ! My weather forecasting people are saying warm and largely dry from now through till the end of September.....we shall see. We had snow drifts 3 months ago!

Waterbutt Watch on 22:55 - Jun 19 with 6807 viewsgtsb

You are over watering them. The yellow leaves are a sign of that.
Waterbutt Watch on 23:02 - Jun 19 with 6802 viewsrosseden

get a couple of IBCs and harvest more water..... simples

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Waterbutt Watch on 23:26 - Jun 19 with 6783 viewsVic

Waterbutt Watch on 22:55 - Jun 19 by gtsb

You are over watering them. The yellow leaves are a sign of that.

I thought that might be the case and have tried to cut back. Interesting though that others in the same grobag are fine. Will cut back more and see if they recover.

Also - anyone else found this to be a bad year for seed germination? I had 1 French bean out of 100, my lettuces have been hit and miss (some drills just haven’t come up at all). Planted a load of antirrhinum seeds in a tray with decent seed compost and none have come up in over 2 weeks! Father in law says it’s the same for him.

Waterbutt Watch on 05:09 - Jun 20 with 6730 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 07:45 - Jun 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

Morning Sir,

Hedges are growing really quickly,grass isnt though.

Still its lovely out :)
Waterbutt Watch on 05:12 - Jun 20 with 6726 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 08:37 - Jun 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Are you over watering Benters? You probably know this anyway but surface watering can be detrimental as it encourages the roots to stay near the surface rather than go down looking for water. I have buried plant pots next to the toms and water into these. The same can be done in borders and your butt water would go further.

No mate,i hardly ever water my garden,tubbs and pots everyday,but not the more established garden plants.
Waterbutt Watch on 05:14 - Jun 20 with 6724 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 10:04 - Jun 19 by No9

You not got a well in the garden?

Not yet,but i do have a pond.
Waterbutt Watch on 05:29 - Jun 20 with 6719 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Waterbutt Watch on 23:26 - Jun 19 by Vic

I thought that might be the case and have tried to cut back. Interesting though that others in the same grobag are fine. Will cut back more and see if they recover.

Also - anyone else found this to be a bad year for seed germination? I had 1 French bean out of 100, my lettuces have been hit and miss (some drills just haven’t come up at all). Planted a load of antirrhinum seeds in a tray with decent seed compost and none have come up in over 2 weeks! Father in law says it’s the same for him.

Bit hit & miss for seed germination.
Has depended on the various gardens. Parsnips, sweetcorn very poor. Brassicas , tomato, leeks all really good.
Pansy, wallflowers & other bedding fairly average although have had enough to make a display.

Waterbutt Watch on 05:35 - Jun 20 with 6714 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Waterbutt Watch on 22:50 - Jun 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Strimming all day today, bloody sore and more tomorrow ! My weather forecasting people are saying warm and largely dry from now through till the end of September.....we shall see. We had snow drifts 3 months ago!

I find that strimming or hedge cutting for long periods strain my back. Had to cut short yesterday because of that, but at my age it,s not surprising.
Seen similar weather predictions chap. Possibly into the 30,s next week. Going to be a physically draining few months coming up.

Waterbutt Watch on 06:40 - Jun 20 with 6685 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 05:35 - Jun 20 by StochesStotasBlewe

I find that strimming or hedge cutting for long periods strain my back. Had to cut short yesterday because of that, but at my age it,s not surprising.
Seen similar weather predictions chap. Possibly into the 30,s next week. Going to be a physically draining few months coming up.

I love cutting hedges!

Grass cutting is boring though.
Waterbutt Watch on 07:01 - Jun 20 with 6663 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Waterbutt Watch on 05:29 - Jun 20 by StochesStotasBlewe

Bit hit & miss for seed germination.
Has depended on the various gardens. Parsnips, sweetcorn very poor. Brassicas , tomato, leeks all really good.
Pansy, wallflowers & other bedding fairly average although have had enough to make a display.

It would appear that M14 doesn't like pansies.

Waterbutt Watch on 07:12 - Jun 20 with 6651 viewsBenters2

Waterbutt Watch on 07:01 - Jun 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

It would appear that M14 doesn't like pansies.

Oh Crumbs you have said it now...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024