Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby loving in laws 20:14 - Jun 22 with 4409 viewsMattinLondon

Firstly, I just want to say that I like watching rugby union despite not knowing a lot of it.

Anyway, my in laws are big rugby union fans and never pass up an opportunity to take the moral high ground when football is mentioned. Does anyone else have the same problem?

The thing I just can’t understand is that despite regularly stating that they don’t like football they seem more obsessed football in terms of going out of their way in criticising it andfirmly believing that if you go to a football match you’re running the real risk of being caught up in a full-on riot. Especially so if my girlfriends brother who rants on and on about it and takes great delight in oddly calling it Wendyball. I don’t get it.
Rugby loving in laws on 23:12 - Jun 22 with 1300 viewsMattinLondon

Rugby loving in laws on 21:57 - Jun 22 by BLUEGOLD

I guess you only need to look at Pepe and Neymar falling over in the last few days to see why it is called Wendyball.

I hate that about football and the lack of respect for the officials.

Football needs to learn that from rugby.

Book every player who dives or who questions an official either during the game or retrospectively if the officials miss it.

And if all rugby players were sent-off - as in football - who raised their hands or stamped on an opponent then that might clean up rugby. Swings roundabouts.
Rugby loving in laws on 23:49 - Jun 22 with 1282 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 23:12 - Jun 22 by MattinLondon

And if all rugby players were sent-off - as in football - who raised their hands or stamped on an opponent then that might clean up rugby. Swings roundabouts.

They pretty much are. Very rarely happens now and likely to be a sinbin even if there's just a sniff of handbags.

Football on the other hand does have a discipline and cheating problem that we've been told even by pundits is part of the game and being clever.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rugby loving in laws on 03:51 - Jun 23 with 1241 viewsquirkie

Nothing wrong with a bit of Rugby, I live in proper Rugby country down here in Cornwall, football is called soccer here, Rugby is called Football.

I'm a black sheep of the family, most of mine play rugby, I played football.

Why is East Anglia a black hole in Rugby terms, you all a bit soft in that part of the world?

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Rugby loving in laws on 09:33 - Jun 23 with 1214 viewsmarcus1642

Rugby loving in laws on 03:51 - Jun 23 by quirkie

Nothing wrong with a bit of Rugby, I live in proper Rugby country down here in Cornwall, football is called soccer here, Rugby is called Football.

I'm a black sheep of the family, most of mine play rugby, I played football.

Why is East Anglia a black hole in Rugby terms, you all a bit soft in that part of the world?

I also live in Cornwall. Never heard anybody call football soccer, or rugby football. Cornwall does have a tradition of rugby, but then there's plenty of of lower level semi pro football, along with Sunday league stuff also.

There's plenty of plastic Man U fans down here I can tell you, and quite a few pubs showing footie on sky sports.

Do you live on the Lizard by the way?.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2018 9:37]
Rugby loving in laws on 10:12 - Jun 23 with 1206 viewsBlueBadger

Rugby loving in laws on 20:36 - Jun 22 by factual_blue

And footballers are rarely caught dwarf-tossing.

To think that big men could stoop so low...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Rugby loving in laws on 10:16 - Jun 23 with 1206 viewsartsbossbeard

When the sister & brother in law lived nr Basingstoke, I'd regularly help out playing rugger with the 2nd or 3rds just to make up the numbers.

Two observations:
1. A rugger bore is much more of a bore than a football bore.
2. A rugger tour is mainly made up of blokes who don't get out much and then go bat sh1t crazy after an afternoon session.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Rugby loving in laws on 13:58 - Jun 23 with 1150 viewsosborne

Let them know you think rugby is a fantastic sport - for anyone who is cr@p at football. You can back this up by the way it was invented - cr@p footballer deciding to cheat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024