Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sustainable eating 09:18 - Sep 5 with 10682 viewsStokieBlue

Quite an interesting article from the Guardian on sustainable eating:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/05/ditch-the-almond-milk-why-everythin

Obviously not all are workable in everyday life but it's an interesting read, especially around some of the carbon footprint statistics.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sustainable eating on 20:45 - Sep 5 with 2158 viewsJ2BLUE

Sustainable eating on 20:38 - Sep 5 by Reuser_is_God

Is it along the lines of Eat Well for Less?

It's more broad than just food. The presenters are excellent. How they haven't just told him he's a moron is beyond me. He said he has a £3000 watch which isn't even set at the right time because he looks at his phone and wants an £8000 watch and basically admitted it was just to look flash.

Then they were both laughing that they don't save a penny and would be fooked immediately if anything happened.

Just total, total morons. The level of stupidity between them has really irritated me!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sustainable eating on 20:49 - Sep 5 with 2149 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 14:57 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

The article isn't about converting people, it's about how to improve their current habits. It's not even entirely centred on the actual foods but the packaging etc.

Why is it a weird dig? The facts on almond milk and tofu are surely quite interesting? The more information the better I would have thought?

SB

Not denying those facts, but the whole article is a bit like trying to put a chip fire out whilst the entire house burns around you.

Where does the line start and end with converting/improving? Eating any tofu will have a lower carbon footprint than any meat.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sustainable eating on 20:51 - Sep 5 with 2144 viewsDubtractor

Sustainable eating on 20:49 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

Not denying those facts, but the whole article is a bit like trying to put a chip fire out whilst the entire house burns around you.

Where does the line start and end with converting/improving? Eating any tofu will have a lower carbon footprint than any meat.

You're missing the point, nobody eats meat to try and be more environmentally sustainable do they?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sustainable eating on 20:54 - Sep 5 with 2134 viewsjeera

Sustainable eating on 20:41 - Sep 5 by Dubtractor

Its not that they can't be, more that due to their colour the optical sorters struggle to identify them - you need to consider that the volume and scale of these facilities are huge and it relies on automated processes to separate materials. Here is a bit of info:

http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/recyclability-black-plastic-packaging-0

The government/Defra are releasing a long awaited (waste has been a policy vacuum under this shambles of a government since 2010) resources and waste strategy later this year and part of that could/should be increased producer responsibility for the cost of treating/disposing of the materials that are put into the market place.

The current cost of collecting and treating waste sits wholly with councils and therefore the tax payer. This is an opportunity to push some of the cost burden back on the companies putting it into the market place and it could/might lead to better product design as companies look to reduce the cost burden upon them.

Of course, it will probably come to nothing or be a half arsed solution, though Michael Gove has been making the right noises and I think is keen to demonstrate that "Brexit Britain" can lead the way on environmental policy without the EU.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 20:42]

Thanks for the info. I will look through later.

I am quite stringent when it comes to recycling; if I'm unsure I will look up codes on packaging etc when it's feasible and try to do the right thing.

I have often seen people I know who do want to recycle but mistake some items for recyclable or non-recyclable when binning them and ultimately possibly cause more issue for someone down the line, chucking stuff into the wrong bins.

Rule of thumb then Dubs, for those who are unsure about an item, if in doubt don't put it in with recyclables, or the other way around?
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 21:06]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sustainable eating on 21:00 - Sep 5 with 2133 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 20:51 - Sep 5 by Dubtractor

You're missing the point, nobody eats meat to try and be more environmentally sustainable do they?

It recommends eating lamb but says BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR TOFU. There’s so much backwards about that which Herbivore covered quite well earlier in relation to soy and animal feed. Doesn’t need me to say much more to connect the dots.

Article is odd to say the least, potentially slightly agenda driven or outright silly at worst.

TWTD never forgets…

Sustainable eating on 21:06 - Sep 5 with 2115 viewsDubtractor

Sustainable eating on 21:00 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

It recommends eating lamb but says BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR TOFU. There’s so much backwards about that which Herbivore covered quite well earlier in relation to soy and animal feed. Doesn’t need me to say much more to connect the dots.

Article is odd to say the least, potentially slightly agenda driven or outright silly at worst.

But it doesn't recommend eating lamb at all! I think You're the one looking for an angle.

It states that food miles alone are a poor way to measure sustainability, but uses lamb as an example. It doesn't in any way shape or form recommend eating lamb.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Sustainable eating on 21:09 - Sep 5 with 2105 viewsfooters

Sustainable eating on 21:06 - Sep 5 by Dubtractor

But it doesn't recommend eating lamb at all! I think You're the one looking for an angle.

It states that food miles alone are a poor way to measure sustainability, but uses lamb as an example. It doesn't in any way shape or form recommend eating lamb.

Although I will because it's fcking delicious.

As you were.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Sustainable eating on 21:12 - Sep 5 with 2091 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 21:06 - Sep 5 by Dubtractor

I’m not missing any point, just making a valid one in to relation as to why the premise of the article is poor in picking and choosing sustainability.

I stand by that comment.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Sustainable eating on 21:15 - Sep 5 with 2075 viewsjeera

Sustainable eating on 21:12 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

I’m not missing any point, just making a valid one in to relation as to why the premise of the article is poor in picking and choosing sustainability.

I stand by that comment.

It does say that much of the stuff grown is for animal feed and there's plenty of other info there too.

Anything that gets people at least thinking is something.

It won't be aimed at those who already know better either way.

Sustainable eating on 21:16 - Sep 5 with 2072 viewsjeera

Sustainable eating on 20:54 - Sep 5 by jeera

I am quite stringent when it comes to recycling; if I'm unsure I will look up codes on packaging etc when it's feasible and try to do the right thing.

I have often seen people I know who do want to recycle but mistake some items for recyclable or non-recyclable when binning them and ultimately possibly cause more issue for someone down the line, chucking stuff into the wrong bins.

Rule of thumb then Dubs, for those who are unsure about an item, if in doubt don't put it in with recyclables, or the other way around?

Wtf is wrong in there Callis?

You have an issue with people trying to recycle?

Sustainable eating on 21:18 - Sep 5 with 2074 viewsfooters

Sustainable eating on 21:12 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

I stand by that comment.

Think you're nit-picking a bit here. The article's just some throw-away lifestyle piece written by an over-worked hack who probably isn't paid enough to bother researching to the level you'd deem acceptable. It's mainsteam; it's fine, and gives some people some useful information on the products that they may be using. That's all.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Sustainable eating on 21:18 - Sep 5 with 2073 viewsDubtractor

Sustainable eating on 20:54 - Sep 5 by jeera

Best bet is to check your council website, which will almost certainly have a guide of what can/can't be recycled in your bins, but if still unsure then it is probably best not to put in with the recyclables.

Sustainable eating on 21:18 - Sep 5 with 2072 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 21:16 - Sep 5 by jeera

Wtf is wrong in there Callis?

You have an issue with people trying to recycle?

Not so much wrong as missing out some considerably strong information on the one single thing you could do tomorrow to drastically reduce your CF more than anything else on the list.

TWTD never forgets…

Sustainable eating on 21:24 - Sep 5 with 2042 viewsjeera

Sustainable eating on 21:18 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

Not so much wrong as missing out some considerably strong information on the one single thing you could do tomorrow to drastically reduce your CF more than anything else on the list.

With respect mate do feck off.

Anther thread all about you.

I'm bailing.

No one is allowed to have a chat with you about.

Sustainable eating on 21:26 - Sep 5 with 2041 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree but there's some good info in there. The almond water stats are amazing, especially when California are in some sort of long term mega drought.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sustainable eating on 21:55 - Sep 5 with 2014 viewsStokieBlue

Sustainable eating on 20:49 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

Edit: I messed up with my replies :).

SB
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 22:04]

Sustainable eating on 21:57 - Sep 5 with 2009 viewsStokieBlue

Sustainable eating on 21:00 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

I'd argue it's less agenda driven that all your posts in this thread thus far.

Each element listed is in isolation, you comparing them is misinterpreting the intention of the article.

SB

Sustainable eating on 22:03 - Sep 5 with 2003 viewsStokieBlue

It's not an article about veganism or converting people to veganism. It's about sustainability of existing habits but you go ahead and derail another thread on your one man quest to ruin any food or environmental thread on the board.

SB
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 22:12]

Sustainable eating on 22:28 - Sep 5 with 1961 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 21:24 - Sep 5 by jeera

With respect mate do feck off.

Anther thread all about you.

I'm bailing.

No one is allowed to have a chat with you about.

Are you on another meltdown?

TWTD never forgets…

Sustainable eating on 22:30 - Sep 5 with 1956 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 22:03 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

It's not an article about veganism or converting people to veganism. It's about sustainability of existing habits but you go ahead and derail another thread on your one man quest to ruin any food or environmental thread on the board.

SB

Your agenda is showing again. I’m being nothing but civil but you and Jeera seem to have a bee up your a*se because the post has “callis” next to it.

TWTD never forgets…

Sustainable eating on 04:48 - Sep 6 with 1886 viewsBenters2

Sustainable eating on 22:28 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

Are you on another meltdown?

It’s the use of the nasty arrows.

End of.
Sustainable eating on 06:50 - Sep 6 with 1865 viewsStokieBlue

Sustainable eating on 22:30 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

Your agenda is showing again. I’m being nothing but civil but you and Jeera seem to have a bee up your a*se because the post has “callis” next to it.

You're posts in this one are totally agenda driven, you are attempting to turn it into it another discussion about veganism and how you are saving the planet when that's not what the article is about.

You've also entirely misinterpreted the article as others have highlighted but then you doubled-down.

The responses you get are entirely function of what you write and how you write it. To scream victim and agenda every time is getting tiresome.

SB
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 6:56]

Sustainable eating on 07:53 - Sep 6 with 1838 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 06:50 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

You're posts in this one are totally agenda driven, you are attempting to turn it into it another discussion about veganism and how you are saving the planet when that's not what the article is about.

You've also entirely misinterpreted the article as others have highlighted but then you doubled-down.

The responses you get are entirely function of what you write and how you write it. To scream victim and agenda every time is getting tiresome.

SB
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 6:56]

I scream “victim” because apparently as someone how has dedicated a large chunk of my lifestyle to Sustainable Eating for environmental reasons you feel my perfectly reasonable and fair comment on an article you shared can be brushed off with personal vendettas and abuse.

Bored of this enlightened centralist cr@p you claim to push when really you’re one of the most pointlessly argumentative and personally abusive posters on here.

TWTD never forgets…

Sustainable eating on 08:29 - Sep 6 with 1819 viewsStokieBlue

Sustainable eating on 07:53 - Sep 6 by monytowbray

I scream “victim” because apparently as someone how has dedicated a large chunk of my lifestyle to Sustainable Eating for environmental reasons you feel my perfectly reasonable and fair comment on an article you shared can be brushed off with personal vendettas and abuse.

Bored of this enlightened centralist cr@p you claim to push when really you’re one of the most pointlessly argumentative and personally abusive posters on here.

That first paragraph is nonsense as that's not what happened as others have pointed out.

You get called out every thread by many posters, often not me yet it's me being personally abusive (please point out where this has happened, pretty sure you won't be able to).

I would summise that your last last paragraph is a perfect description of yourself. You made the worst personal attack on someone I've ever seen on here in 20 years last month. I'm amazed you survived it to be honest.

Thanks for ruining another thread which many were enjoying before you came along and said nobody was doing enough unless they were a vegan and that the article was pointless.

SB
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 8:34]

Sustainable eating on 08:38 - Sep 6 with 1810 viewsNo9

Sustainable eating on 22:03 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

SB

If the UK, never mind the rest of the world, is going to feed the population there has to be a move away from the 'market' system to the sort of system that sustained the population until the end of the 70's.
It matters not whether that is on meat, vegetable or scereals the present system is far too wastely and far too costly
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024