Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Setting up business at home 08:00 - Jun 23 with 4273 viewstextbackup

Cut a long story short, wife is hoping to start working from home, which will mean us making a room in the house into her base. No structural change etc, will involve clients coming into ours daily, we have off road parking so not a traffic flow issue.
Has anyone else done this and what’s the rules and regs?
So far I’ve seen we need to seek advice from the mortgage company, and local council... but once they give the ok it seems pretty simple from there.
Thanks in advance

(To confirm the work won’t involve happy endings or facials)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Setting up business at home on 10:54 - Jun 23 with 4128 viewsMedwayTractor

Don't know why you think the local authority need to be involved, I didn't tell them when I moved my business from an office to home. As far as I am aware, you don't need planning or building regulations consent to run a business from your home.

On the other hand, you should inform your home insurers, you might be faced with an increased premium if, as you say, customers will be visiting the property.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Setting up business at home on 11:03 - Jun 23 with 4111 viewsgreyhound

Setting up business at home on 10:54 - Jun 23 by MedwayTractor

Don't know why you think the local authority need to be involved, I didn't tell them when I moved my business from an office to home. As far as I am aware, you don't need planning or building regulations consent to run a business from your home.

On the other hand, you should inform your home insurers, you might be faced with an increased premium if, as you say, customers will be visiting the property.

Unless you moved to a new mortgage provider I can't imagine your current provider will be that bothered.

Normal mortgage restrictions cap you to 2 rooms of business use a waiting room and one other. Any admin type roles will be fine. If it's an Eagle sanctuary she wants to set up things may be different
Setting up business at home on 12:11 - Jun 23 with 4044 viewsLord_Lucan

If ever there was a case of over thinking things I reckon you've nailed it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Setting up business at home on 12:33 - Jun 23 with 4018 viewswkj

I have to agreee I don't think you need to do much, the only time I think it becomes important to the authorities is when someone wants to do it in a council owned property.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Setting up business at home on 12:38 - Jun 23 with 4006 viewsSwailsey

Home and contents insurers and potentially mortgage advisor - that’s all I’d say.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Setting up business at home on 12:47 - Jun 23 with 3985 viewsEdmundo

Setting up business at home on 12:38 - Jun 23 by Swailsey

Home and contents insurers and potentially mortgage advisor - that’s all I’d say.

Agree with the above. We have built a small office in the garden (within planning regs size and height) & run a business for 4 years like that. Maybe just keep the neighbours sweet by offering mates rates to them/inviting them to any socials.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Setting up business at home on 12:58 - Jun 23 with 3965 viewsgreyhound

Setting up business at home on 12:38 - Jun 23 by Swailsey

If it's worth anything I am a mortgage advisor so pm and I might be able to get guidelines, but unless your business is renting your property out very few will care. I dare say more people do this than you realise and it just happens with relevant business insurance taken out. All things like this are considered around your current circumstances on the inception of the mortgage so if a future change happens that's OK but it may limit options if your ever to remortgage away. As others have said I really would over worry on it. The caveat is I we don't know what the proposed business is...
Setting up business at home on 13:09 - Jun 23 with 3945 viewsWestSussexBlue

Is it a food based business?
Login to get fewer ads

Setting up business at home on 13:26 - Jun 23 with 3925 viewstextbackup

thanks for all the replies and advice.

its not food based, its hair dressing (and if you know me then yes its pointless me being married to a hairdresser!)

LL - I know, but the last thing I wanna do is buy all the gear and set it up then get a boll0cking for it.

greyhound, ill PM ya

Setting up business at home on 13:36 - Jun 23 with 3908 viewsFurrow

Setting up business at home on 13:26 - Jun 23 by textbackup

thanks for all the replies and advice.

its not food based, its hair dressing (and if you know me then yes its pointless me being married to a hairdresser!)

LL - I know, but the last thing I wanna do is buy all the gear and set it up then get a boll0cking for it.

greyhound, ill PM ya

Dont forget your Public Liability insurance. It's cheap to take out, but covers you against any accidents, that may turn into a claim against you.
Remember everyone entering your home is a potential accident risk. And many people are complete clutzes anyway.
Setting up business at home on 13:52 - Jun 23 with 3887 viewsHennikerBlu

Setting up business at home on 13:36 - Jun 23 by Furrow

Dont forget your Public Liability insurance. It's cheap to take out, but covers you against any accidents, that may turn into a claim against you.
Remember everyone entering your home is a potential accident risk. And many people are complete clutzes anyway.

Exactly this! Make sure you have public liability insurance. You may be required to provide details about your home and they might ask for some adjustments, in my experience they are pretty helpful. Might sound fussy but think about the access into your house, door step, pathway on your property and ease of access especially for older clients.

In a sense you are turning part of your house into a shop so be mindful of that and people are coming by invitation. It is not uncommon, I have seen quite a few garages converted for this purpose, which is good as you can get, as it keeps your living space apart.
Setting up business at home on 13:59 - Jun 23 with 3877 viewsronnyd

Don,t know if the council will want to charge business rates on this. I,m sure someone on here will have experience of this.
Setting up business at home on 14:05 - Jun 23 with 3873 viewsLord_Lucan

Setting up business at home on 13:59 - Jun 23 by ronnyd

Don,t know if the council will want to charge business rates on this. I,m sure someone on here will have experience of this.

Even if they tried he would get 100% rate relief as the rates would be under £12k and it is his only business occupancy

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Setting up business at home on 14:07 - Jun 23 with 3862 viewsFurrow

Setting up business at home on 13:52 - Jun 23 by HennikerBlu

Exactly this! Make sure you have public liability insurance. You may be required to provide details about your home and they might ask for some adjustments, in my experience they are pretty helpful. Might sound fussy but think about the access into your house, door step, pathway on your property and ease of access especially for older clients.

In a sense you are turning part of your house into a shop so be mindful of that and people are coming by invitation. It is not uncommon, I have seen quite a few garages converted for this purpose, which is good as you can get, as it keeps your living space apart.

Do you have any disabled facilities If not could be construed as being Discriminatory.
Do you have downstairs cloackroom facilities of a decent size (not just a loo under the stairs). This maybe something you need to look into.
Setting up business at home on 14:13 - Jun 23 with 3851 viewsLord_Lucan

Setting up business at home on 14:07 - Jun 23 by Furrow

Do you have any disabled facilities If not could be construed as being Discriminatory.
Do you have downstairs cloackroom facilities of a decent size (not just a loo under the stairs). This maybe something you need to look into.

FFS

Mrs Text is going to butcher a few barnets, that's all.

Texters - PL insurance is necessary but aside from that don't bother letting "The man" know.

It's not a hanging offence.

What is wrong with everyone?

Setting up business at home on 14:27 - Jun 23 with 3828 viewsHennikerBlu

Good point and should be considered; but I think they will be fine.

The law is about 'reasonable adjustments', I have worked for corporates and run my own business. Small businesses are not usually required to make expensive adjustments and plenty of small shops don't offer these facilities. However, when you make changes to a building you would/may need to consider them and put them in if possible. Anything that is remotely dangerous needs to be dealt with, so a simple risk assessment is worth doing.

I had a Grade two listed building that older customers occasionally tripped over the huge Dickensian doorstep (I used to jump out and try and help them or stand at the door or shout mind the step (you get the picture), which I could not change because it was in a protected area, the door was too narrow for wheelchairs so I used to serve them outside the door. How times have changed.
Setting up business at home on 14:37 - Jun 23 with 3808 viewstextbackup

If I can manage to get in the house in my mangled state some weekends then disabled folk will be fine!
Will be cloakroom facility within the salon, and a waiting chair, posh as fck int I

Setting up business at home on 14:38 - Jun 23 with 3802 viewstextbackup

Setting up business at home on 14:13 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

FFS

Mrs Text is going to butcher a few barnets, that's all.

Texters - PL insurance is necessary but aside from that don't bother letting "The man" know.

It's not a hanging offence.

What is wrong with everyone?

Yeah she has the PL insurance due to currently being self employed at the salon she’s at.
Ta for info

Setting up business at home on 07:54 - Jun 24 with 3581 viewsuppersirbob

I moved my business 3years ago contacted Ipswich council they asked am I having signs put up on the house -no am I having 40ft trucks delivering -no but I have the usual DHL parcelforce, ups dpd etc -that’s no problem are you inviting 100s of people to your home on a daily basis - no but I will have some people come prob 10 max not at same time Ipswich council then said we are not interested sir , no council tax increase

Mortgage company nationwide we not interested asked the same question as ioswich council

Hope this helps

If your in Ipswich that is ,
Setting up business at home on 08:24 - Jun 24 with 3554 viewslinhdi

Your buildings and contents insurer will need to be informed. They may say go ahead, they may change terms of increase premiums, or they may require a business policy. Strange as it may seem, hairdressing is regarded as a relatively hazardous pursuit, due to use of heat and chemicals!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024