Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town managers 09:33 - Aug 17 with 4017 viewscarlo88

Looking back on all our managers since George Burley, we seem to have been a graveyard for everyone. Not one manager has gone on to better things since leaving us, and in most cases we seem to have finished their club careers off (Keane, Jewell, McCarthy still unemployed). Joe Royle probably wanted to retire anyway. I'm wandering is this a coincidence? Is there something about the owner, the crowd?

More to the point I think in Paul Hurst we have one of the best managers since Burley, and I really hope we don't lead to his demise. To be honest I wouldn't really mind if we are relegated, as long as the seeds were being sown for a better future, as we've done nothing for fifteen years. I hope we stick with him no matter how bad this season is, and it could get much worse before it gets better.
Ipswich Town managers on 12:16 - Aug 17 with 1170 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 11:58 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

Risk has to have a degree of calculation.

Refreshing the team with a selection of the best prospects from lower divisions is a calculated risk.

Deliberately plunging down into League One in the pious hope we could "win every week" and easily bounce back really isn't.

There's never going to be a 'deliberate plunging' though, except for a plumber or two.

Forgive me here, but let me be terribly silly and oversimplify. Which of these risk profiles would you prefer?

1. Top 6: 1%; Mid Table: 99%; Relegation: 0%
2. Top 6: 20%; Mid Table: 50%; Relegation: 30%
Ipswich Town managers on 12:18 - Aug 17 with 1161 viewsTrumptonBlue

Ipswich Town managers on 12:08 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

You could fit through narrower doorways. Quick way of losing weight. Gets you out of piano lessons. All sorts of advantages.

Fair points. OK, carry on.
Ipswich Town managers on 12:21 - Aug 17 with 1157 viewsPJH

You could fit through narrower doorways. Quick way of losing weight. Gets you out of piano lessons. All sorts of advantages.

Just a bit of armless fun really.
Ipswich Town managers on 13:17 - Aug 17 with 1119 viewsGuthrum

Ipswich Town managers on 12:16 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

There's never going to be a 'deliberate plunging' though, except for a plumber or two.

Forgive me here, but let me be terribly silly and oversimplify. Which of these risk profiles would you prefer?

1. Top 6: 1%; Mid Table: 99%; Relegation: 0%
2. Top 6: 20%; Mid Table: 50%; Relegation: 30%

Closer to the latter, obviously. But that's calculated risk.

It's those welcoming a drop to L1, as if it were some kind of improvement - and I have seen such things suggested - who are at question here.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ipswich Town managers on 13:18 - Aug 17 with 1118 viewstractorshark

No one is suggesting you have to play risk-free, boring football to survive in this division.
I’m just saying relegation to League One is certainly not a guaranteed route to long-term recovery.
However, I am pretty sure if we’re in the bottom 3 at Christmas, Hurst will sacrifice some of his attacking intent to get points on the board.
He knows in all likelihood he will be out of a job if we go down.
Ipswich Town managers on 13:56 - Aug 17 with 1094 viewsElephantintheRoom

Ipswich Town managers on 11:30 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

A manager should be risk loving. Its an entertainment business after all. Minimising the risk of relegation assuredly ensures slow decline to obscurity. Hmmm, there's common ground with austerity perhaps?

Now we don't know if relegation would be positive or negative in the long run. But taking the risk, and shifting away from the monotony, will spark more interest.

Being in Division 3 turned out alright for Town last time. This thread is barking down the wrong tree. The manager isn't the problem - its the owner. I'm not sure any club has prospered outside the Prem with an owner dipping his fingers in the till.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ipswich Town managers on 14:17 - Aug 17 with 1085 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 13:17 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

Closer to the latter, obviously. But that's calculated risk.

It's those welcoming a drop to L1, as if it were some kind of improvement - and I have seen such things suggested - who are at question here.

Option (1) is the risk averse opton. Option (2) is what all fans should go with. Its not that folk are welcoming relegation. It is an acknowledgement that risk loving behaviour, even if does go wrong and relegation occurs, isn't necessarily a bad outcome.

Mid-table obscurity, in contrast, is always going to be a bad option (except perhaps for the owner)
Ipswich Town managers on 14:40 - Aug 17 with 1066 viewsMullet

Ipswich Town managers on 14:17 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

Option (1) is the risk averse opton. Option (2) is what all fans should go with. Its not that folk are welcoming relegation. It is an acknowledgement that risk loving behaviour, even if does go wrong and relegation occurs, isn't necessarily a bad outcome.

Mid-table obscurity, in contrast, is always going to be a bad option (except perhaps for the owner)

Maybe fans should make up their own minds based on what's there not made up fantasies?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Town managers on 14:53 - Aug 17 with 1058 viewsrfretwell

My neighbour lost a leg after falling down the stairs drunk. Infection set in and he had it amputated. Next thing he gets given a council flat and turns up with a blonde bombshell on his arm!
Ipswich Town managers on 15:22 - Aug 17 with 1035 viewstractorshark

Ipswich Town managers on 13:56 - Aug 17 by ElephantintheRoom

Being in Division 3 turned out alright for Town last time. This thread is barking down the wrong tree. The manager isn't the problem - its the owner. I'm not sure any club has prospered outside the Prem with an owner dipping his fingers in the till.

The last time we were in the third tier was the 1950s.
The footballing landscape may have changed a bit since then.
The owner may well be the problem but to suggest he’s dipping his fingers in the till is harsh.
The bloke has lost significant money investing in Ipswich.
If he could turn back time, I bet he wouldn’t have bought us.
And I am sure if someone made him a realistic offer, he’d bite their hands off.
Ipswich Town managers on 16:39 - Aug 17 with 1007 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 14:40 - Aug 17 by Mullet

Maybe fans should make up their own minds based on what's there not made up fantasies?

You could perhaps have improved on that sentence, but no bother. The overly simplistic risk comparison is, however, quite pertinent. It describes why the change in regime is so positive, despite the higher risk of relegation.
Ipswich Town managers on 16:50 - Aug 17 with 989 viewsMullet

Ipswich Town managers on 16:39 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

You could perhaps have improved on that sentence, but no bother. The overly simplistic risk comparison is, however, quite pertinent. It describes why the change in regime is so positive, despite the higher risk of relegation.

No it doesn't. It's statistical masturbation to suit your own agenda, one could easily insist this change heralds a 100% "risk" of promotion or relegation and be as accurate.

After your last dalliance here, probably best you tread carefully on the pseud stuff.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ipswich Town managers on 16:57 - Aug 17 with 977 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 16:50 - Aug 17 by Mullet

No it doesn't. It's statistical masturbation to suit your own agenda, one could easily insist this change heralds a 100% "risk" of promotion or relegation and be as accurate.

After your last dalliance here, probably best you tread carefully on the pseud stuff.

Nope, its a simple example used to demonstrate risk aversity (and its irrelevance for the football fan).

Now you might want to blubber, that's your free will. But try to blubber with more risk loving abandon?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024